LPR / Silent Reflux sadness. Do you have blocked ears?

Posted , 35 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I have had LPR for two years without much success with PPIs. I do not get the burning but i do get a constant mucus feeling in my throat, some coughing, tightness in back of chest and above all the feeling that my ears are blocked all the time and post-nasal drip. All i want to do is sleep now because it is making me very sad and lonely.

When will this all end?

4 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I was just diagnosed with LPR. I also suffer from oral lichen planus. I too get blocked ears with pain. I can't sleep at night with constant mucus, throats clearing, painful throat when swallowing and annoying cough. I did however just start using Zantac and I've been very careful with my diet. It's quite troublesome. Im hoping it will get better but it actually is worse than before I knew about food restrictions and not to eat 3 hours before bedtime etc. During the day it comes on suddenly with sometimes no regard to what I've eaten or drank. I'm getting to the point where Im afraid to eat. I'm sorry you've had this for so long. I got diagnosed by my ENT. The sore throat has been persistent for close to a year. 

• Posted

Hi, I hope you get a reply from you. I have a burning sensation on my right side of the throat and blocked ear. How did lichen planus appear in your throat? I have grayish patches on my tonsil, I wonder if it is that or not. Thanks
  • Posted

Ask about the new Linx surgery and see if anyone is doing it in your area. Instead of the old fundopulen (spelling) surgery that requires a big incision the Linx is an expandable titanium beaded band that is done laparoscopically. I'm going that route. I am in the states and it's being done by Dr. Adrian Park at the Anne Arundel Medical Center in Annapolis, Md.

• Posted

I am new to this discussion.  Cough, post nasal drip, blocked ears the list goes on and on . Have seen numerous Dr's, one mentioned "silent reflux". Since then I've been following Dr. Jaime Koufmans advice on diet (have 2 books she wrote). Anyone else know of her? I have totally changed my diet but still have symptoms but not as bad. One ENT I went to recommended PPI 40mg twice a day based on evidence he saw doing a test. Dr. Kaufman also uses PPI when diet doesn't solve problems. 

Would love feedback.

Thanks

• Posted

I have this GERD/Silent Reflux and HH - nightmare.  Yes I have heard of her many times.  I refused PPI's last year and use Ranitidine 150 am and pm, plus Pepzin and Mastic Gum.  Things were good for ages and it has come back as bad as ever, if its not in the throat, it is the chest and back.  Now pain when I eat anything.  Don't eat meat or onion, garlic, spices, citrus, chillis etc etc.  No caffeine, only water all day.  I was thinking about the PPI's I still have in the packs and wonder whether I should go on them to give me a chance to heal.  Really reluctant as hard to get off them and the risk to the bone (osteo).  But that interests me in Dr Kaufman using them, did you get them off Amazon.  You get to the point of having a go at anything don't you.

Kind regards

G.

• Posted

Hi elle. Im suffering a very similar problem. My ears and mouth is permanently blocked and i have strange movement in my face. Always feeling bloated. The doctor has just put me on some tablets called Lamprosol and some others called butylbromide. Been on them one day symptoms getting worse but could be the tablets working on the problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.