LS

Posted , 11 users are following.

So The steroid ointment should only go on the white patches and moisturiser all over but really nothing you use will actually cure it.???????

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Coconut and Shea butter.  I have a large jar of shea and wondered if anyone has used it in place of the coconut?  Shea and coconut was recommende by a doctor for estremely dry skin
    • Posted

I use coconut oil for loads of things icluding cleaning my teeth with a littel bicarb in it. Fab teeth whitener. Use it on thick toenails too to soften before cutting.
  • Posted

Me again.  I am so weary of researching my carpul tunnel is acting up.  Any one else on a no sugar diet?
    • Posted

I think a lot of us find that eating a lot of sugar can contribute to a flare. No sugar would be impossible. Even carrots and beets have sugar. But ridiculous hits like candy bars, heaping sweet desserts, soda pop, etc. Pretty easy to cut those out. Most flavored commercial yogurt is full of sugar. You might as well eat those 'pudding cups'. Buy or make plain yogurt and put fruit in it. I sweeten mine very slightly with maple syrup and add my own fruit or slightly sweetened rhubarb sauce.
    • Posted

I have no issues with the natural sugar in fruit and even honey. My diabetes is not affected by real food. It is only cane sugar in cakes and lollies etc that impact my sugar levels. 

So, I basically do not challenge the LS with sugar too often.

I will have a piece of birthday cake or some ice cream occasionally.

• Posted

I am trying to cut down just recently. But there is sugar in a lot of things. 
    • Posted

I think if the food is a good one e.g. baked bean, then the sugar component is not so bad. Beetroot is another one. Diabetics are told that we have those foods because they are good ones but empty calories like cakes and biscuits and soft drinks are not worthwhile calories to have. 

It is impossible to avoid sugar altogether but lots of sugar especially where the first ingredient is sugar is bad.

Fruit is excellent and my diet includes two pieces per day to help with other conditions I have.

White flour is apparently bad because they use a chemical to bleach the flour.

• Posted

This is so weird.  I have recently been trying to lose weight for an operation I am due to be having and decided to reduce all bread, cakes, scones, biscuits and sugar to almost never.  I use low salt and sugar beans etc.  I have given up any pre made sauces in favour of making my own as I discovered my favourite pasta tomato sauce had 9 teaspoons of sugar in it per serving. 

If I am hungry I snack on fruit or protein. Sweet tooth satisfied with fruit I am not having so many cravings.  If I do sugar free jelly filled with lots of fruit seems to work. I have lost 11.5 lbs slowly over the past 8 weeks.  I have noticed that I am not flaring at the moment.  I am having structural problems but I seem to be managing those at the moment with the clob andmoisturiser.  This is something that has been going on for a long time. 

I am now thinking that my diet has definately been helping.  I thought making the sauces would be a bind but it is so easy.  It is hardly more work than opening a jar, a chopped onion, a few herbs or spices and a tin of tomatoes.  The weird thing is I often tweeked a jar with my own herbs or puree.  I am saving so much money too not buying sauces, cakes and sweets.  No more sprouting onions in the cupboard, I use them.  I am also enjoying cooking more now and look forward to making our meals. 

If I am going out I put the slow cooker on in the morning and come home to beautiful meals ready to eat, quicker than heating up a ready meal.  I feel much better too.

Sorry I will get off my speakers box.  Just so excited about all this. I wanted to share.  Diet definately seems to help calm things down.  I haven't totally cut out everything just reduced everything to moderation.

• Posted

I loved reading all that! Well done to you for losing weight. I can lose some but keeping it off and not returning to bad habits is really hard!

I am glad you are enjoying cooking.

I have cheese and yoghurt to help my bones but abstain from junk food for the most part.

If you are too hard on yourself you break out anyway so best to have the birthday cake or a glass of wine if you like wine which I do not.

Eggs are great too. I found I lacked albumin on my blood tests so I try to have eggs at least once a week.

I think maybe we should celebrate what we can have because it is a lot of different foods and not worry about the junk we do not need anyway!

• Posted

Ok.that makes sense.  Sometimes I get a little obessive complusive and then because I feel I'm not doing "it" right I just get frusrated and say heck with it.  I am learning fast that this disease really does a number on our emotional state.
    • Posted

You are so positive and I can telll you are excited.  In responding to Kathleen above, I mentioned how LS really does affect us very  emotionally.  Thank you so much for your post.  You make me want to start cooking ! I am going to try.

• Posted

I live in maple syrup country and buy it from my neigbours. Honey is fine.
    • Posted

I have a neighbor who makes honey...so honey is ok for sweetner.
    • Posted

Judy, I drink two cups of coffee a day, both with two heaping teaspoons of white sugar in them. My rubarb sauce has just enough sugar to make it pleasantly tart, not sweet. Other than that I use honey and maple syrup. It's not as if we're allergic to sugar, it's that it's fuel for inflammation. A large amount in a serving is like throwing gasoline on a fire. It also appears (certainly in my case) that yeast has some sort of devillish relationship with LS. Sugar definitely feeds yeast. So that's why I keep my sugar intake low without obsessing about every molecule.
    • Posted

Thankyou.  I have eggs quite often.  I stopped when they went on about cholesterol but then found out that eggs have good cholesterol in them so I am back eating them again, and have been for 6 months.  My cholesterol is lowest for a long time.  Good cholesterol ok too. 

I really think that too much bread is bad for me which would go along with Morrell's thinking that yeast is not good for this condition.  Maybe the sugar causes flare ups by feeding the yeast although I do not and never have had any yeast infections.  So many thoughts about this.  So confusing.  Hey I'm just pleased to lose some weight and I have a plan to maintain by keeping off the bread, cakes and sweets generally and only having them for a treat maybe once a week.  I have decided that as my sister lost many stone and put half a stone back on when she started eating bread again so she is cutting it out again.

I learnt a while back that sweetners are not bad for you.  They were apparently bad mouthed by another industry who feared they would lose business.  I now use them but alternate which ones I use as long term use of some is not recommended.

• Posted

Me..its a pain, but necessary, every single time I eat anything sweet I pay for it.   I can hardly believe how I react to sugar!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.