LS and accidity/alkaline

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm not a scientist.  Perhaps there are others among us who know more in this regard.  My thought is:  What happens when we age, other than hormonal change?  Does our body become more accidic perhaps?  Could that be the underlaying cause for some forms of LS?  In other words - could a chemical imbalance result in LS? 

2 likes, 169 replies

169 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

There's a great leap of faith between topical application of baking soda, which is a tried-and-true first aid thing, and believeing we can affect our entire body's pH, which is pseudo science found on a lot of supplement websites.

"All foods that leave your stomach are acidic. Then they enter your intestines where secretions from your pancreas neutralize the stomach acids. So no matter what you eat, the food in stomach is acidic and the food in the intestines is alkaline. Dietary modification cannot change the acidity of any part of your body except your urine. Your bloodstream and organs control acidity in a very narrow range. Anything that changed acidity in your body would make you very sick and could even kill you. Promoters of these products claim that cancer cells cannot live in an alkaline environment and that is true, but neither can any of the other cells in your body. All chemical reactions in your body are started by chemicals called enzymes. For example, if you convert chemical A to chemical B and release energy, enzymes must start these reactions. All enzymes function in a very narrow range of acidity. (The degree of acidity or alkalinity is expressed as "pH."). If your blood changes its acidity or alkalinity for any reason, it is quickly changed back to the normal pH or these enzymes would not function and the necessary chemical reactions would not proceed in your body."

• Posted

That winky face shouldn't be there – it took my parenthesis and made one.
    • Posted

It is not cut and dry, it seems.  Thinking that topical use has an interesting cleansing affect.  I'm testing things further.  This morning I did a specific foot bath with baking soda.  This I will continue to do to see what happens with the skin disease on my feet.  

Baking soda in my mom's era was big for cleaning.  But also when small wounds didn't heal so easily, to prevent further infection perhaps, the foot or hand was soaked in warm water with baking soda for a while.  

I would be careful with internal use.  Just my thinking.

• Posted

I completely agree, Hanny. I just bough a big bag of it to use in my soaks.

• Posted

Morrell--Ah, gee whiz. I enjoyed the winky face being there!  smile  We need some humor from time to time, especially in serious research quotes!  (Just teasing--shows that I'm really reading these, right?)
    • Posted

Thanks Morrell!  This acidity, alkalinity thing has been bugging me.  If pee can change in its PH how does this change occur I wonder.  Does it lower (become more acidic) with stress?  Also, I read somewhere that thrush thrives in an alkaline (high PH) environment - which is not too good for those of us prone to it if we are using Bicarb.
    • Posted

There are a lot of unanswered questions in my mind as well.  However, since there is a considerable positive change in how LS is reacting to the baking soda rinse I keep searching for answers.  There is more happening in our bodies when we grow older other than hormonal changes, I'm sure.   
  • Posted

Please take care when making drastic changes to your body chemicals. The electrolyte balance is finely tuned, Death can occur  when the balance is disturbed too much. Keep to a healthy balanced diet. The liver is THE organ to cleanse the body, look after that organ and keep it healthy, not too much fat or alcohol, there really is no such thing as a detoxing diet, just a healthy diet. the liver detoxes the body beautifully and has done so for millions of years. Detoxing usually means making your bowels more active!
    • Posted

Thank you, Sue. Thank you. There's a lot we can do for LS to supplement the standard meds, but let's not get carried away grasping at straws.
  • Posted

Having frequent bowel actions will alter the electrolyte balance, as will copious vomiting 
  • Posted

I am a bit late entering this discussion but would like to add to it concerning diet.  There is no doubt in my mind that diet has a big part to play in health and illness.  Acidic foods are often high in protein.  In order for the body to maintain a neutral ph in the blood, alkaline minerals such as calcium and magnesium are used to counteract the acidity.  This is why I don't think that milk is a good source of calcium - the more you drink, the more calcium you need as milk is acidic and high in protein.  It is far better to get the calcium from alkaline foods such as leafy veg. 

As far as LS goes, it is most likely to be an autoimmune disease which is aggravated by foods that cause inflammation.  If you google autoimmune diet, paleo diet or inflammatory diet, you will find an idea of what should and should not be eaten for anyone with autoimmune symptoms.  For me I certainly find that too much sugar is the main culprit.

As for nutritional supplements, I wouldn't recommend that anyone takes minerals without consulting a nutritionist.  The form that they are in, the proportion taken in relation to other minerals and the quantity taken can make the difference between helping and hindering recovery.  It is a complex subject and so easy to make a mistake.  Vitamins are not so problematic and there is certainly something to be said for having a multi vitamin supplement.  Fatty acids are a useful supplement but always make sure that you take one with omega 3 and 6 in it - the common mistake is to just take cod liver oil (omega 3) or evening primrose (omega 6) and this throws the body out of balance.  There are combined supplements that are much better.  I wouldn't take amino acid supplements for longer than one course unless you really know what you are doing as they also need to be taken in proportion.

I have qualified as a nutritional practitioner and as someone else said, the more I learn, the more I find there is to learn.  It is a fascinating subject.  I would certainly encourage anyone with health problems who is interested in diet to visit a nutritionist - you need to ensure they are properly qualified.  Those on the BANT website are approved by the British Association for Applied Nutrition and Nutritional Therapy.

Sue

• Posted

HI Sue

Welcome back !! I've missed you.

Where you been ? Everything ok?

Maybe you've been away having a really positive experience and are back with gusto....thanks for re-appearing and hope all is well with you.

Very best wishes from Mary 

• Posted

Happy to read that you keep an open mind.  I just had to think about the fact that the greatest discoveries are often first  laughed at.  

I gradually start to understand why my doctor has put me on magnesium.  Just trusted that he knows what he's doing.  Helpful to know about Omega 3 and 6 as well.  I take both magnesium and Omega 3.  

• Posted

Hi Marey

Thank you!  I have been busy doing other things.  I rescued a badly treated dog and he has been taking up a lot of my time.  He needed an op and a lot of TLC afterwards.  He is still not completely right but so much better - a different dog.

As for my health, I have been symptom free for a while now thanks.  I have tried to stop the CMO and celadrin but then the LS comes back.  It isn't a big deal to keep up with them so that is what I do now.  How are you doing?

Hanny, magnesium is one of the better minerals to take but what form is it in?  The doctors usually prescribe magnesium sulphate as it is the cheapest form but there are better ones to take.  I would personally take a good multi mineral that contains magnesium (preferably citrate or ascorbate) so that the other minerals do not get depleted but taking it on its own for a short while certainly won't be a problem (I would take it away from food so that it does not interfere with the absorption of other minerals). You need to ensure that you take a good multi if you decide to do this and I will happily message you with a site that does a good one if you need it. You are likely to be more deficient in omega 3 than omega 6 so taking omega 3 for a while is OK too.  I would eventually switch to a supplement that contains both though. Do you mind me asking why the doctor prescribed magnesium?  It is quite refreshing to hear as most prescribe calcium which upsets the magnesium intake.  Magnesium and calcium work together - magnesium relaxes the muscles and calcium contracts them. 

Hope that you are managing your LS now too.

Sue

• Posted

Hi Sue,

Can you tell me what CMO is please?

Thanks

Claire

• Posted

Mary, I should have added that I have just ordered some celadrin capsules for the dog (special dog ones)!  He has really inflamed feet from being so badly treated so I am hoping the anti-inflamatory properties of celadrin will work on him too! I have spent a fortune finding dog shoes that stay on but it would be good to get his feet well again.  He hasn't been walked for a long time and one dew claw was so long it was imbedded in his foot.  He had a toe amputated after being run over and now he walks badly on one foot so the celadrin has a big challenge ahead!  The op he has just had was to fix a hole in the pad of his foot too but that seems to have worked.  Anyway, I know this is not a pet forum so I won't bore you with the rest of his history!  Suffice to say he is a pampered and loved dog now. smile

Sue

• Posted

Hi Sue, I would have to ask my doctor regaring the magnesium.  He kept adding and substracting to the extra's I take and because I started to all the time feel better, trusted that he knew what he was doing.  I'm planning to soon make another appointment again, also since a lot has happened meanwhile.  Perhaps more fine tuning needs to happen.  
    • Posted

Hi Claire.  CMO cream is cerasomal-cis-9-cetyl myristoleate.  I think the easiest thing is to google it.  I had a long thread a whiile back on this forum called Alternative to Steroid Creams where I mentioned it.  At that stage I had not discovered celadrin.  Celadrin is a similar product but there are much more proven results for it for autoimmune diseases.  I take the celadrin capsules and tried the cream but it burned.  I therefore still use CMO cream which is amazing.  With CMO cream and celadrin capsules, I have got rid of LS, including reversing the fusing I had.  I do have to keep using both though or it comes back. 

Past posts of mine have not been well received by some people as they believe that using anything other than the steroids is dangerous and can allow the disease to escalate.  I personally have not found this to be the case and wanted to let people know that.  I cannot say that this route is right or will work for anyone else but my point has always been that everyone should be able to make their own choices but deserves to have a full picture of what is available.

Hope that answers your question

Sue

• Posted

I have used CMO for a long time, but eventually it somehow stopped working.  No answer as to why.  But it may again tell us, that there are indeed more than one variety of LS.  Perhaps it is time to find out in what way the various LS's are different.  

I'm happy to see you sharing your findings.  It's important that we all learn about the possibilities that are out there.  

• Posted

Sorry to hear it stopped working for you.  Perhaps the celadrin cream would work for you?  You are right - we are all different and the label LS means something different to us all.
    • Posted

Thanks for that. I started taking celadrin about a month ago, along with dietary changes (no sugar/diary/gluten) and touch wood alls well at the mo, but will keep CMO in mind. Ta 

Claire 

• Posted

so glad the gluten free is working for you claire...I found a huge difference and my CRP dropped dramatically .....am VERY impressed that you'v e  quit dairy too....that is challenging. WElldone. I ve just been following a month long de-tox and am now re-introducing foods....will see if I have any reactions. How are you getting on with these changes and do you have any tips? Are you making coconut milk for example? One thing i am trying to find is a non-dairy yoghurt starter. xxxxxxxxx
    • Posted

Thats a lovely story sue...far from boring. This is hanny's thread and I'm sure she will be delighted that you feel able to share this progress with your dog's welfare. What is his name?
    • Posted

Hi Mary.  My dog's name is Scruffy - he suits his name far less now!  He already had that name when we fostered him (he was supposed to be with us until another home was found but we fell for him and kept him).  He certainly was scruffy - he is a long haired Jack Russell and his hair was wirery and matted and he had flees. He squealed when he was picked up. I don't know if that was diet related - he had bow legs and I think he may have had rickets.  He had a dreadful diet and no access to sunlight so it is possible.  He could also have been bruised from being kicked.  It is such a joy to see him now remembering what a sorry state he was in.  

I agree with your reply to Claire.  Well done for making changes to your diet Claire.  It isn't easy making the start but hopefully gets easier as you get into a routine.

Sue

• Posted

yeh...celebrating you claire !!!!!!!!! xx

Would you share some tips with us? Would you say that you have an awareness of alka lin ity?

So glad that Scruffy is now such a happy dog. Thank you so much for rescuing him Sue. You've done a great job.

Your story reminds me of an abused horse I heard about who used to tremble when his name was called ....he refused to come or to respond in his new home..he made them change his name (!!)...which they did. Now he's happy to respond.

Thanks for starting this thread hanny ..its great! Very interesting. 

• Posted

hi sue

thanks for your kind enquiries after my health.

I'm very glad to hear you have control over yours its so important to feel we can do something isn't it? 

i'm doing ok....am following a protocol devised by a woman who healed herself from LS and was discharged as recovered by her gynaecologist...so it can be done. i'm hoping to be able to share the book title when it comes out so that others will come on board...i like the concept that the rising tide floats all the boats...so that we pull each other up. i do have difficulty with due conformity but am making progress ...would love to get everyone on board once the workbook comes out so folk can follow together and we can help each other along. I don't know why but not leaving anyone behind and doing things in a group is somehow important for me!!

in addition to LS i've also got thyroiditis...hashimotos as have antibodies...and am following another book for that...the two compliment each other. at the mo until i get my TSH levels down the strategy is to avoid iodine...thereafter once my tsh falls to 1 or below....was 4.5...went up to 5.1 before i read current book and was experimenting with iodine (which is very important in our diets and is protective especially from breast cancer) ...so i've cut it - iodine - out... for now...have yet to get a follow up TSH reading per blood test but i know my inflammatory levels are on the high side still, but resolving, as am being consistent with thyroxin ...at low dose 25 mcg. Thereafter i will re-introduce iodine at very low levels and slowly...in the hope of kick starting my own thyroid hormones. thats the plan in a nutshell. !! thanks for the question!! you may not have expected such a fullsome answer but you got one!! every one here is very kind and we all know that we care about each other ...even if we don't agree....!! so bit like a family we hang out and wish each other well !

I do have a question for you...do you know of a source of iodine free, food grade, multivitamins? I did find an excellent food grade source but it has a healthy dose of iodine...great for most but not for those of us with thyroid issues and current inflammation. xx 

• Posted

Hi Mary

I admire you for doing so much to help yourself.  I completely understand as it was my health that prompted me to start studying nutritional therapy. I strongly believe that our bodies are like a car and need the right fuel to run.  Unlike a car though, they try to keep going even when we put the wrong fuel in.  Some of us have been manufactured to withstand more than others but I think we can all benefit from looking at what we eat.  I agree with you about the friendliness of the forum members too - even if we don't have all the answers, they say a problem shared is a problem halved.

Most multi supplements have iodine in.  The only company I use that has good quality multi supplements without it is Archturus Heathcare. It is not very good nutritional practice to recommend supplements without having had a full consultation but I don't mind doing it if you realise that I may have missed something.  If you are ok taking calcium supplements (do not take calcium if you have high blood pressure, gall/kidney stones, have had a stroke or at risk of one) then you can't do much better than the Choline & Inositol Formula 1 supplement from Archturus.  If you don't want to take calcium then their Magnesium Formula One product is good.  I would also take their vitamin C & E supplement as that is missing from the multi and so useful.  The minerals in the multi supplement are in citrate form which is far more easily absorbed than those you buy in the health shops.  It means the calcium is likely to end up in the bones where you want it and not lining the arteries or forming gall stones.  Do be careful if you are trying to come off of thyroxin though - it is most usual to be able to stop once you have taken it but I hope it all works out for you.

Sue

• Posted

thank you so much sue !i really appreciate your detailed answer. The calcium balance is one thing I am very mindful of in particular the risk of dumping in the coronary arteries and the hazard attached to synthetics.

i may not be able to come off thyroxin and will accept that if so...but my interest currently is in attempting to re-lower my TSH  using anti inflammatory foods in addition to support from thyroxin...am taking  levothyroxin....however it has lactose in it. can hardly believe that i'm developing all these intolerances....always been so hale and hearty but both parents had - opposing - thyroid issues, one hypo the other hyper....so there was some inevitability. i would consider trying natural  dessicated  thyroid, from pig, a stoical animal that i respect ....but if i do have either a lactose or casein allergy and cut out dairy in addition to gluten if my CRP  and antibodies don't go down completely then i know i'll need to move away from levo and try another thyroid med.

i think candidiasis can be a factor in 

• Posted

LS ....it is a multi faceted disease with several layers to be unteased.
    • Posted

having difficulty with site going slow....but once again thank you so much for sharing this resource.
    • Posted

It sounds as though the Magnesium formula 1 would be a good multi for you with another C and E supplement.  I am sure you will see a big improvement in your health with all the effort you are putting in - good luck!
    • Posted

Hi,

Sorry I dont have any tips and Im not even doing the diet thing religiously - nearly but I do have the odd cheat. I think sugar is my biggest problem because if I do have anything sugary it makes be feel quite sick. I had noticed this before (before LS) but I am actually taking notice of what my body is saying now! Also going to stick with the Celadrin (all the time Im doing well dont want to jinx it by changing stuff!). It is hard going without but its a small price to pay to be without pain and discomfort. I haven't used any steriod cream / emu oil for about 3 weeks now.  Even had sex for the first time in god knows how long and no after effects at all. Hallelujah !! Sorry, not aware of alkalinity in the body or what that entails.  Just learning stuff from you lovely lot!

x

• Posted

fantastic news claire...hey we are getting somewhere...so many of us improving. The tide is rising higher and all our boats may soon be afloat !! Is n't that a lovely metaphor? Hey my brain fog is even beginning to lift a bit...all this collective action....such a boost ! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    • Posted

Thanks sue....I agree ..am rather keen on magnesium too. Have at long last found some epsom salts...so there's another source...absorption thro skin whilst soaking in the bath !!
    • Posted

Thank God for these forums! I think everyone pooling their advice and info really helps. I learnt from the past not to rely on GP etc, you get much better help online from people experiencing and living with such things.  

Happy Halloween Everyone!!! XXXXX  

• Posted

Had a closer look at the magnesium intake - it's a combo of calcium and magnesium.
    • Posted

hi Hanny.  Magnesium and calcium are elements that cannot exist on their own.  The supplements are made with the these elements combined with something else.  What they are combined with is the important bit as well as the quantity of the elemental calcium or magnesium.  I would not like to take a supplement where the elemental amount of calcium is more than that of magnesium if I was interested in reducing inflammation which I think you are.  How much is the elemental amount of calcium and magnesium and what form are they in?  Magnesium oxide is common but not a very good supplement.   I would also steer away from calcium carbonate.  Also bear in mind that the body can only absorb about 500mg of calcium in one hit.  If you are taking more than this in one dose, you run the risk of calcium deposits elsewhere in the body.  If it does not say on the bottle what form the supplement is in then you have cause for concern.  Sorry to worry you about this but it is so easy to take the wrong supplement by mistake! 

Sue

• Posted

I have to trust that my nature path has the knowledge to advise me correctly.  He has put together this whole bundle of supplements.  I could certainly ask questions the next time I see him.  Just to make sure I get the best guidance.  
    • Posted

Of course.  Hope you didn't mind my input - always hard to know how much advice to offer, especially over a forum.

Best wishes.

• Posted

oh sue...your willingness to share is very generous!

thank you so  much !!!!!!!!

I completely understand how you feel. I don't want to committ to any one source of advice but love to share...however in a book a complete strategy can be outlined...with all the appropriate disclaimers...so there is no liability. We get very close to each other on here but no one wants to mislead anyone ....nor, by contrast, to be relied upon..... since each of us is exploring and is hopefully taking responsibility for our own health. After all no-one else can do this for us; no-one else has a greater interest in our health than ourselves...and for all these reasons I would not 'farm out' my health to anyone else. I choose to stay in control...but i listen carefully and respectfully to others...give out as much as I can and also look for advice than I consider to be competant. Such as yours in particular.

I entirely agree about the calcium / magnesium balance. Then there are the precursor elements to other bodily substances other balances and so on and so forth. None of these nutrition and naturopathic principles are studied by medical students and the lack of training in this area is a serious shortfall. Some are making up for this and by admission take on further training. This movement has resulted in the emergence of a new breed in The States

In her book ginny makes various recommendations about how to take in magnesium and we've had some great suggestions on here. the calcium balance will therefore be something of an art.

I've always liked the argument that health can be seen as an art...rather than solely as a science. It is so much more graceful.

during our respective trainings my med student boyfriend and me used to go to each others lectures for fun. There was lots of philosophical discussion about medecine as a science or an art ...but ofcourse the public aren't privy to these dialogues and can get a rather lopsided view.

I'm musing just to share...think many of us are on the same page ...ie that we're not suffering from a shortage of clobetasol...but rather some more fundamental elemental bodily process requirements. Inflammation can only be supressed for so long. But maybe that period of time could include for the remainder of a life time? Who knows . That is a valuable option for some ...so is included in the equation of legitimacy .

However for younger women ...and the less compliant (like me!!!!!!!!) others options are going to be sought and in fact demanded. Perhaps we might insist on no further payments to medical doctors til they start acting in our interests...to be defined...!

But I have always understood that I was a servant of the patient...so attitude comes into it. When we want tests and so on ..here is where a more appropriate attitude could be expected ...however interpretation and as a consequence the outline of treatment follows testing. There's a big shift going on. Including one necessitated from patients. I could go on !!!!!

But I agree with you about the mag/calc balance.    the sodium/poattasium balance etc etc

• Posted

I don't mind other people's thoughts at all. I hope I haven't discouraged you. You are right, expressing well via a forum isn't easy.  All of the things around LS are just so complicated.  And one can so soon forget important details.
    • Posted

I think, Marey, that I was lucky to meet doctors who have an open mind.  Where my own input is appreciated and considered even. All of us  are only human of course, sometimes a person can get stuck in certain ways and other aspects can no longer be viewed or taken in consideration to find new solutions.  With all that we have and know, the people working in the medical field have had to consider the limitations put on them via insurance and pharmaceutical industries. Before all knowledge can be bundled for the greater good ... It is so good to have this forum with courageous people who dare to share.   
    • Posted

Thanks hanny! I 'd like to put myself in that category!

• Posted

Sue...I love the sound of archturus. So glad to have found something uk based. our friends in the states might also benefit as i know many end up going to europe for stuff.

am going to try to copy some of this thread over to alt med as joy is struggling with this issue now and it would be great to go into further depth with these considerations. x

• Posted

Thanks hanny! I 'd like to put myself in that category!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.