LS and thrush

Posted , 9 users are following.

Am fairly new to all this so am still trying to find my way. I haven't had thrush for many many years and have now had it twice in a short space of time. I read that its associated with LS Is that right? For me the LS was just around the anal area. Now am really sore all around the vulva. Dont know if this is due to the thrush or the LS spreading. Everything is all red, sore and inflamed. I don't know how much longer i can cope with this pain. It's agony.

Also, how long does dermovate take to work? Is 2 weeks too short a timespan to say? The dermatologist said it should have worked by now but based on past experiences, i don't have much faith in the medical profession.

Thanks for any replies. Feeling desperate.

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

HI Joanne , so sorry for your flare problems. I can't speak to dermovate personally though I agree with the doc most people on here have mentioned that ti works sooner than 2 wks.

My experience with LS also started at the anus... and then found its way to the vulva and perineum. I have been ever so grateful for learning about vitamin D3 on here and then I went on to study upon all the cofactors of D that are needed to rebalance our biochemistry etc.

For you now, I'd like to suggest what i learned from one of my healthfood store brilliant people who IS a oral LS sufferer. He told me about Aloe Vera Gel some months ago that I shared on here. 2 tablespoons with 4 -5 drops of tumeric essential oil- Really helps my bottom. Tony the health store nutritionist said that he uses the liquid version of Aloe Vera for his mouth swishing about 15 minutes a day.

DON't forget you can always take an Ibuprofen! smiles - it didn't occur to me for months before it dawned on me... ahhhhhh relief...

• Posted

Feel for you Joanne. I think thrush is linked with LS but that treatment is different as its a fungal infection. And when i first used steroid (Betnovate) it took 4 weeks to see results altho my main issue was fusing. I had no pain, just irritation. Are you using other creams for moisturizing? They are essential for me, but i should imagine best not to use them whilst you have thrush. I hope everything settles, remember LS can go into remission and thrush can be cured - best of luck.

• Posted

Ive not found the dermatologist to be that helpful so no idea what to use or whens the best time to use stuff. I'd bedn using the dermavate twice a day for 2 weeks so couldn't really put moisturiser with that. Or do you moisturise first and then apply steroid? Whats the best moisturiser? I've now been switched over to protopic but it burns and so i daren't use it on the really raw patches which are causing me the most pain. It hurts to walk and to sit and i just want to get it under control. Now got the thrush too. Its never ending

• Posted

Once again, it sounds as though you are not getting the advice you need. so many of us end up confused by what doctors say.

I've just written a reply further on in this thread about using borax which might help soothe both thrush and LS symptoms.

My GP told me to apply moisturiser before applying steroid, in case of spreading the steroid into wrong areas by doing it the other way around. However, when I use steroid, I apply it on it's own overnight. The rest of the time I moisturise regularly and vary the creams. Have you tried emuaid?

• Posted

Hi.

If its thrush you need to be using a steroidal anti fungal asap.

I was given Daktacort cream, worked within a few days.

For the LS I have Elocon...Mometasone Fuorate. Not as strong as Dermovate, so not as much of an irritant and worked within 48 hours.

I use Vaseline as a moisturising barrier and find this regime works for me.

Good luck.

F

• Posted

Thanks Frances. Will see if i can get some Daktacort tomorrow. Is that better than canestan treatments? Will ask my dermatologist about getting the different steroid.

• Posted

joanne, were you tested for thrush or assuming it is because of symptoms?

All of us with LS seem to experience it differently. In my case I didn't know I had it. Saw a gyn re a fleeting vag infection. Initially I thought it may be yeast, then BV because of sometimes odor. Gyn detected no infection, just the LS and atrophy. (Knew I had atrophy; was diagnosed several years prior, but had decided not to use hormones at that time.)

Very surprised by LS diagnosis. Was prescribed a steroid cream for it and hormone cream for the AV. (Gyn said my LS was caused by lack of estrogen.) Using the hormone cream has reversed the atrophy, but it does not affect the LS. The steroid cream worked well & quickly for the LS according to gyn, but I still have very small areas so am continuing with steroid. (Triamcinolone , not dermovate.)

Almost 6 months into this the infection symptoms have lessened, but have not gone entirely. Gyn had me mix Nystatin with the hormone cream, but that did nothing. May even have caused soreness. Took a round of flagyl pills which immediately stopped the vag itch, but it returned shortly after. Wanted to try metrogel, but the cost was too high.

Some women think the internal itch is caused by LS, but as the flagyl stopped my itch I think it is bacterial. As it is mild & fleeting I just rinse with slightly salted water which alleviates most discomfort.

Sorry yours is causing you so much discomfort. Do you see a gynecologist as well? Mine has been very helpful. Have not seen a dermatologist.

Some women swear by baking soda and or borax. I tried the BS but I found it very drying. Everyone is different. Have you read previous posts on LS? You will find different theories, but steroids are the most effective according to everything I have read. Hope you find relief soon.

• Posted

Hi Beverly,

Was tested the first time for thrush and now its the same again. The LS has been a massive shock. I have herpes and was at my GU clinic and they told me that what i thought were herpes sores was actually the LS. The consultant swabbed the area to make sure but came back negative. I've had it swabbed a couple of times just to make sure. He gave me the dermavate. At that point wasn't really in pain so didnt use the steroid. Then things got worse so started it but no improvement. Thats when i found a dermatologist. He said it was either lichen sclerosis, planus or simplex. He thought more than likely L S based on what id said but couldnt be sure without a biopsy. Thats out of the question for me due to other health problems. Hes put me on protopic but it burns on the red skin so darent use it on the raw patches. Am so depressed. Am not getting anywhere. I've never seen a gynae.Is stress a big trigger cos my stress levels have been sky high but impossible to get them down. Ive read some of the posts in here. There's so much to take in, am feeling abit overwhelmed. I just thought the steroids would work.

• Posted

joanne, I am no expert, but the fact that the steroid has done nothing seems odd. If you are able to see a gyn I'd go. Are you menopausal or postmenopausal? If so try to see a gyn who specializes in menopausal problems.

Wonder if an antihistamine would calm things down. Have you tried that? I have had rashes in the past that went wild or extreme reactions to insect bites and had antihistamine injections that brought the reaction right down. You could try over the counter.

When you say you were tested for thrush do you mean it was positive? If so can't you take Diflucan instead of using cream?

• Posted

Joanne - as you've said you didn't use the dermovate straight away, could it have been an old tube? My GP tells me to discard steroid ointment after 4 - 6 weeks as it loses it's potency and no longer works.

Definitely try borax soaks or swab with a solution of it - it is very soothing.

Also I would say definitely ask to see a gynae or dermatologist.

• Posted

I'm peri menopausal. Yes, i tested positive for thrush. Definitely got it again now too but am really concerned at how much worse the redness is. Its spread from the anal area to the vulva. Unfortunately i can't take any oral meds or even vitamins due to 2 stomach problems so I'll have to use a cream for the thrush.

• Posted

I didn't know that about discarding after 4 to 6 weeks. The tube i've been using was definitely older than that. I really hope that's the reason its not worked.

Don't know anything about borax. Where do you get it from?

• Posted

sarb,

I wasn't told that either. I use such a small amount I have more than 1/2 a tube left after 6 months. When I told the doc I had a tube left over from having poison ivy she didn't mention it would no longer be effective. Wonder what a pharmacist would advise.

• Posted

Hi Sarb, I'm not sure that is correct as I see my Gyno yearly and receive a new tube of the steroid cream then. For some people the steroid cream (depending on where they live) is very expensive and they simply wouldnt be able to replace it every 4/6 weeks.

As an aside I am not receiving any new posts or posts that I am following..I am trying to rectify that problem with the moderator.

• Posted

Hi Joanne, honestly, the cream wont get rid of the thrush, which is why it is re occurring, plus, for some people thrush and LS go hand in hand and so if you are not dealing with it correctly it will continue to re occur and cause your LS to become worse.

The main treatment is Diflucan and sometimes oral Nystatin. Candida left to run wild will make you very ill and can become systemic (which I've experienced) and I actually believe causes your body to almost shut down.

I actually believe that Candida is the root of many auto immune diseases.

• Posted

Hi Guppy, I can only go by what my GP has said. I am in the UK and can get a new tube of betnovate on prescription every 6 weeks, which I do as GP has advised this.

I wasn't receiving posts either for a time and it seemed the website had me down as a professional, which I certainly am not and had never said I was. They emailed to ask me and once I had put them right the posts started coming through again.

• Posted

Why does it make the LS worse? I can't take any oral meds at all so creams are my only option. Does a tablet mean it won't recur at all? I'm done for if thats the case

• Posted

joanne, have you tried going on a yeast free diet? That should certainly help.

• Posted

I just checked my tube of Triamcinolone which has a date a year from now stamped on it.

• Posted

Beverly, Maybe my GP is wrong. She said it deteriorates once it's opened. I would be interested what other doctors would say if asked.

• Posted

Hi sarb, I have sent a note to the moderator and so hopefully it will be sorted out..thanks a lot.

• Posted

Hi Joanne, sometimes people get thrush prior to a LS flare up..it seems there is a connection between the two. I know in the past if I have a LS flare up I seem to get thrush as well. I doubt that the candida (thrush) problem will go without oral medication but go back to your doctor and see what he says, he might have other options for you.

Have you tried dipping yogurt into a tampon and trying that for a few days? that might work, and also eating lots of yogurt too.

• Posted

sarb, I would guess everything deteriorates once exposed to air, but those tubes are pretty airtight once the cap is back on. I suppose a scientist could better answer the question.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that you are suffering Joanne. Is there a vulval dermatologist anywhere near you? There's also so much good advice here, as many of us have had bad from our doctors.

Regarding the longevity of the steroid...

Remember when there was a fire at the dermovate factory and none of us could get dermovate? I had a generic brand and it said to discard after three months once open. I did and got dermovate again on the next prescription. I scoured the dermovate notes but there was nothing about it going off so I asked the pharmacist. He said it was to do with the carrier the substance was suspended in and different brands used different things, If it doesn't say anything on the tube then it remains potent. He also said that it could mean that people bought more of it, or that they were covering themselves... all a bit inconclusive, but his point was it should stay potent, but read the leaflets that come with it and act on their advice.

On a different note, are you using the ointment (vaseline-like texture) rather than the cream? I think there was an old thread on here once saying that the stuff that makes the cream white can be an irritant, and also the ointment stays on better.

• Posted

I'd been using the ointment. Reading posts on here for people new to LS i've read that it takes time for the steroid to work. I don't believe the dermatologist was right to transfer me onto protopic after only 2 weeks. He said it usually works during that time period. The thing is i don't fall into the 'usually' or 'most people category. I've had illnesses since age 16 and if there's something that rarely happens, it ALWAYS happens to me. Anyway i'm seeing a gynacologist next week. Don't know if im doing the right thing but i'll see what she has to say.

• Posted

joanne, did you ask the doctor why he put you on the protopic? You're best not following along with what doctors give you without asking as many questions as possible, especially with the issues you have. Sounds as though he is treating what appears to be an allergic reaction to the steroid as the protopic calms an overly sensitive immune system, but you'd really have to discuss it with him if you haven't already. And keep a log as it's pretty confusing!

None of this seems to be cut and dried. That may be the case with skin conditions in general; haven't had much experience with them myself. LS is a whole new conundrum for me. I'm waiting for a call back from my gyn's office re how often I am supposed to be using both the steroid & hormone cream as I've had to alter each over time due to reactions (presumably) to both and am not sure at this point if I have it right. My next appointment isn't for months so I want to be sure I'm not creating more problems.

You didn't mention if you're trying to combat the yeast with diet. If you can't take oral meds I would definitely try to stop feeding the yeast which can be done through diet. You had asked about stress initially. That makes everything worse no matter what is wrong with us, so try whatever you can to relieve it. Easier to say than do, but it's worth trying various methods till you hit on what works for you.

• Posted

Hi Bev,

Yes i always ask lots of questions. I detest the medical profession. They've been more of a hindrance to me than a help over the years with my many health problems. I was transferred to protopic because the dermatologist we needed a new treatment approach since the steroids were not working. He was adamant that after 2 weeks there should have been improvement. I did explain that my body doesn't fit into the 'normal' bracket but what would i know. At that point i knew very little about LS and I kind of assumed that a professor of dermatology would know the correct treatment protocol. Anyway, the protopic isnt helping and i wish i'd just persevered with the steroid. I'm getting nowhere fast.

With regards to yeast and the diet. I'm trying as best i can but it's very difficult to cut yet more food groups out. I was already on a very restricted diet before the LS. Now with the LS i've had to eliminate sugar and reduce dairy. I've lost 2 stone and i was slim to begin with. There 's not a chance of reducing my stress. It's been one health problem after another this year. It all feels very hopeless.

• Posted

joanne, I will PM some options to you. Occurred to me they would be blocked because of links.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.