LS Immunity

Posted , 11 users are following.

Had to be careful with the title as the moderator moved a recent post of mine to another category,hopefully this will not end up somewhere else as I have put LS in the title.

I'm wondering as LS is considered an auto-immune condition...does this mean that the body needs to be helped to improve immunity OR as LS is a condition where the body is attacking itself...does that mean the immunne system is overworking?

I am confused.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi

LS is an auto immune condition according to my consultant so its important we keep our immune system healthy.  i eat well, exercise and take supplements to help me keep my immune system strong.  Unfortunately i do think stress is a factor to.

• Posted

Good question. My understanding is that it's the body attacking itself. The reason for estrogen and hydrocortisone, barrier creams, etc, etc is to help fight back. I agree with Jackie for me stress is a major factor
  • Posted

Overactive immune system is what I hear, which is why mu doc prescribed an immune suppressing medicine
  • Posted

Interesting question, I have no answer. Also because I do not really understand how the immune system works and suspect that it is more complicated than at first sight. 
  • Posted

The state of the research is still open. It may be an autoimmune disorder or it may be triggered by trauma, or it may start with some sort of infection like herpes or the same spirochete bacterium responsible for Lyme disease. These are all the subject of ongoing research. In Dr. Goldstein's presentation he shows that there are three inflammatory proteins responsible, but there is no drug that hits only those three. Hense the 'shotgun' solution of steroids.

Inflammation is the subject of much faddish info on the internet, but it's safe to say that our particular bodies produce these particular inflammatory proteins in response to some things (sugar, stress and skin trauma for sure) that don't cause other people any trouble. 'Autoimmune disorder' is about as useful a label as 'genetic'. They just haven't gotten to the bottom of it.

• Posted

Marey, you've rooted out this response to a six-month-old thread. My answer is nicely summed up in a New Yorker article I found while trying to find out what all these fodmap posts of yours are about. The upshot is I kind of like the idea that the vital wheat gluten industrial bakeries add to bread could be the thing that's been causing people trouble.
  • Posted

Hi, I think the general consensus is that Lichen Schlerosus is an auto immune disorder, and many people, about 1 in 4  with Lichen Sclerosus also have other auto immune disorders which actually supports this view.   I started out with Oral Lichen Planus, then last year I was diagnosed with Ulcerative colitis (I do have a genetic link to IBD in my family) and then two months later Lichen Schlerosus.

My understanding of this condition is that the body is confused, it is attacking itself, basically your immune system has become compromised (no one knows for sure exactly why this happens) it has gone into overdrive, and cannot stop, its weird and complicated and scary all at once, and yet sometimes with Lichen Schlerosus you can sometimes find that key,  that "switch" that will turn it off, sometimes for months, and sometimes even for years.

I think it is well known and well documented that sugar is bad for sufferers of Lichen Schlerosus, and therefore watching what you eat is very important.  I have only recently realized just how allergic I am to dairy products!  I knew I was lactose intolerant, and so I made the necessary changes, but for some reason I would cheat every now and then, not realizing the damage I was doing....  

For example, recently over Christmas I had some problems with my kidneys, I had some tests done, all was fine, but I knew the medication I was taking for my Ulcerative Colitis was making me feel very ill, but the company that supplies these drugs was closed for Christmas, and so I had to wait until the New Year, all the while still continuing to take these pills and feeling ill.   I was certain that my pills contained Gluten, which is often in medications, however I was wrong and very shocked when I rang the company and they explained that there was no Gluten in my pills but there was Lactose!!!!   Lactose is apparently in a lot of medications, so it is always worth checking any pills before taking them.  I have had to discontinue taking these pills and three days ago started on some new medication, without Gluten and more importantly without Lactose! 

I mention this in the hope that some of you may realise how easy it is to continue to take foods that are detrimental to your health without fully realising it,  and  also because I have had some problems recently with my undercarriage, which I think may be directly related to my unfortunate situation with my Meds over the Christmas period.

• Posted

Auto immune disease?  I keep questioning - why is it that LS goes dormant for a while when you have taken anti-biotics?  Isn't it that anti-biotics fight bacteria?

On the other hand - sugar and now also dairy trigger my LS.  What happens in your body when you take in too much sugar?   

I'm clearly not a scientist, just questioning.    

• Posted

Hi Hanny, I guess we are all looking for answers.   I'm no scientist either, but its interesting that you have found your LS goes dormant for a while after taking antibiotics....everyone is different of course.  

Speaking of antibiotics, I believe it was antibiotics that ultimately gave me Ulcerative colitis, my doc thought I had dysentery and when the first dose of antibiotics didn't work he gave me more!!! I think for some people with an auto immune disorder taking antibiotics is risky...and many many people on the support group for UC that I frequent claim that their U.C. started immediately after taking antibiotics!....just something to think about.

I'm not sure what happens when we take too much sugar, but I think its not good!! and that it definitely causes Candida, which in turn  then causes so many problems, some very serious once it grows out of control, and I just hope that more research is done.

• Posted

Thanks for all these observations Guppy. How diligent you are! I am having a really good go - in a relaxed way - about sussing out what I'm reacting to. Doesn't take rocket science to work out that its probably the unnatural things that have been processed, de-natured, synthesized and otherwise generally messed about with. I've given up dairy too but do wonder if I'd be OK with raw?
    • Posted

I use a food diary to monitor food allergies, and that seems to work for me.  If I could I would  eat cheese and yogurt, unfortunately I am not able to...   I am seeing an allergist next month though as I have a serious problem with perfume, household cleaners etc, and there appears to be a link between the two.  
    • Posted

good for you. i'm planning some tests...undecided yet as to which.

enjoy your testing and Good Luck with it. Please do keep us up to date with this strategy. What we test improves!

• Posted

It is when the body is attacking itself and I personally believe it is because are body isn't working right do to a deficiency have myself been researching and trying different things while my LS is not cured it is slowly getting better but my energy and mood gave improved drastically I have only been doing this combo for a week and feel an amazing difference stopped eating gluten drink wheatgrass everyday stopped birth control take coconut oil biotin vitamin D and airborne immunity and calcium I'm also want to take pro biotic but because of the price I'm eating acktivia yogurt I have read that a lot if autoimmune dieses are a big affect of a bad gut so I would just do research and try what sounds good to your situation hope this helps
    • Posted

This is great news athena. May I give you a big pat on the back?!! And say that I'm joining you on this path and would like to keep in touch and follow closely with each others progress.

Yes what you said is very helpful! Thanks. Really great news.

• Posted

what is airbourne immunity? maybe its a make and i'll google. thanks.

one thing you might find with probiotics that I came up against

is that unwittingly we can feed the bad bacteria.This might not be the case with you  - but look out for it. Just depends on the level of dysbiosis. If you do find increased digestive issues you'll be where I am. The quadary. Shall I agree to treating the pathogens with more anti-biotics (which caused gut damage in the first place) or an allopathic styled alternative which is oregano oil? Then move into the immediate next phase which is re-establishing healthy gut flora. Apparently possible in a week or less. I am minded to try this but first want to make fully sure I've sealed my gut. There is a test for this.

• Posted

For me too - gluten free mainly made a big difference for the gut. ( I was tested non celiac gluten sensitive) Taking sugar out a big second one.  Overal I feel better this way.  Due to other health issues I also had to take out caffeine and alcohol.  Especially during the winter months I take D3 and add some calcium.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.