Lucia is waiting with a light/candle at the end of the tunnel

Posted , 14 users are following.

To-day is the Lucia Day in Sweden. She comes with candles in her hair and in her hand. She enlightens us in the darkest period of the year with light and songs. This morning, I didn´t have time to watch TV programmes with Lucia and "Star boys" accompanying her as I had to go to rehab early. I thought back at celebration of Lucia when we went to school and when the children celebrated Lucia. If you are interested to find out more you can google Lucia in Sweden and also find songs on Youtube**.

On December 13 in 2008, I got off pred after 3 ½ years of pmr and GCA. I had found out a new way of tapering slower than before and finally got off pred. I chose to say that I did it on December 13 - the Lucia Day in Sweden, because it is easy to remember and it also is a positive day. For us who have or have had pmr and/or GCA it is nice to know that Lucia is there with a light at the end of the tunnel. I have now been off pred for 10 years and I hope when you read this that it helps you all thinking about a happy end soon.

At last, I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

8 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Welcome for your annual visit Ragnar!!! Ten years and still free of PMR and pred - great news.

• Posted

what a fun post--and how i needed it today! Im in the states...used to think about this holiday when i was a little girl, and wonder how i would do...it just seemed so magical to me. thank you for taking the time to think of us, very sweet and kind.

• Posted

much appreciated happy holidays to you too !

• Posted

Hi Ragnar

One visit I will always remember and the outcome.

Yes, you can choose St Lucia's on 13th December, the day we finally met in the North East led reduction plans which have been of great benefit to so many others during the past 11 years and are still being followed and now medics now do not put up to much stiff opposition when patients discuss those plans.

EileenH won't tell you, so I will, the DSNS that EileenH developed was tried out by a Researcher on a small project and gave it the 'thumbs' up. So Dead Slow and Nearly Stop and Tortoise and Hare have been sent to many patients all over the world. I have sent them out so I know where they have gone.

Meeting Captain Bob on the Good Ship PMR on the Canadian site, by sheer accident, was meant to be.

My GCA 9th starting on 1 January 2019 in remission.

Stay well my friend and your family healthy and happy.

• Posted

So timely! I had my 6 month checkin with my Rheumatologist yesterday and showed her the DSNS Protocol along with the Bristol results. In front of her 4th year med student. She wasnt thrilled. The student looked intrigued..

Grateful for this thread and the opportunity to say 'merci!' Wishing all the empathetic and informed folks on this platform a warm and laughter-filled holiday season.

• Posted

You aroused a dreamy memory of my 9 year old mind's eye, when I spent 4 years in Europe.

The image of that beautiful woman,

luminous in every way.

My image for the day.

Not prolific here in the US.

Thank you

Dan

• Posted

Can't compete with you... only five plus years so far but ever hopeful.

With all good wishes for Christmas and 2019.

Candles in the hair sounds a bit alarming!

• Posted

Now they have electric except when they televise

• Posted

Thank you for reminding me of Lucia Day. It brings back good memories from years ago. And especially thank you for your words regarding PMR, pred and tapering. Thanks to the information about tapering much slower, I have been having a much better time reducing. Your words are timely as I was having a rare day of feeling very depressed. Your words remind me to keep hoping and working towards that light at the end of the tunnel. Merry Christmas to you as well.

• Posted

How kind! What a great message - thank you. And Happy Christmas to you. May 2019 sparkle!

• Posted

Two beautiful stories. Thank you RD Swede.

I have never heard of Lucia. I will look her up.

I hope you all have a wonderful, peaceful, Christmas season ahead of you.

• Posted

Thank you all for all greetings and well wishes. I am now at the Copenhagen airport on my way to relatives. It is crazy with all the long walks in airports nowadays. It said 17 minutes and another destination was 24 minutes. Being 81 with a painful foot I would have asked for assistance had I known.

Merry ChristmasRagnar

• Posted

Should tell the forums before you travel - we'd remind you!!! In many airports it is possible to get assistance at the last minute though - at the check-in or Information. I assume it will be miles...

• Posted

I had a similar experience in Brussel some weeks ago. Had to change from one pier to another. Maybe 15 minutes walk incl some moving ramps. I think the airports should recognize that we have a much larger number of old people. I can normally walk at transfers but if I suddenly land and get the information of 15 minutes to the next gate it is too late. I will try to figure out where I may get a long transfer time.

At the arrival at Stavanger airport the distances are short but when arriving on some smaller aircraft you have to walk in stairs to get up to the arrival level and no lift.

• Posted

I came to Stavanger today but I made it as I didn't have any cabin baggage

• Posted

There is usually a goods lift - and you get to use them when you have asked for assistance. It really is worth it - and in some larger airports which don't have enough seating at the gates, it also means you get a seat somewhere even if it is only the wheelchair!

• Posted

During 2005-2008 I was Ambassador for the EU project AENEAS which dealt with the growing number of older people. We wanted them to walk, bike or go by public transport rather than using a car. That is one reason why I am interesting in accessibility questions. See www.aeneas-project.eu

• Posted

You should be investigating them!!!! That is my justification: then I can tell people on the forums...

If it is somewhere really easy I don't bother but always hedge my bets at big airports. At Seoul, for example, it really was a very short distance to the gate, maximum 100m on the flat. But the queue to get through security even on the priority track was very long and I stood for ages having believed the woman it would be quick - I suspect a wheelchair really would have had priority. However, since I had a priority pass, when I got to the gate and it was standing room only, they took me downstairs to another waiting area for wheelchairs and people who needed to sit. And of course we got to board ahead of the hordes!

I'm happy to walk short distances or use public transport but I can't use a bike, especially since PMR. We bought an e-bike but I fell once and that was it. Apart from anything else - it is far too heavy for either of us to manhandle now. It infuriates me that there is a lack of acceptance that some of us don't cycle for very good reasons - all my life I have lived in places where it was decidedly risky to cycle and as a result am not confident on one. It would be crazy to start now. It worries me that e-bikes make it possible for older people to continue riding in situations where otherwise they would have given up - in Germany they have a lot of accidents amongst older riders because they misjudge the speed of an e-bike. I don't know how to get round it - walking is slow, not practical for shopping. Even using the bus/train where we live is not practical for shopping although we do use the train as much as we can now we have our 65+ cards and don't have to mess about buying tickets. Especially for hospital visits as the station is at the back door of the hospital. I have been known to drive to the station if it is raining to minimise the risk of getting wet. 😉

• Posted

I discovered on one of my trips to UK that if you stand wavering at the top of the escalator with your heavy suitcase for long enough a kind worker will take you to an elevator and get you down to the level where you can get on the Tube. Maybe with all the renovations and stuff it's easier now anyway.

• Posted

Referring to Heathrow of course.

• Posted

I will go by any route to avoid Heathrow 😉

• Posted

On Dec 14th I flew via Copenhagen and estimated walking time was 17 min for me and another destination was 24 min.

A month ago I had similar time in Brussels and change from pier A to B.

I think some airports should have automatic people movers

• Posted

Once upon a time we used to fly to Glasgow. Then we'd get on a train and doze and be over our jet lag by the time we met up with the relatives. But now we don't seem to have that connection. In The Meaning of Liff Heathrow is described as a place with an ancient curse on it. Can't put my hands on the exact definition right now as my copy is packed and unavailable, like most of my books.

• Posted

Really? Has a fairly modern curse too if you ask me!!!!

Yes, when we flew to the east coast of Canada we flew from Glasgow - really short journey and good providers.

• Posted

Meaning of Liff written by creator of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.