Lump in tongue

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm a 29 year old female. When I was about 22/22 I noticed a lump inside my tongue. It is my right hand side just off the center and is about 1cm back from the top. It is hard and feels sausage shaped. It can be felt with my fingers and goes further back in to my tongue. I can't feel how far back. I have now noticed a small painless spot underneath My tongue right where the lump is. Recently my throat has felt very achy and strained. I have put this down to anxiety as recently I have been anxious over every little thing and can't stop clenching my jaw but last night felt a lymph node is swollen on that side. I have had a few visits to the go lately with various things (breast lump which turned out was from finishing breast feeding, pain in lower left abdomen which I'm in the process of putting a sample in and going back next week to see about a scan and the other week I went with pain, muscle twitching and weakness mainly down my right side which I'm supposed to be seeing another doctor about when she is back off holiday) I think if I go with something else when all these other issues aren't resolved they are going to think I'm attention seeking or a hypochondriac.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Can I just add that as far as I can tell, the lump doesn't seem to have got bigger over the years.
  • Posted

Rebecca, have you shown this to your dentist or GP? if not you do need to do so. As you have have recently had a baby it's hardly surprising that you have all these symptoms. You are not a hypercondriac, they may be absolutely nothing to worry about, but none the less you do need to discuss them with your GP. The tongue is probably best sorted out with your dentist. Pregnancy is a very hormonal time, usually it is a happy but stressful time, certainly the post birth is! Your symptoms could be just hormonal, however they do need to be checked out. I had glands up everywhere as a young woman, in my neck under my arms, I also had palpable lumps on my tongue and IBS? Stress can make them worse, worry will too. Try to book an appointment with a lady GP and have a long chat. It might be worth asking her to check for inflammatory markers but these could well be elevated if you have had a baby. It takes a good year for your body to get back to normal. 
  • Posted

No, not shown to GP, I've only just noticed the gland in the neck. My youngest is 14 month old so not really a baby any more. I breastfed until he was 1 that's why the breast lump was only recent. I don't even know if I'm still registered with a dentist as I keep missing appointments. You only get one chance in my surgery. Can I just add I didn't miss them deliberately. Sick of going to the doctors recently and I genuinely think they will just think I'm either imagining things or making excuses to go there. When in reality I hate going. I'm there this week for the stomach pains, which I'm not sure whether are ibs related or gynae problems. I think it will be too much in one appointment to then mention this. I know I need to get it checked out. It's just this lump has been there so long I was starting to worry less about it thinking it can't be anything bad, then all these symptoms came and I'm terrified.
    • Posted

Then Rebecca you DO need to see both your GP and a dentist. It is a pity you didn't go to your dentist when visits would have been free. Re your GP he does need to check your inflamitory markers. I quite understand that you may be reluctant to mention these problems. However there is just a chance that they may be related. Please just ask your GP to do bloods for inflammatory markers especially if you have had mouth ulcers, a sore mouth, or if your eyes have been sore too. It may just be that you are run down and coping with an active toddler, but you are obviously worried and that won't help. You do need to get to why you have IBS. The symptoms you describe may be related so please see both your GP and dentist. 
  • Posted

Sounds like you have recently had a baby.. This will make you run down, it will take about a year for you. To gain your former pre pregnancy state. However you should get a blood test done and a GP to assess this lump to rule out anything sinister!
  • Posted

I've had mild IBS for years but over recent weeks have had a on and off pain in lower abdomen, don't know if it's a flare up or if it is a cyst, fibroid or even endometriosis (family history of it) would the test for inflammatory markers be a specific test do you know? Just because I had blood tests done about 2 weeks ago regarding the weakness and tell itching. No idea what blood tests thy were though. I'm scared now and my throat is sore from constantly prodding my neck. My partner keeps asking why I'm in such a bad mood with him. Ha. I feel tired a lot recently but again, put it down to anxeity. Sometimes I feel like my throat is closing up and I can hardly breathe. It comes and goes which is why I always assumed anxeity as opposed to something physical.
    • Posted

OK well now your making some sense to me! Have you had irregular painful periods by any chance? As you fed your baby, did you have plenty of milk? By any chance do you have acne still, an itchy scalp, or unwanted hair?  Endermetriosis is often caused by a common female condition called PCOS Polycystic ovaries. If that is your problem then that accounts for the lumpy breasts and possibly the gland in your neck. I was diagnosed age 15 BUT it wasn't called that in my day. I had 4 sons. If this is your problem you may have a family history of Psoriasis, colitis, Chrohn's or urinary tract infections. I had thrush both oral and vaginal from a teen. If you feel weak, do you mean physically weak or its it feeling dizzy or faint when you stand up? Hid you have severe morning sickness? If you feel dizzy upon standing are you by any chance double jointed? If so look at POTS UK. You do need to see a doctor. If you are double jointed that might be the reason for the lump on your tongue or you may be getting other problems relating to either rheumatology or endocrinology please don't feel your a nuisance to your GP thet is what he is there for! 
    • Posted

Periods are pretty regular (just getting back to their regular pattern after breastfeeding as they were quite far apart when they started back. They're heavy and painful ish but nothing extreme. Last 2 have been heavier than normal and last one in particular was more painful than usual. I had a normal amount of milk I think. Baby was satisfied and well fed but I didn't make exessive amounts to the point of leaking. In fact I didn't even need breast pads. Don't get an itchy scalp or unwanted hair, no. Get the odd spot. More so before and during period but not what I'd call acne. No psoriasis, Crohns, etc in family and never had a uti. Putting a sample in tomorrow to rule one out but I very much doubt that's what caused the pains. Not prone to thrush either, had it a few times during my last pregnancy but also had gestational diabetes so might have been due to that. Just physically weak, not dizzy. Luckily I was never sick during both of my pregnancies. I'm not double jointed no. I wish we could consult with our go online like this so when you actually go they have all our worries there in front of them. I go to pieces once I'm in tbere and forget what in supposed to say.
    • Posted

Well the gestational diabetes certainly needs watching, presumably the Consultant did a Glucose tolerance test post the pregnancy. It does sound as if you are having panic type attacks. Are you sleeping well. Please see your GP.
    • Posted

I had a blood test 3 months after I had my baby to check the duabetes had gone (it was fine) also had one about 3 months ago too (also fine) no glucose tolerance test, just a blood test but they said that's all I need. I'm sleeping ok. Sometimes takes me a while to actual fall asleep but once I'm asleep I'm fine. Struggle getting up in the mornings because I'm still tired and have been falling asleep during the day. I have booked the dentist. Got an appointment this Thursday. Luckily I'm still on their books. I haven't been since May last year.
  • Posted

Rebecca get your dentist to check your tongue. The problem with any lump in the mouth is that you become aware of it. The awareness won't go away until your mind is put at rest. The other symptoms I think are just exhaustion from having an energetic toddler. With no diabetes, your only concern will be the results of the bloods. IF your GP surgery are at all worried they will phone you. If you haven't heard assume no news is good news. If it is really worrying you I am sure one of the office staff will tell you the results if they are normal and back. If anything is flagged you will hear I am sure. 
  • Posted

Hi, I know this is an old post, but did you ever find out what the lump was in your tongue? I've recently found the same thing in the same place. The only difference is I'm not and have never been pregnant, nor do I have any of the other symptoms you mentioned. The lump in my tongue has been eating me away with worry and I'm hoping it's nothing serious.

• Posted

I had the lump checked by a dentist he said it was ok. He looked at me as of to say "why are you even worried about this" as for the other symptoms, they were put down to anxiety so not related! Some are actually still ongoing. The lump is still there I try to ignore it now. Please see your dentist though because I'd rather someone professional looked at it rather than you just taking my word for it that mine turned out ok. I'm sure yours will be too but still make the appointment.

• Posted

Hi Rebecca. I know this post is old but I thought you might get an email. I'm going through the same thing for 3 months. I've stopped breastfeeding my chikd, he just turned 3. At first tinglings in my head, hands and feet, spine. Then I had difficulty of swallowing, pain in the right side of the throat. My sublingual gland under the tongue is slightly swollen, irritated. I noticed a small bump under the tongue, less tahn 0.5cm. When I touch the tongue I can feel sausage shaped bump. When I press it's painful otherwise I have no pain. The sides of the tongue back near the throat are also swollen. What's the most scary is that I ahve soreness and numbness of my chin. I'm so scared. So far I've seen an ENT dr who just did a quick look in my throat. Said there's nothing. Had an MRI of head, it's clear. Blood test cae back with high WBC and neutophils. What happened to you? How's your tongue? did you get checked up?

• Posted

Did you have this checked? Any answers? I have had a pea sized lump inside my tounge for years (I think, my head now questions whether it has in fact been there for years) im off for a ultra sound as i finally showed doc. I had a mammogram recently which came back fine but found an enlarged lymph node under each arm so now im freaking out thinking im riddled with cancer 😳 

• Posted

hi christine i have a pea size lump in my tongue ive had it for 3 years right at the very side nearly underneath .. ive had it looked at and they said they thought it was just a sharp tooth rubbing but i also get white patches with sometimes can be sore and irritating .. they come and go every so often but for that last week ive been waking up every morning with them .. my dentist is aware and sent me to have it all checked 2 years ago (thats where they mentioned they thought it was just a thickening from a sharp tooth) they offered me a biopsy but i was pregnant so i didnt have it.. i suffer health anxiety teally bad and now im so worried .. how are yoy getting on? got to the bottom of it? xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.