Lump in tongue

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm a 29 year old female. When I was about 22/22 I noticed a lump inside my tongue. It is my right hand side just off the center and is about 1cm back from the top. It is hard and feels sausage shaped. It can be felt with my fingers and goes further back in to my tongue. I can't feel how far back. I have now noticed a small painless spot underneath My tongue right where the lump is. Recently my throat has felt very achy and strained. I have put this down to anxiety as recently I have been anxious over every little thing and can't stop clenching my jaw but last night felt a lymph node is swollen on that side. I have had a few visits to the go lately with various things (breast lump which turned out was from finishing breast feeding, pain in lower left abdomen which I'm in the process of putting a sample in and going back next week to see about a scan and the other week I went with pain, muscle twitching and weakness mainly down my right side which I'm supposed to be seeing another doctor about when she is back off holiday) I think if I go with something else when all these other issues aren't resolved they are going to think I'm attention seeking or a hypochondriac.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry Christine, I should have got an email when you replied but I have only just seen your post now, I still have the lump, never really got to the bottom of it. I have numbness on the end up the tongue near the lump too, again, no one seems concerned! I’ve been to see a neurologist and had an MRI since my original post, I have also had another baby! I have been having a wide range of symptoms, which they are putting down to anxiety! Casey, with the amount of answers where people say about also having lumps in their tongue, in starting to wonder if they’re quite normal? I’ve never had any further symptoms with mine and it doesn’t tend to bother me! I had an elnarged lymph gland in my armpit about 18 months ago and was sent for an untrasound which was normal. I’d advise you see your gp anyways though! You’ve maybe had a virus or infection which has caused them to come up on both sides as I think it would be more worrying if it came up on just the one side. I’m always finding lumps too, which turn out to be pretty normal. I’ve just been diagnosed with “health anxiety” too 
    • Posted

Thanks for replying Rebecca. 8 months passed since I have the lump. I have seen 3 ENTs, one of them suggested removing the lump and do a biopsy (but I have read reviews about the doctor that he is after money), so I saw second one who thought it might be the muscle. The 3rd ENT the most knowledgeable I think of the 3 didn't even touch my tongue, she said it might be a polyp. So i'm here with the lump still inside, sometimes if I touch or eat something hard it starts hurting. I have bunch of other symptoms going on, throat pain, ear pain on and off, all of the pain is on the right side the tongue lump too. ANd the lymph node under my jaw is swollen my the ultrasound was done and it appears to be normal. I'm so happy you had your 2nd babay as I want to have the 2nd one but still don't have answers so I'm kind of waiting and waiting. If you have other symptoms too, please let me know, maybe it's really anxiety ?

• Posted

Hello Christine.

Please did you ever find out what the lump in your tongue is? I've got the exact same thing for about 5 weeks now and I'm worried sick. ct scan and blood tests have returned normal barring enlarged tonsils and adenoids. I'm considering a biopsy as I'm very uncomfortable having a lump in such place as the tongue. Kindly reply.

Thank you

• Posted

Hi Dean,

I have no information regarding my tongue lump. It's still there, no idea what it is. My first ENT suggested to have it removed and biopsied but the 2nd and 3rd ENTs were against it. 

I still have many other health issues, like sore throat, swollen lymph nodes etc. 

If you had a CT scan then you have nothing to worry about. CT scan would have shown if there was anything.

By the way do you have other symptoms? like dryness of the mouth ?One of the doctors said that he has seen such kind of lumps before which were due to saliva impaction inside the tongue. He said allow 3 months for it to resolve and don't touch it don't look at it. One of my ENTs suggested it might be a polyp. 

Hope this helps

• Posted

Hello Christine

Thanks for replying. Yes I do have dry mouth plus some of the other problems you mentioned like swollen lymph nodes. My ent mentioned that cos of my enlarged tonsils and adenoids due to allergies, those lymph nodes will always practically be swollen cos they're constantly working. He's offered me an adenotonsilectomy but I'm not so keen on having that as an adult. Does your lump hurt sometimes? Mine can get rather achy when my mouth goes really dry or if I eat certain food.

• Posted

Meanwhile, the nodes aren't obviously enlarged I must say. just when I go prodding that I'm able to push two of them out beneath my jaw (submandibular nodes) and they run back in once I let them go. I also noticed they do fluctuate in size cos two days ago I had flu symptoms and immediately noticed one of the nodes got painful and though the flu is gone now, the node I noticed has become bigger in size than what I used to feel.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.