Lump of skin hanging off tonsil?

Posted , 19 users are following.

Hi, I'm 19 years old. 

Friday morning I had the feeling of food stuck in the back of my throat. I checked later that night to find something hanging off my right tonsil. I have no idea what it is. Whether it came on suddenly or if it's been there a while, I don't know.

There is no pain coming from it, no sore throat etc. I went to the Doctors today and they referred me to the hospital for an appointment, but it's over a month away. The Doctor didn't know what is was so I am still concerned as to what it is.

It's about 2cm long and moves around freely, please see attached photo's, thanks.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

i had a large growth on my tonsil and had i surgically removed. the doctor scanned it and said its just flesh nothing dangerous, almost like a skin tag. that was 3 years ago and ive notice its growing back again

• Posted

I have the same problem rn please get back to me about your results if its serious

• Posted

Hello:

What was your consensus?

thanks in advance,

• Posted

Yess , it's really great and probably a good idea. I just wanted to get the stick up to it soon because I know how badly it's needed for any new people. I had this and I went to get seen for it and the medical consultation didn't know what it was but it ended up going away on its own, shrinking little by little each day. It was gone in about a week or two.

• Edited

Hi everyone. I had something similar to this. It wasn't attached to the tonsil but was attached to the back/roof of my mouth and sat just behind the tonsil. After a few GP appointments ("Come back next week if it still hasn't gone away!" Spoiler alert: it didn't) I was referred to ENT and at that appointment they put on local anaesthetic, chopped it off, then sent it off for biopsy. Apparently it's just a benign papilloma, basically a wart. The ENT says it's pretty common and that they've taken out loads of them. The ENT appointment was at least a month after I first noticed it so it doesn't look like it was going to go away by itself, though I was told that some do with time. Anyway, go to the doctor about it but try not to panic!

• Posted

I have had this like happen to me since for three years now it comes for two-three weeks and then goes away and in a couple months it comes back. So if anybody figures out what it is please let me know!!!

• Posted

I have the same thing but Ive actually had a really sore throat. Went to the GP and I've been advised it is a tonsil polyp. When your body is fighting an infection/virus these can develop. GP has advised the polyp will eventually shrink. I've had it for 3 days now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.