Lung age

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone had their lung age measured? Did it help you to give up smoking?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

“Life Is Short Why Make It Shorter”

At the age of 12 in 1946 started smoking, the in thing, copycatting the film stars of our day cracking open a packet of “Fifth Avenue or "Lucky Strike". Alternatively, the advert of the sailor smoking "Senior Service" seemed harmless but no warnings, and taken granted normal to smoke.

At the age of 18 called up for National Service, cigarettes were cheap in the NAAFI. Oversees issued 100 free every week, and puffed away my heart’s content, forgetting about my lungs?

In civilian life smoked “Dunhill”, not knowing at the time the operative word should have been “Downhill” the slippery slope to bad health.

Remember in 1979 after lighting up inhaling the drug nicotine, thought to myself, "Why Am I Doing This?" Threw the cigarette on the ground stamping on it stopped there and then, initially was difficult, but the reward was the pleasure of tasting water, and being able to tell the difference between Beef and Pork and Lamb, initially put on a little weight, but that soon subsided, fully believing my health would improve.

Finally reaching the age of 63 having always enjoyed walking with my dog noticed cramp and ache in my left leg. Putting it down to old age finally visited my GP and referred to a consultant. After several tests, informed by the consultant the cramp and ache been caused by smoking. Having stopped 23 years earlier fully believed my health restored. The consultant advised me my veins had furred up, and causing the cramp and ache.

Reaching 65 noticed climbing hills became short of breath, finally visited my GP, who referred me to a cardiologist, who advised the treadmill tests. The results were not good news and after x-rays, proved smoking had further clog up my main arteries despite the fact I’d given up 25 years earlier.

Walking was a pleasure walking eight to ten miles every day in retirement with my four-legged friend, found it frustrating as the shortness of breath increased. Once again, return to my new GP who advised to undergo a spirometer test. The nurse asked, "Have you ever been a smoker"? Yes, I replied, but stopped 44 years ago. "Well I Am Sorry to Have To Tell You; You Have Smokers Lung ". I couldn’t believe what I was hearing, shocked beyond belief.

It now disturbs me immensely seeing young people puffing away feel helpless to warn them of the dangers waiting for them later in life, and the danger and damage is irreversible. Do not end up like me; my walks became shorter year-by-year. Now approaching 81 struggle and can only walk short distances before forced to use a ventilator as well as taking pills every day to widen the veins so the blood can supply the heart with oxygen , and also use a spray under the tongue to prevent angina.

It is bad enough being old, but without good health, life at times is a battle, to me smoking is the short and quickest  route to bad health, listen to someone who knows, do not think this will never happen to me as sooner or later “When It Is Too Late”.

“Forward This to All Your Friends, Your Good Turn for Today

• Posted

Did the nurse tell you how much lung function had been lost?
    • Posted

so so sad to hear that Dave after all this time and your quite right in your days they promoted it. chin up fella, for all you know you may have bought your self an extra 20 years of life by stopping when you did, well done.
  • Posted

Hi there, I'm doing a reserach project as part of my college course and it's about 'Smoking can cause lung cancer'. It would be really helpful if you can take part, all members will be anonymised and only shared with my tutor. Thanks

Have you had chest pain recently linked to smoking?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.