Lustral v Generic (Sertraline)

Posted , 11 users are following.

Was reading that Lustral costs £35 per box as opposed to the generic equivalent being £8 per box. Big difference in price, does anybody know if there's a difference with the product, ie; more pure, less side effects, works better?

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Some generic brands may differ , but they still need to meet medical standards. The reason for generic drugs is they are cheaper and many times the more expensive brands patent has expired and so the drug can be made with same ingredients , but cheaper. You could buy Chanel lipstick, but the same ingredients are in Loreal or any other brand. Same thing with facial moisturerzers, but on a different scale as these drugs and drug companies. One must first give the generic a try, if they cannot afford the brand name and see if it works. Same thing in any type of medical trial..is it the placebo affect, or is it the drug actually working? There is no harm in trying a generic brand if that is what one can afford.
  • Posted

Hi Blu02.  I am i nthe UK and have recently been told by my doctor that i will never get prescribed Lustral again and will only get generic sertraline because of cost.  Unfortunatly some of the generic stuff upset my stomach and gave me a pain in my right side.  Doctor just says I'm imgaining this.
    • Posted

Hi Scotavia, please take a look at my post 2 above your one, particularly Sarah's post that I've copied and pasted!!
  • Posted

Hi  I have been on Lustral since the end of October 2014. I was prescribed this brand  on my very first prescrption and didnt know any dfferent at the time for acute health anxiety. On my 3rd prescription the pharmacist gave me generic Sertraline. Having health anxiety I immediately said I didnt want a change of brand and asked for Lustral. The pharmacist said that I couldnt have Lustral unless I had a closed prescrption from the doctor which was unlikey because of the cost difference. I declined the generic and went back to my doctor and becuase she knew how I felt about this she has ordered me a repeat prescription for this medication and it always specifies, Pfizer Lustral. I have no idea if the generic will make me feel any different but with my anxiety and also fear of taking tablets anyway I was not prepared to try. Had I been prescribed the generic initially, like I say, I would have known no different. I do understand the implications of cost, however, without sounding like I am on my soap box, I have paid taxes now for 22 years and to be told you cannot have a particular brand because of cost, depsite my worries and fears is not acceptable. If they dont want patients to have Lustral, then dont dispense it in the 1st place or lower the cost! Luckily I have an understanding doctor, others, unfortunately are not so lucky.
    • Posted

Who's gonna lower the cost just like that!?

the reason it is dispensed in the first place, is that Pfizer developed that drug, and so it is the first on the market. After 20 years their patent expires which then allows other companies to make that drug generically. If the NHS uses the generic versions they save money. The NHS has no money so it has to use generics where it can, hence the pressure prescribers are under to prescribe generically, with the aim of no-one having the brand ever again, and ultimately, the brand will cease to be produced if there's no demand for it. The drug companies have strategies to get round this, but that's another story!

You are lucky to have a nice understanding doctor and lucky to get lustral! most people get generic sertraline and have to deal with it. I do sympathise with you though, and like I said before, I believe patients when they say one brand is better for them than another.

shame we don't have infinite resources. 

• Posted

Hi Natalie, I'm pleased you got sorted. Who knows, the generic med may have worked just as well for you but is it worth taking the chance, no matter what the cost when you know you're ok with Lustral.....

Interesting that sarah17507 was saying some of the larger pharmacy outlets supply Lustral "without" a closed script because of the quantity they buy so they get it a lot cheaper!!

Anyway thanks for the post and I wish you well for the future 😃

• Posted

I am with you all the way Natalie!I felt very wary of trying the generic and after a few days went to my G P,who fortunately was very understanding too...I've been on Lustral ever since and I absolutely refuse to take a generic....I had an  issue with another generic anti depressant years ago (Effexor) and this time I was very cagey and wanted Lustral to begin with,but I was obliging to myG P who wanted me to try the generic...I am certain these will always be available,or else why does anyone get them in the first place?!!
    • Posted

Exactly the same with me Sally....absolute nightmare several years ago, when I was taken off Lustral (for me, I'd say a near perfect drug)  and then given different generics month after month....until I was hit with one particula brand which after two weeks I suffered what might be described as a living hell.  Now it's Lustral all the way.  But just recently, I've had a situation whereby my chemist gave me a pack which is so obviously an embaressing replica of the Lustral box, and inside is a drug called Aremis!  I think this is incredibly devious to be honest and have taken it up with Pfizer.  Beware of this packet - the box is longer, and the spelling of Pfizer is wrong sad  Awful!
  • Posted

well if they wont or can't lower the cost Sarah, pharacists shouldnt dispense it, as it is not fair to play around with this kind of product, one that affects chemicals in the brain! I am fully aware of how the price discrepancy came about and I know some pharmacists get deals with suppliers of Pfizer, especially Lloyds pharmacies. Yes, the active ingredients may well be the same but it is never going to be 100% exact, how  can it be?!
    • Posted

Yes, absolutely, they're not ever 100% the same (see previous posts) but if the prescription says sertraline, then any product meeting that description can be supplied and it's generally considered safe to interchange brands of most medicines. Doesn't mean I think this is desirable, it's just common practice and most people don't mind - or if they do, they never say! 

I'm glad for you that you get Lustral brand, but you should see the number of people where I work that say their doctor refuses to prescribe x y or z due to cost. I work on the border of two counties and see remarkable differences in prescribing habits depending on where you live. They now won't prescribe paracetamol and eczema emollient creams in one surgery, saying to patients 'go and buy them'.

in an ideal world we'd all stay on our preferred brand of medication. Our taxes don't just go towards healthcare! I consider us lucky we don't have to pay each time we see a doctor or nurse or stay in hospital. 

• Posted

Yes I am luckyave my doctor but I would certaionly put my foot down if I felt that strongly about it. Like you say, some people do not mind and have no view or preference on different brands. Things like paracetomal can be much cheaper not on prescription nd I would always buy them myself anyway. My famliy has been let down massively in the past by the NHS through, I believe not speaking out, probably dictates to a certain extent my views. One of the doctors at my surgery did not want to give me a closed prescription but I argued my point of view and they agreed. Had I said nothing, I could now be suffering even more side effects from a change in brand! These tablets are hard enough to stabalise on anyway, it took me a long time and consistency can be the key in some cases.
  • Posted

Having an understanding doctor Sally is half the battle and I am glad you have one too. Some people wont be bothered by changing brands. My fiance for example, if he had to take any medication on a regular basis wouldn't even notice a change in brand even if the box looked completely different. He doesnt have an issuie with this kind of thing, however, who knows if that drug would work the same for him. Some people may suggest it is phycological, I disagree. £35 v £8 a box for effectively the "same"drug??? Yes, some of the costs potentially down to patent and manufacturer etc but that big a difference? I think not.
  • Posted

not suppose to be, have to pass barrarge of tests in england before sold
  • Posted

Hi Blu02, I have taken Lustral for many years and it works for me. 6 months ago my dispensing chemist started giving me an alternative (generic) sertraline from another manufacturer........ they don't do the same job for me at all. I can't get a GP to prescribe Lustral???? and that will be due to the cost.

If you are getting Lustral, don't let them change it.

I am currently seeking legal advice about how I can demand Lustral over the other generic brands.

I hope this helps... (Generic do not work)

• Posted

Andrew, if you want anyone else to back you up regarding demanding the Lustral brand,  I'll happily help!  Good luck, do not give up with your fight.  
    • Posted

Hi - I would like to revert back to Lustral and would like help regarding demanding the Lustral brand as my NHS GP has refused on the grounds of cost.  Many thanks.  Anita

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.