MacroBID

Posted , 4 users are following.

anyone had a water infection and been prescribed MacroBID? I take one twice a day, I've been prescribed 7 days worth. I have 4 left so 2 more days taking them, I don't feel any better I still have lower back ache and pains here and there in abdomen?? should they of worked by now?? when should I start to feel better? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Macrobid is also known as Nitrofurantoin and is a common AntiBiotic for UTIs.  It doesn't always work though as UTIs are caused by different bugs that require different ABx.  It may be that you will need a different AB such as Trimethoprim - your doctor should have grown a culture from your urine to check which AB would be best.  Normally if the AB is working you would start to feel an improvement within a couple of days so if you're not ok by now it's worth going back and asking for a culture.

Your doctor may try to give you a broad spectrum AB such as Cipro but I strongly suggest you refuse this as it's a fluorquinolone and these have a reputation for causing very severe side effects - see the discussions on this group here on this site (https://patient.info/forums/discuss/fluoroquinolone-toxicity-syndrome-427305) for more information.  Many have been prescribe Cipro or it's relatives (e.g. Levo etc) and are still suffering for  side effects years later. 

Be careful!

• Posted

I was prescribed macro I'd twice last year and ended up getting cliff from it , which then I was put on a 14 day antibiotic called fagyl by the gastroenterologist I was sent to because of the cliff. cleared up my cliff, now  7 months later I have had 4 uti' back to back put on hiprex , which should not cause the cliff and help with the uti' , had my first break through one and it hurts , had to go to ER . seeing my urologist on Tuesday, honestly this is really messing with my emotions and head now .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.