Made it to walton centre for op!

Posted , 6 users are following.

finally here. So excited it's unreal! 

Nurse just came in. I'm second on the list. smile 

taken 4 lots of blood and urine sample. Something I've never had done before at a pre op! Oh and they didn't have any appointments between last Monday and now for pre-op so said they would do it when I got here! Can't fault service at all! 

All the the nurses are exceptionally happy, polite and caring. 

Cant no wait to start a new chapter in my life now!

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just a quick note, how long did you wait for your op....
    • Posted

I saw the consultant first in November last year, had scan mid November, attempted nerve root block beginning of December and put on waiting list for Operation approx 10th Jan and was phoned 18th Jan to see if I could come in on 24th for op on 25th smile incredible speed!
    • Posted

Hi James I hope that everything is going well for you, I just wish I could get to see the same Dr's as you have
  • Posted

How are you James, its 2 months now since your op just wondered how you were.

Anne

• Posted

Like a new man! Pain is 90% gone in back. Totally in my legs. I was off the morphine in just over 2 weeks. 120mg a day to nothing! 

I fully intend to do a charity fund raiser for the Walton centres charity, without them I would be stuck at my hospital here in pain still as they refused to operate!

• Posted

I am so glad James, I am still stuck here Walton wouldn't even look at me, probably too old to bother with me, although when I went to Walton I wasn't old lol.

I have said that I want cortisone injections so that I can have a rest from pain and then they are going to do an injection to see where the pain is coming from. Its not coming from my back although Lyrica seems to deaden the pain but am frightened I am losing my memory.  Did you by chance have private insurance?

My friend from Wrexham is the same as me, we were school friends, she went to the Walton and they won't operate on her but I don't think they operated on anyone when I went for an appointment....the big bloke I saw had a cold and all he could do was speak through a hanky. Horrible man.

What did they do by the way and I forget what your symptoms were.  I am not saying there is hope for me but I am sick of all this pain. I left my handbag in a taxi in Valencia last week with money in - I was so much in pain I had to be dragged out of the taxi to get to our car.  Of course not got it back...Luckily not too much in it, except 60€ but my memory going is bothering me and so would like to get out of Lyrica.  How didmorphone work for you?

Hell you will be back at work in no time.

Let me know a bit more.  Anne

• Posted

James,

As someone who recommended Walton Centre to you I am so delighted your pain has gone and life is now looking brighter. I still have nerve sensations in my legs since my op. but my mobility is great.

I hope your recovery continues.

• Posted

I have had a microdisectomy of l5/s1. I don't know if they did anything more as that's what I went in for but haven't seen the surgeon as he had a conference the next day, it was 3 hours ish in theatre, 1 1/2 in recovery! 

Symptons were,

excruciating pain in left leg down to foot, 

pain in bum, 

pain in coccyx if sat too long, 

pain in my back, left and right side! 

Loins and needles in legs, note both legs affected! 

When end the physio gave me a massage near the spine, both my feet went numb within seconds, and my hands too. No idea why my hands but the area in my back went so numb I didn't know if she was still doing it or not!!

I had partial caudia equina aswell. i believe I was having constipation as a result of the disc too. I say that because before the op, maybe every 5 days I might go. After the op (without medication changes) I started going everyday! 

• Posted

I get pins and needles too but that I can live with! I am getting a lot of 'ache' and feels like bruising in the last week in my back, need to take things a bit slowly! 

The pain put some very dark thoughts into my head over the 2 years. Left me feeling very 'alone' and disconnected from the world. Glad to say that's all gone!

• Posted

I have L5/S1 and i don't have that pain at all i might have pins and needles but medication maybe blocks the pain, and I have pain in the bum - don't have pain down to the foot or coccyx so maybe I haven't that level. People reading x rays can read them wrong so please post again when you are getting better it is very helpful for us.

• Posted

Hi John, can we all know the doctor you saw at the Walton. Not sure that I will go back to England to moan about my back but will wait and see what happens first in Spain, the surgeon says that if I am not happy with whats going on with the pain clinic then the door is open for me.

A bit worried about this scar tissue, anyone know why its dangerous to have an op whilst you have scar tissue?

You are on the mend now anyway, keep giving us messages because people like you help us even though you have an end to your story.  Its v importan t.

My good wishes to you. Anne

• Posted

just been to the Walton centre for my 3 month check up. 

Apparently he chatted to me after the op and I asked him questions, I have no recollection of that! Apparently that's why he sees the patients later on. 

He he was shocked how bad my disc was. Normally the disc presses on the nerve/tube it runs through and the tubes shape changes slightly. He said mine was totally crushed flat by the disc! That would explain the need for a very high morphine dose. 

Ive got another 6 months minimum of being careful. 

I I can't recommend Mr Lawson highly enough. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.