Magic six weeks?

Posted , 18 users are following.

Though I am making steady progress and have no cause for concern i am surprised i feel rather flat at six weeks. I think i have just really realized what a long haul this is going to be! I would welcome hearing from others a little further on from me how you found this time. I can do more, so much more than I could, but still it's very restrictive!

0 likes, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Jenny

i just hit 4 months post op.  I am off pain meds, except for the occasional Aleve. Walking my 87 pound pup again, although with a new collar contraption that keeps him from pulling me down the street. We can do about 1.5 miles, although he would go for 5 mikes if I could do it.  Except for sleep issues (getting comfortable takes a while), and kneeling, I think I am doing well. However, I do have moments of stiffness and aches at the end of the day.   Being able to drive and getting out made the big difference for me. Exercise at home and try to be optimistic. It does get better.  In the meantime read trashy novels, watch late night TV ( so many great "as seen on tv"  products) and eat chocolate.

keep us posted

Ellen

• Posted

Thank you Ellen,  it's very helpful reading these posts and getting the view from a bit further along the line, and your experience sounds like it would be somewhere I could get to!  Just imagining it helps!  Made me smile about your dog!   I will try and be optimistic... I didn't stretch my mind into the space from 6 weeks to 3 or 4 months... it's like it never existed.  I imagined the early rehab.. and that was helpful, as apart from the tiredness I was well prepared for it.  But I didn't think about this phase at all.  I think that is why it seems so discouraging.  But I like your advice!!....  I am going to have to think of this as a three month holiday, of sorts, I think.. And get into it as best I can!!! 

• Posted

It takes time and lots of physio to recover . I had my left knee replaced 19½ years ago and the right 17½ years ago .  It was hard at the time but worth the effort in the long run . It was 6 months each time before I returned to work . Almost 20 years and no problems .

• Posted

Thankfully I enjoy exercising, so that part I can fullly engage with.  Interesting about your 6 months return to work..  I think I can appreciate that I need to make a bit of an adjustment in my expectations.  After two year pre operatively of disability and pain, and life being stolen away from me, I guess I am impatient to get it all back as soon as possible.  But I will need to keep my eye on progress I am making and see it as a long term investment.  Wonderful to hear how yours is lasting well too.  I have lost a lot of weight but will continue to lose more and keep up the exercise long term.  
  • Posted

Hi Jenny!

Six weeks is still pretty early in the healing process. Remember that you had MAJOR surgery with MANY parts all healing and trying to get you back to normal.

Try to continually look for small improvements each day. If you are tired, REST! I kept a journal and read my entries over and over to remind myself how far I had come.

Nine weeks was the first time I was able to stand sleeping on my stomach and laying on my surgical scar. I slept five hours in a row-- a record I would not break for over a year.

Twelve weeks was when I walked normally-- just in time for getting my second knee done!

I did physical therapy for six months (two knees, three and a half months apart).

My TKRs were June and October of 2015.

Two weeks ago my son and I laid 10 yards of mulch. Six hours, and at 65 I was proud of being able to keep up with my 28 year old son with ZERO PAIN in my knees. ( My arthritic back, ankles, shoulders, fingers, elbows, and hips were VERY THANKFUL for Ibuprofen and REST, but my knees could have laid another 10 yards!)

It takes time, and we are all different with different experiences, but this has been MY story. I wish you continued success, hope for your future of no-pain days, gaining strength and endurance, and much JOY!❤️

• Posted

Ah, thank so so much for sharing your story and for the encouragement.  Two knees!  Amazing!  You have my admiration!  I am fortunate my sleep is good.   I do wake up about three times but just a matter of adjusting position and I drop off again quickly.  Normally I don't need to take any pain medication, (only now and again) but I think one of the reasons my mood may be suffering is that as my activity has increased so has the pain. While not severe, it's nagging... and nagging pain isn't good for the soul!!!  I have decided to drop the idea of virtue in not taking pain relief (I was feeling rather pleased with myself for not resorting to it) and just accept that as my activity levels do go up, I may well need to use pain relief more regularly and this is not a step backwards but just still a stage in the process.   I think the idea of writing down in a journal how things go is good, and I will do that.    I had hoped I would be walking faster and without supports by now...but it may be that I am going to be more of a 12 weeker, like yourself.   We are all different.. and I am a bit competitive.  When I hear of people walking without crutches after week, I think that should be me!!!!!!  I am good with one,  use two outside, because of weak quad muscle that didn't fire up for four weeks, and have started teetering around the house a bit with none "furniture walking" as my friend nicely put it!   Thanks for your input, very helpful!  

• Posted

Oh Cheryl I do love to read your posts. You are inspirational to us still on the TKR treadmill.

The reason you inspire is you give good sound common sense as well as humour.

Keep it up

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

You are very welcome! 😊

Compete with YOURSELF! Our son, an elite athlete who runs Ultramarathons, does Ironman and Crossfit competitions, and has been in many sports throughout his life, learned this in Tae Kwon Do when he was seven. He was distracted in class and not doing as well as he THOUGHT he should be doing.The Black Belt he was working with SAW this, pulled him aside and talked very kindly to him. The Black Belt explained how important it was to compete WITH YOURSELF and not with others because THEN you have a TRUE progress record of where you WERE before and where you are NOW. No two students begin at the exact same point. No two learn inexactly the same way.

This wise Black Belt presented our son with his very own Black Belt ---ten years later at age 17.

Our son is a high school teacher now. He coaches Track and Cross Country. He has each of HIS students and each of HIS team members keep THEIR OWN personal records (grades/times/ distances etc.) Progress has been GREAT, and competing with YOURSELF is a solid and success way to be your best self.

I share this with you because IT WORKS! It keeps you working toward positive goals without trying to compete with others who may not share your same strengths/ challenges.

You will do GREAT!😁

BE PATIENT with yourself, and above all BE KIND to the body that already has gone through A LOT for you!

Wishing you GREAT PROGRESS!??

• Posted

Yeah I'm getting there, thanks.

You always seem so cheerful, how about you?

I'm so glad I found this site, just before my op, all you guys really get it!

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Glad to hear you're "getting there"! TOTALLY know what a journey getting to "THERE" can be!😬😩😰😄

I have been SO GRATEFUL to have my horrendous throbbing and radiating pain GONE! When I explain to people that SURGERY at least for ME wasn't as painful as my prior day-to-day existence WITH TWO severely damaged knees, I am often met with surprise. It is absolutely AMAZING to me to have that pain GONE!😄 I'm a pretty positive person. I pray a lot and TRY to think good thoughts. There are many people who have MUCH harder paths to travel than I do.

I have REALLY appreciated this forum! I just happened upon it a couple weeks after my first TKR. SO glad that I did! Having the opportunity to connect with others undergoing what I am is of GREAT benefit, and it certainly provides much insight into the complexity of this surgery!

Having so many people at all different stages of recovery is like having a whole LIBRARY of information literally at our fingertips! I consider those on this site my dear KNEE PEOPLE!??

Wishing you much success as you journey onward!😊

• Posted

Yes you are so right. I was in constant pain & it was actually amazing that after the op that pain was GONE. I know there is pain, discomfort & all the rest, but it was nothing compared to before the op.

So yes I am truthfully very thankful for having had TKR.

My surgeon did not recommend having bilateral TKRs, hence the need to get an appt to see the surgeon so that I can go back on the waiting list.

I really think that everyone who has had bilateral TKR are Trojans. Not sure if could have done that.

All the best on your journey.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Hi Marilyn!

I had my two surgeries three and a half months apart. I needed BOTH done, so I just picked the one giving me the most grief to do FIRST. My new knee at two weeks was ALREADY stronger, much less painful and had better balance than my not-yet-done knee. My old knee was really holding me back! I scheduled my surgery for IT at my six week appointment for my first knee.

My neighbor had both knees done at the same time. She was happy to get it all done at one time. Her recovery was challenging, but I she's been doing great! I just couldn't figure out how I would DO THAT, and my surgeon does ONLY one-at-a -time knees anyway, so it was a three and a half month wait for #2.

Having both knees working well with no pain was a blessing for me! Every situation is different, though, and each of us much make the best choices for ourselves.

Glad that things are going good for your knee! I hope you will be fortunate enough to be done with surgeries now and ready to TAKE ON THE WORLD!🌎😁

• Posted

Unfortunately Cheryl I am waiting to get an appt to get back on the waiting list. My surgeon agreed both knees have to be done, but like yours he strongly suggested I have them done one at a time! The problem is now the NHS is in a sticky situation financially, so I am finding it difficult to get an appt to see him to go back on the waiting list for TKR no2! The soonest I could get is 25th October! When he wanted me back in June! So I am ringing the hospital monthly to try to get a cancellation to see my surgeon. It's all red tape I'm afraid here, with the NHS!

Never mind, I will get it done if I have shout from the rooftops to get it! Which is hard for me as I am a typical Brit, don't like to make a fuss!!

Of course it does hamper the operated knee, but apart from going private, which I cannot afford, I have no option. Still I count my blessings as the operated knee is out of that awful, grinding pain!

I'm glad you are on the road to full recovery now. It IS a long & bumpy road I know.

All the best.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Hi Marilyn!

Grab that appointment for surgery on October 25th! October is not all that far away, and you can think about how good you will feel by Christmas with both knees done!😊

Here in the USA we have insurance companies that drag us through dog and pony shows before we FINALLY are deteriorated enough to qualify for surgery. Also, they seem to think that you must be in your 60s to be ripe for knee replacement! Frustrating! I wasted four years with a lot of pain before I had gone through all the steps and procedures required to qualify for being a candidate for replacements.

I ended up skipping a step ( arthroscopic surgery) because I got FED UP and just quit seeing doctor's PERIOD for four years! When I finally went in due to really bad pain, my surgeon said I was a candidate for getting both knees replaced.

I will be waiting to hear about October 25th!😊👍👍

• Posted

Thanks Cheryl, I have booked the October appt, but that will just be to get back on the waiting list, still as you say October isn't far away. I will probably get my op next year.

At least I should be retired by then, so it's all good really.

It isn't so very different here to the US in that respect, I was told I needed both knees done in 2010 & was told the same thing, you're too young (57) go away until you can't stand the pain any more! Like you I struggled on for 6 years until I couldn't manage any more! THB I was trying to wait for retirement to have it done, but in the end couldn't.

I actually had arthroscopy in 2008 on my left knee (the one waiting for TKR), so similar to you. I think that procedure has meant that knee has lasted better than the right, TKR knee, as I had 2 tears in the meniscus & found the arthritis then.

I was classified as disabled in 2010, still didn't get me on the waiting list though!!

I'm a bit worried that the right knee is going to slow down recover if the left

• Posted

Sorry hit reply too soon! I meant to say I'm worried the left knee is going to cause a problem with recovery of this knee!

The left was less painful, which was why I chose to have the right done 1st! But it has caught up now & is as painful as the right was.

I hope you are well & the knees doing what they should. Lol

It's a long weekend now as we have the May Day holiday on Monday. Which probably means the weather will not be good!!??

All the best

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Good! Glad you booked your spot! I hope that waiting list is a very short one!

I've heard the arguments about waiting until age 60 to have replacements done. To me it seems like telling someone who breaks their arm that a bandaid will be put on that arm until they are OLDER and repair will wait until then!😬

If the knee is BONE-ON-BONE at ANY AGE, doesn't it just stand to reason that YOU FIX IT????😨 It isn't like the knee cartilage is going to GROW BACK in the meantime!

Obviously those making these rules DO NOT GET IT!!!! Each case should be decided based on the individual NEED of the person!

Also, why should ANYONE have to wait in agony?😱 That seems really inhumane to me!

Yes! The not-yet-done knee DOES continue to deteriorate. I felt it happening in just those three and a half months prior to my second surgery. It was amazing to me how much more stable and strong my surgical knee was compared to my not-yet-replaced knee! Second knee really was a PARTY POOPER!😄

Here's hoping that all goes quickly to get you that surgery, and SOON!??

• Posted

I don't think your left knee will cause problems for your right knee. It's more likely that your left knee will hold you back a bit when RIGHT KNEE is ready to Go-Go-Go!!!!!!

• Posted

How was your recovery after the 2nd op Cheryl? Was it easier or harder? I wonder because people have said that the 2 knees are completely different, recovery wise.

I have been quite lucky really with this one but a bit worried I may have problems with the other one! Or am I just over thinking this?

Take care

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

My second knee (Right knee) was my worst knee of two really bad knees. I had my left one done first because one morning I went to get out of bed and had incredible shooting pain in that knee that radiated to my hip and to my foot. I tried putting weight on it and COULD NOT!!!😱

I called for my husband to come QUICKLY. Long story short, I needed CRUTCHES for a day and a half to get around the house! It was VERY SCARY! After that my knee was back to its normal amount of throbbing pain but no stabbing pain.

It was Memorial Day weekend, so I had to wait until Tuesday to see my orthopedic doctor. It was then that my x-rays showed how much damage had occurred in those four years that I protested by giving up ALL DOCTORS!😊👍👍

Anyway, Doc said my Arthroscopy Ship had sailed and I was FINALLY a candidate for KNEE REPLACEMENT surgery!😊

I chose LEFT KNEE to be Candidate #1 because I felt God was giving me a strong message to GET IN THERE AND GET FIXED! If I wasn't going to DO anything about it, HE was going to intervene!

Left knee was a real bugger! Lots of swelling, VERY, VERY heavy feeling, and would be known as my TREE TRUNK FILLED WITH CEMENT! I didn't have a lot of pain in the hospital because I had a nerve block for the first 24 hours and Toradol by IV, too. Also, the throbbing, radiating pain was GONE! I could handle the "healing pain" just fine.

At about two weeks post op I noticed how strong my surgical knee was feeling compared to my other knee. My surgical knee was aligned properly, it was sturdy, it was STRONG. It was clear how poor my non-surgical knee was in comparison!

I had three and a half months of physical therapy twice a week until the day before my second surgery.

I went into my second surgery VERY EXCITED to get it done so that I would have TWO good legs again. I expected more problems with RIGHT KNEE because it always had been my worst knee of the two. I was ready for TROUBLE from my troublemaker knee.

Well, I was VERY pleasantly surprised that even in the recovery room I was able to MOVE MY LEG! I was up and walking by evening, and I walked back from physical therapy with my walker like I was several weeks into recovery! I was totally shocked at how good I felt. With my left knee it was many days until I was able to do those things.

I was SO GRATEFUL for this break of having such an easy time of it compared to my first knee replacement! I was discharged that next morning and back home to celebrate our youngest son's birthday. (The nurses had booked the room down the hall so my family could all come THERE and bring the party to the hospital. Turns out we didn't NEED it!)

Every knee is different--even if the two are on the same person's body! Believe me, I was completely shocked that my worst knee turned out to be my BEST KNEE! To this day my knees are GREAT, but my RIGHT KNEE feels the best.

Very, very grateful am I!!!😊

I hope you will be pleasantly surprised with YOUR knee as I was!!!

• Posted

I wrote this in my blog! I spent a long time trying to get my head around what was happening ! I think the time before getting listed for surgery was just as challenging as the month after surgery...possibly harder mentally!

I realised, after going through various stages of thought, emotion, research and understanding, that is it insane for someone of 52 years of age, with ambitions and aspirations, responsibilities and the activities which I am involved in, to watch that all sink into stagnation because of just one knee. Not being able to walk as I used to (walking is my main form of transport) has been the most distressing part. Though this varies, and a stick or sticks can help, the reality is, that a person needs to be able to walk reliably in life. If this is not possible at all, not treatable, not realistic, then acceptance must be the path. However, I realised that for me personally, it is insane for my joint problem which CAN be treated surgically, not to be treated. In my case, I think any aspiration of wanting to hold off surgery for as long as possible is very misplaced.

For someone wanting to avoid surgery, then things may be different. They may want to, or be content to accept, (or be forced to accept), a more restricted life. There is nothing wrong with that, if this is something which doesn’t destroy your soul. But the major cause of difficulty for me has been the fact I have wanted my knee joint treated definitively for many months, and yet I have felt that the necessary treatment was not available/going to be offered to me. I can only base my review on my own perceptions and experience. It’s possible I may have had more doubt about my access to surgical treatment of my knee than was there, but it is pretty hard to make a judgement about that, not having access to all the relevant sources of information. It was just a distinct impression. Sometimes those are quite useful. !

• Posted

I just wish I'd had the choice of having surgery in 2010!

I cannot bear to think of how things would have been different. Strangely after spending most of 2011, 12,13,14 & 15 either in hospital, or sitting in out patients or as a day case surgical patient, 2016 was the year to 'get the knees done'. Or as it happened knee singular!!

Let's hope that 2017 sees the end of knee problems with no2 surgery...please!

Life certainly IS too short to be disabled by arthritis. But sometimes we don't get the choice of doing anything very much about it!

Enjoy the May Day weekend

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Yes you have soldered on for a very long time indeed...makes two years seem short! Enjoy the weekend also! Jenny x☺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.