Magic six weeks?

Posted , 18 users are following.

Though I am making steady progress and have no cause for concern i am surprised i feel rather flat at six weeks. I think i have just really realized what a long haul this is going to be! I would welcome hearing from others a little further on from me how you found this time. I can do more, so much more than I could, but still it's very restrictive!

0 likes, 70 replies

70 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Jenny

Am 66 years old. I am 17 months out from total knee replacement in my left knee. My experience has been that recovery is very slow. One thing absolutely essential I have found is to stick with any physio/exercise routine that you have been given. If Otherwise, in my case I have found that  my knee just gets stiff. and sore. Currently I am swimming and bicycle riding as often as possible each week. Apart from this learning, I am still trying to deal with the nerve pain and inflammation that has persisted since the operation that has diminished very slowly over the 17 month period.

Based on my experience I would be reluctant to recommend TKR to anyone unless there was no other choice and then understand it is an extended, long road to recovery.

Sorry to be a bit negative but I think now that 24 month time frame is more likely to obtain recovery rather than the 12 months I was told pre op.

• Posted

pete..."Based on my experience I would be reluctant to recommend TKR to anyone unless there was no other choice and then understand it is an extended, long road to recovery."

cheesygrin  So far I can honestly say it's been the dumbest thing I've ever done to myself.  

...boy I'm paying for overdoing it yesterday!! ..yikes.

• Posted

That's not negative, just realistic.  I think the point about the importance of physio/exercise  and your phrase "extended, long road to recovery" is helpful for me to re-register.  I had hear this before, but it is quite different when you are actually in the experience!   I am over the moon about my TKR.. I wanted it very badly indeed and when I say over the moon, I really am.  I think I have been so elated actually about having it done that now is the point I have now calmed down and am starting to register the things which I automatically think of doing but then realise I cannot! Which is difficult and frustrating.  But I feel happier today.  I went swimming for the first time, which I LOVE and this has encouraged me no end.  I think I will increasingly feel more "normal" as gradually I am able to pick up some of my pre-op activities.    

• Posted

cheesygrin oh, sorry it was your phrase "extended long road to recovery"  I am going to keep that one in mind!!!!   

It is tooooo tempting to over do things!  

• Posted

I am replying to my own discussion! But it's directed at all contributors!    Just wanted to say thank you so much for your thoughts all, and also I was just thinking how it is rather wonderful to have this forum... Bit addictive but helpful..  I have lots of nice friends but having a knee replacement is such a mega experience and they can only listen for so long, before developing a slightly glazed look over the eyes!  It's very good to "speak" with others who have been through it.  It certainly is a life changing matter, and needs a lot of adjustments! 

• Posted

I found this forum in the middle of a sleepless night about two weeks after my first TKR. I TOTALLY AGREE with you about how wonderful it is to have so many people here who have gone through the KNEE THING! (Family and friends can only take a few minutes of KNEE TALK, but folks HERE can do HOURS upon HOURS! It is SO great to have people who are all over the world sharing and supporting one another!)

Thanks everyone!♥️

• Posted

I totally agree i to found this sight on a sleepless night which is pretty the norm these days.but iam hapoy i found you guys ????.iam just about 6 weeks post op.have good and bad days but im doing ok .i think i just want to be my oldself like yesterday .but its gonna take awhile to get there .but all in all its going ok.im just hapoy to find you guys who get it ?😋😘😋

• Posted

Jenny - it takes a while. At 2 months I was doing great I reached 120 bend and then at 21/2 months I got on a plane and after that my range dropped and now I am 6 months post and I still cannot bend my knee to 120. I had 50 PT sessions and I still cannot bend the knee to 120. So I go to the gym every other day. Slowly is bending but not to my satisfaction. Continue with your exercise and you will get there. Don't rush it - sometimes we need to go a little slow to get the range that with feel comfortable with. Good luck. J21370

• Posted

Thank you. I have perked up now, as quickly as I went down in mood I have gone up!I went swimming for the first time which I love and it gave me a tremendous boost. Things certainly are up and down. . No I

t

• Posted

Hi jenny iam rounding the been to my 6 week mark on tuesday.i think im doing ok ive got good days and bad .pt is getting easier i think its just me i want to be back to my old me now.but all in all im doing good.today im feeling pain and stiffness thoughi find im taking a little more pain meds it could be the weather to its freezing in new york right now.and truthfully i miss pt its the weekend and i have off until Tuesday
    • Posted

I am now 9 months post op, and well back to full energy and enjoying a new lease of life. It is hard work, the early weeks and months but well worth the effort. Hang on in there and you will reap the rewards too! Happy New year! Best wishes for your healing and recovery!
    • Posted

WOOHOO!!!!!  Congrats...but then you knew all along it would work out...right?
    • Posted

😊😀😃

I knew it would be better than life before the operation, I just didn't know how much better!

Happy New year!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.