Magnesium

Posted , 16 users are following.

Just wanted to know who takes this and why at what mg. I have been taking regular mag before bed for a good year or so-- I had heard it helps with sleep, aches/pain and also BP.. Never looked at the mg but it's 250mg so not sure that does anything. I just took 2 cuz I feel my BP raising (spouse & I had an argument) Anyways, I had to buy a new bottle as I'm almost out. BUT wow so many choices for magnesium--- power, pill then citrite, oxiode... So I just wondered what kind are others taking..

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Magnesium glycinate is supposedly the best. I was taking magnesium for a bit, but it made me extremely tired and seemed to have a rebound effect.

• Posted

Magnesium Glycinate 400 ml is what my naturopath recommended. i do find that it helps with my anxiety & i do sleep better - magnesium is supposed to help with lowering blood pressure as well - i only take at night, so dont know about taking during the day -

• Posted

Hi Kelly,

Same as Debra for me, Glycinate before bed only. Usually 400 mg. The glycinate part is supposed to have a relaxing affect for the brain and not cause diarrhea. I have a lot of neck and shoulder tension, seems to help. I also have trouble falling asleep and it's easier the nights I remember to take it. I have bouts of internal tremors and awareness of heartbeat/pounding, I think it helps with this too.

• Posted

I use magnesium lotion on my legs and arms every other day and it has helped tremendously with leg and arm weakness. I figure since magnesium is absorbed better through the skin I would try it. it also makes your skin super soft and it's non greasy which I love...

• Posted

I take Chelated magnesium (as magnesium oxide) 250 mg. Max daily amount of magnesium recommended is 350mg for women.

Chelated was recommended by someone in the forum for my skipping heart beats. ( I had been taking the non chelated magnesium for years .) Once I switched to chelated skipping heart beats were gone and haven't been back.

Chelated is easy for the body to absorb. I could just hug the person who recommended it because it made at least some of my life's issues more bearable. I went back and profusely thanked her instead lol.

Anyway it's worth googling chelated magnesium (like I did after it was recommended to me). 😃

• Posted

Also to add about too much magnesium:

Severe overdoses of magnesium are rare in otherwise healthy people. Getting too much magnesium from the diet is not typically a cause for concern.

Occasionally, a high dosage of magnesium from supplements or medications can cause mild symptoms of an overdose, including diarrhea, nausea, and stomach cramps. (medical news today).

If one acts responsible with magnesium in diet or supplement then it shouldn't be an issue. I always error on the side of caution and take 250 mg. Though everything I have just read on various sites in healthy people without any kidney issues, it is one of "can pee out the excess" supplements, unlike K, E, A vitamins that can build up in the body.

All that being said, way too much magnesium can have unwanted side effects like mentioned above. Better to error on the side of caution. I do have the spray that I would spray on my thighs after a shower. It has a sea salt water feel after it dries and can sting just a bit after shaving, so the thighs worked best for me. I still prefer the chelated magnesium.

A humorous side note: When I was a young woman in my early 20's, I was constipated and my husband and I went to the local store to look at mild laxative items to see what was available. It all look expensive...except I noticed this bottle of liquid magnesium citrate that was inexpensive and was lemon lime flavored. I didn't think I was every going to leave that toilet. lol Experience is the best teacher 😃 It is now a standing joke in my family if anyone feels a little constipated that just ask me for an inexpensive remedy. lol

• Posted

Could you share the brand of spray you use?

Thank you!

• Posted

Thanks for sharing!!! Such great info and happy to see that it helps.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing!!! Such great info and happy to see that it helps.

• Posted

Hi

just to warn you should not take more than 400mg . The recommend daily amount is 270mg a day for women (19 to 64 years). most places say you can get all you need from food.

Rachel

• Posted

I couldn't find a supplement which agreed with me so have been trying to include more magnesium rich foods in my diet which helps a bit. I find lentils, spinach and dark chocolate helpful. Think you also get a magnesium spray too which is absorbed through the skin.

• Posted

i have started taking an epsom salt bath every night to help me sleep uninterrupted. works great. plus makes your skin soft and smells great. epsom salts have magnesium and thats the ingredient that makes you tired. if i cant take a bath i use the epsom salt lotion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.