Magnesium supplement are we taking enough?

Posted , 5 users are following.

i hadn't realised magnesium( among other things) was so important in the absorption of calcium and vit d. Several internet postings suggest that we should take the same amount of magnesium as we do calcium.Ive just looked at my supplement tablets and they contain 300mg magnesium and calcium 800 mg (per 2 tablets taken at different times) amongst other things .any thoughts?

2 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My bones book says Calcium to Magnesium ratio 2:1.  Then she says 320 mg for women, 420 mg for men is daily recommended allowance. 

Calcium 800-1200. 

Zinc 8 mg women, 11 men.  Hard to find it that low at my stores.

My bone formula I;m taking is 1000 calcium and 500 magnesium,...

• Posted

That's reassuring Layne, thought I might need an extra supplement 😫
    • Posted

Post menopausal women need extra calcium, four serves instead of three.

that would translate to a tub of yoghurt, a piece of cheese, the equivalent of a glass of milk and then judge if extra is gained from other sources.

For people who do not have dairy they would probably need calcium supplements then gauge how much from other sources.

• Posted

I still don't think dairy is the best and only source of calcium for us.  Highest rates of osteoporosis happen to be in countries that have highest dairy consumption - although I concede that Vitamin D may have something to do with the rates as well, being northern countries.
    • Posted

many leafy greens, like collards, kale, broccoli 

• Posted

For people who can have dairy it is the easiest I believe. It is more difficult for dairy free diets to get enough. I doubt I could make the four serves without my dairy and there are other goodies in there too.

Having said that, my husband cannot have dairy but his soy milk is calcium enriched.

a

Why I think it is easier with dairy is that I have milk in my tea, have some yoghurt, a piece of cheese some days, but the other ways of getting it are not as regular for me. And I guess I love my dairy.

• Posted

The book I'm reading says dairy is very acidic and therefore causes bone loss. Says the US has highest calcium intake from dairy and highest osteoporosis , especially in hips. Harvard study, compared black women with African, and Asian with Asia, US drank more milk and more osteoporosis, than other countries. 

they compared women who drank more milk to those who drank less, more had more osteoporosis.

bummer...

• Posted

Nah I don't buy it. For every argument like this you can find plenty to offer the opposite and there are too many factors involved as well like genetics, quality of all food in a particular place, whether people are short on things like vitamin d and magnesium, etc.

Studies would have to take in all the other factors. Damage is done when young too where diets are based on junk food.

Any premise can be proved. You just hunt for anything that supports your stance.

Sugar is bad for you for example yet my daughter can eat it whereas she has all these other allergies and intolerances.

Alcohol is a good example. You could argue it is good or bad.

The effect of the environment has impacted hugely on our quality of food as well.

Dairy works well for me but not for my husband.

• Posted

I still wonder about it, as obviously until humans started drinking the foreign milk of domestic animals, we didn't consume dairy after infancy.  I don't avoid dairy but I would never make it my primary source of calcium.
    • Posted

Does it all go back to things in moderation verses excess? 

Having a good balance of different foods at same time? 

Live been eating almonds galore and drinking almond milk because I'm off  so many other things, then I read one can develop allergy or if one has inflammation issues then almonds not so good. 

Perhaps a little "dis" an' little "dat" (just being silly) wink 

• Posted

I believe you are right.  Moderation and good variety.  Apparently our stone age and neolithic ancestors ate hundreds of different kinds of plants, whereas we eat about thirty (something like that) and of those, about five of them almost all the time.  Does seem to be setting us up for deficiencies of one sort or another, doesn't it?
    • Posted

We have evolved too. They ate a lot of meat as well.

My daughter eats meat three meals a day because there is so much she cannot eat.

She also eats sugar.

She is an anomaly lol!

• Posted

Although I love nuts I have been told to avoid them because I have diverticula. I also have to avoid seeds.

I think it becomes very individual. 

I believe real food is best but when quality or lack of certain nutrients is present then we top up with supplements which need to be monitored.

Blood tests can be used to check for lack too. Albumin came up on mine so I make sure I have some eggs.

• Posted

Link to Strong Bones Support Group (2):

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/strong-bones-support-group-2--513840?page=0&order=Oldest#2128638

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.