Magnisum

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello, I have muscle tension, muscle weakness and muscle cramps. I do have an anixty disorder and I know some of these symptoms are cause by anixty. I'm on medication for the anixty. I found out my magnesium is a point away from being low and can cause the symptoms. I'm wondering if someone has taken magnesium vitamins and how much? I'm not sure on how many milligrams too take and my Dr. went on vaction. Any help would be appreciated. Thank-You

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The pharmacist can tell you how much magnesium to take. Too much may give you diarrhea . many fruits have magnesium
  • Posted

I have just started taking magnesium the last couple of weeks because i believe they are good for the symptoms you have stated and i go through them too  I've been on them about three weeks I still have the tenseness and leg jerks not as bad but will give them another couple of weeks

• Posted

Hi Sweetie, be careful of self medicating with magnesium. You can overdo it. I find magnesium wonderful for easing even the worst muscle spasms. I use a topical magnesium spray as needed.

I just got the results of blood work yesterday that my level of magnesium is normal.  As anxiety spikes and muscles go nuts, minerals get depleted, but then go back to normal as we eat well, take a complete colloidal mineral supplement, etc.

A topical spray  is applied directly on the skin. The skin absorbs quickly as it is rubbed in. I usually get relief almost immediately. I start with three or four sprays. If that doesn't do it, (it does for me, except one bad back spasm) spray twice more. That should do it!!

Do not use magnesium pills, unless a blood test says you are deficient. In that case, your doctor will tell you how much to take and for how long. Believe me you don't want to take the chance of too much...bad news. Hope this helps, Teria.

• Posted

Hello, I don't want too overdo magnesium. The Dr.nurse told me too take the highest dose of magnesium. I think it would be a little much. I don't eat alot of food with magnesium except for bananas I know they have some magnesium and now I'm on antibiotic and that takes magnesium away from your body to. I just don't want my magnesium to get any lower. Thank-You for your kind reply and I'm glad your test came back normal.

• Posted

Hi teria74508, I would just like to second what cia said. Don't take magnesium oral supplements at your borderline level they are unnecessary. Topical gel or spray is more than enough as it is most readily absorbed from the skin. I was given magnesium during pregnancy to help with related arrhythmia, cramps and spasms but in my case it appears i had too much and not too little magnesium and symptoms got worse on it. Was fine once i switched to milder prenatal vitamins and stopped the additional magnesium, calcium etc. As it turns out my diet was adequate and i was pumped up with various things needlessly.All the best.

• Posted

Hello, Do you have any side effects with the magnesium spray? I'm not sure if there is a such thing in the United States.

• Posted

I am in the US. Google for choices or go to Amazon. There are many reputable companies that carry it 

Side effects,,,,ABSOLUTELY NONE. Use as I suggested. If the back is in spasm, get someone to spray 3 or 4 times and rub in. If  alone, like me, spray it on anywhere, it gets right to work. Things put on the skin usually start to work in seconds, not minutes. I  just spray on upper inner thigh, rub it in and voila!! no more spasm.

I have needed a couple more sprays a time or two. If total relief isn't there in one minute do a couple more sprays.

It is an oil, so the hand used to rub it in will be a little "sticky."  Let it soak in there for a minute or two, then wash hands so you don't rub it in your eye without thinking.crylol If you need more info. you know where I am.

• Posted

Hello, I finally got a hold of my doctor today and said take 500mg of magnesium starting today since, my magnesium is on the low side of normal and having the symptoms. I hope there are no side effects with the vitimians. Thank-You for helping me and that I'm glad there are nice people on this site that are willing too help .

• Posted

Teria,if you get side effects, the most common would be diarrhea...ask doc about taking half. Glad you got some help with this, and glad I could be of help.
    • Posted

Hello, Do you think the 500mg would give me the diarrhea? I hope your ankles start too feel better.
    • Posted

Thank you Teria, they are doing well today. I will prop them up after I eat something. As to magnesium dosage, there's no way to tell. If that does happen for a couple of days in a row, stay off for a day, then take half and let your doctor know what you did and why. If you get diarrhea again for two days, go to a quarter tab or stop and get the magnesium oil, to use as needed.

I have to say, and this is only my opinion and preference, that if you are in normal range, I am a little surprised that your doctor didn't recommend a full mineral supplement...but I don't know the state of your calcium and other minerals. Go ahead and start this, and even if  it works well, I would request another blood test for magnesium in two months. If you are in the higher range of normal, I would probably stop and use the spray as needed.

Too much can't hurt you in that dosage, just diarrhea if you don't need that much. It will only cause diarrhea if you don't need that much.

Relax, you can handle this. Don't expect and dread the effect of diarrhea....now you know what to do if it shows up. You are still in control and it is only a mineral, darling girl.

If you have more questions, or whatever....here I am.rolleyeslol

• Posted

There is an average daily allowance for this supplement according to age and other factors. Please se table under patient care.
    • Posted

Yep, the trick is to make sure you are balancing with the other minerals that "go" with it. That's why I suggested that if Ingested, to take it in the perfect balance of minerals found in colloidal minerals. My sister took potassium by itself  for way too long, and upset her mineral balance to the degree that she was referred to a nutrtionist by her doctor to get back in balance. We all need to do what we believe is best for ourselves. We are our own best friends. Thanks for the input, Hope.wink

• Posted

Thank you cia good to know. Minerals are so important today's foods are lacking most of what we need. I remember watching a show on tv why some people crave calk or eat clay even animals - Due to lacking minerals needed in the body.

learn so much on here every day! 

• Posted

Ain't it the truth, girl, ain't it the truth. I don't know what I would do without all of you.wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.