Make Myself Walk Properly After Metatarsal Fractures

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi!  I fractured numbers 2, 3, 4 & 5 metatarsals (the neck area) in mid-March, tripping badly while following a map on my mobile (lesson learnt!).  I've moved from half-leg cast to off-loading shoe to 'slowly does it' weight bearing.  It's now nearly 15 weeks and, although I use a stick most of the time, I can walk short distances without it.  When I say 'walk', I mean 'hobble'.  I seem to have a mental block about taking any weight on my toes - I just lift my foot up from behind and plonk it almost flat in front of me when walking so I'm aware of a huge unnecessary limp.  Does anyone have any advice to help me have the courage to use front of my foot, please?  I've seen exercises saying 'stand on your tip-toes' for so many seconds but I'm struggling to make myself do it.  I can do that sitting down but can't say it's particularly pleasant. Any tips very welcome.....before the ball of my foot and toes just stop working completely due to lack of use!  😐

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

So very sorry to hear about your ghastly accident. Yikes! You need to go see a good physical therapist to get walking again. And the sooner the better!
  • Posted

Been in similar situation. Saw my foot physiotherapist today. He told me to stand on my toes (try not to bend knees) and support yourself. If that is too hard, get an exercise band or a lightweight micro towel. Put the towel around your midfoot and keeping leg straight push down to stretch the joints (I have 4 plates and 24 screws!) and then do it the opposite way. Get someone to hold ends tight and slowly lift the foot. No jerking of the foot for either. My physio recommends 3 x 20 each way. Do not move leg and easier done if leg resting on a footstool. But a great physio is worth it. Best of luck.
  • Posted

Thank you phoebekins and Readybluedragon.  Your replies very much appreciated.  Not only did I break my foot, my left shoulder too and I had to have an op for a humerus plate to be fixed the week after the accident.  Most of the following weeks were concentrated on that while my foot just sat nicely in its safe cast, poor thing!  Around the time the cast was removed, I had the first physical therapy session for my shoulder.  It was a nightmare....she pushed its movement in every direction to its limits and beyond and I'm afraid I just yelled with the pain but she carried on.  I was in tears afterwards and pretty shocked tbh so determined to find a way to do it myself (also the fact I had paid good money to go through that torture!).  I found some great resources and have been putting the shoulder through its paces myself and the surgeon's happy. Hence my total reluctance to get a therapist!  

So, after that little lot, I will try what you suggest, Readybluedragon.  I have a band already and have been doing the foot pull towards me but not the opposite one.  I'll have a go for the next couple of days and try out the toe-standing - once I can do that I'll be very happy!  My ankle needs a bit of tlc too I think as it's stiff and a bit painful at times, with the occasional click BUT I don't have 4 plates and 24 screws - that sounds like serious stuff.  The good thing is that you know the bones will fix properly and can't possibly move.

It's been a long haul with plenty of worrying and scary 'downs' which I didn't expect and it's time to push forward this last bit and enjoy the summer!  I will report back my progress (or lack of it!) in a couple of days.

Thanks again, both. smile

• Posted

My surgery was March 7th, a revision of surgery I had march 10, 2016. I was having so much trouble in PT with walking and then started water walking in our community pool. I have water walking shoes, waterproof pouch for my music, (lots of oldies and of course, disco, "Pump up the Volume", etc.  And it's like I never had surgery.  I suggest trying walking in the water first until you get the hang of heel-toe walking.  It was a bit of a letdown when I tried walking the same way out of the water, but eventually I was  able to conquer the pain and it has at least kept me walking.  I have 6 screws and a metal plate and my instep was totally rebuilt. Hang in there!

• Posted

We have a community pool too and the surgeon had suggested to go swimming.  My problem is that it's strategically placed at the bottom of about 15 nasty steps and no handrail!  I keep looking but haven't ventured yet but what you say sounds fantastic.

Since doing the band exercises over the weekend, I'm actually walking a lot more normally now.  The confidence is returning - in fact it's my ankle that hurts more than my toes (probably through reduced use over the weeks) but it's not real, lasting pain.  I even called the disability hire shop today to come and collect the wheelchair that's standing behind the front door.  I've held onto it as it's quite a distance to our main gate and it slopes up and down so it's been a back-up 'crutch'.  I've determined not to use it again.  Going to stop wearing flip-glops in the shower as well!  (Another insurance to stop me actually feeling my toes!)  All-in-all, feeling much happier with my progress.

Thanks for your input, Linda, and good luck!

• Posted

'flip-flops' - haven't got any flip-glops! biggrin

• Posted

I have the same issue with my nearest pool. No handrail and lots of steps. The band exercises will help you immensely. My ankle is quite rigid but is slowly starting to free up. I wear my camwalker to and from work (public transport) and change into my old sturdy Rockports during the day. Patience will get you there. Also standing on your toes (barefoot) (holding on to a bench) a couple of times daily (10 sets 3 times daily) will help loosen the ligaments around your ankle. Just keep your posture and legs straight. Good luck, Anne from Australia
    • Posted

Thanks for the extra tips, Anne.  Will add to my regime!

Yep, patience.....I'm not at the walking and using public transport stage yet, at least not without my stick.  My outside ventures are small.  Foot and ankle swollen all day and uncomfortable if I do too much standing - good excuse to not spend much time in the kitchen.  So, that brings us back to 'patience'!  Slowly but surely.

Thanks again and good luck to you too.

• Posted

So sorry you don't have a hand rail to go into the water.  Have you thought about scooting down each step on your butt until you get into the water, then just butt walk up them when you get through with the session? We have hand rails and I also use them to do water Pilates (I'm certified to teach mat Pilates and have adapted them into the water.)  My husband has lung cancer, so it's time we get to spend together and he thinks they are making him feel better. He was diagnosed last July and is beating the odds they gave him. We do lots of leg lifts, then sit on the steps to do abductors and arms. I started with 30 minutes, and up to 45.  I hope to do an hour a day as a goal. 

• Posted

Wow, that's not easy for your husband and you and he should do anything that helps.  Sounds like you're doing well.  About the steps.... I certainly would have a go but my left shoulder is still vulnerable so daren't.  It's amazing how much you need your arms when even just one foot is injured.  Keep on towards your hour!

• Posted

Slow but steady recovery. It can take up to 18-24 months to go back to "normal". Sandals are bad - supportive walking shoes are a must to aid your recovery. I have had two metatarsals surgeries in 18 months and you learn to be patient with healing. If you foot starts to hurt alot when walking, stop or slow down. All the best with your sliw but steady progress.

• Posted

Thanks Anne.  Comforting to hear 18-24 months can be the time-frame, makes me feel I'm doing well!  Best wishes to you too in your progress. smile

• Posted

Well, 2 months on from my original post and I thought I'd report on progress as it may be useful for others.  So, it's now over 5 months since my accident.  I'm no spring chicken but I used to read about others with similar broken metatarsals (but usually 2 or less) being perfectly healed after 8 weeks or similar so my expectations were much bigger than the reality has been in my case.  It's been slow and I haven't been swimming at all so you can slap my hands for that!  However, I haven't used a walking stick for probably 5 or 5 weeks now and yesterday walked about half a mile with no issues.  Still have a slight limp and swollen foot/ankle even when just sitting BUT both are a lot less than 1 month ago.  I can stand on my bad foot to put shorts/jeans on (I make myself do it!) and walk downstairs almost normally but not quite.  The steps on my urbanisation without a hand-rail, I still tackle one at a time but that's more of a confidence thing and self-preservation to avoid any kind of fall/trip.  

Each week I've been pushing myself further because I've realised that it's not the bones but the other parts of my foot that are readjusting and being stretched even after all this time. Suppose it makes sense that each little progression will involve using a certain muscle/tendon/ligament more. Basically, all is good and I reckon another 4 or so weeks and I'll be pretty much done, hopefully. 

One other point: someone I met locally about 6 weeks ago glared at my feet and asked why I was wearing sandals (they were Scholl so I thought would be suitable but hadn't been given any medical advice on what to wear) and he said they were not ok and would offer very little support.  I hadn't considered that so I treated myself to a pair of comfortable, lightweight trainers with support and cushioning.  Much better.

For all of those with foot injuries, my situation has proved that each person is different and 8 weeks to be walking or even running can be far from the norm.  Again, patience is the word!  wink

• Posted

Update to complete this thread.  Tomorrow, 11th December 2017, will be exactly 9 months since my accident when I broke my shoulder and 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th metatarsals just tripping over a raised kerb.  I hardly think about my foot now but get reminded when walking down stairs (tiny bit stiff) and trying to put my favourite shoes on!  It's taken some time but I feel virtually totally repaired now and any limp is really because of habit as it stops when I concentrate.  Perhaps I will never wear stiletto dancing shoes but I can get into my winter fashion boots so I'm happy and almost wonder why I even started these posts!  My biggest piece of advice: don't expect miracles and be patient, one step at a time (pun intended!).  P.S.  I never did get into that pool but don't tell anyone! Lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.