Male Alcoholic with high blood pressure

Posted , 15 users are following.

My friend is a Male, who is 38 year's old. He was just released from a local hospital with diagnosis being ETOH intoxication and suicidal ideation. They released him as they stated he wasn't showing signs of withdrawal severe enough to admit him. His BP was 153/99. Isn't this BP unsafe for a severe Alcoholic? Any advice would be appreciated!!!!!

1 like, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Susan, It's tough to find a good rehab for alcohol addiction. many doctors are difficult and burned out.

I have had the very same alcohol addiction support treatment from Drs in the US for my son. He has suffered years of abuse from the al treatment system in the US, police, and society in general. Addiction is not a weakness to simply put down the drink. This is a disease of the brain, the cravings control every thought. 

My son has lived in extremely abusive relationships over the years. Been in rehabs and jail no vehicle cannot hold a job. Yet I cannot enable him I know how much he suffers every day. He is my heart. He binges and black outs and that is very sad. One partner tried to kill him during a black out. He ended up on life support for weeks almost died. (Many suicide attempts and to many close calls to count.) She also put a Do Not Resuscitate order on my son while he was on life support. Had to have that and her removed from any visits.

After he recovered he went right back to her. I month in a coma and 2 mo. In rehab to walk & breathe on his own again. That's another story. Addiction is that powerful.

There are so many who just want to live without the pain of addiction. Just finding the way to sobriety takes time, effort and months to years of treatment until the brain has recovered. He is not cute/handsome anymore,as alcohol has taken a toll on him. I do not recognize him. This makes it difficult for him to find another partner who is also a functional drinker enabling him to drink. A life long pattern. 

22 years my son has suffered. Thru it all I know there are only two choices. Live sober or die with complications from alcohol.

I try to stay calm and support him, I cannot change him, only he can. His life is in constant chaos. His brain is caught in a repetitive circle of addiction. Yet every bender he says he cannot live like this anymore and will get what he needs thru the US system to break the power al has over his life.

He is on Medicaid, so not great professionals thru the system in his small town. He doesn't follow thru as the doctors have labeled him as a non cooperative risk on his medical records. 

We all know the alternatives. I thought at 20, & 25 he would stop . Then at 30, at 40. I know my story is difficult I share this with you for a very good reason. As hard as it is for me to relive it all, I want you to know it's nothing you did or that you can do to stop the demons that created this disease in your friend. If your friend cannot stay sober the power of the mind and the many triggers that addiction has to control the brain learned from alcohol abuse undermines many attempts to find sobriety.

He must do the WORK stay SOBER & FOLLOW THRU with the docs treatment plan in the US for the docs to take him seriously and treat him for al abuse and the underlying issues. Otherwise it's a really difficult process to get help once labeled uncooperative in his medical records. That is my experience with this system.

Been hoping to get him on Vivitrol shots for help with the cravings. It's similar to Naltronex . Also many good treatments on this med talked about here. See the side bar and read the posts by the moderator.

Vivitrol is not a pill to remember to take but a injection weekly. Once the cravings have been controlled then treatment truly begins. Read up on addiction and learn as much as you can. Sometimes understanding that he has zero control with the cravings in the brain which control his behaviors helps give us a way to cope. They have to learn how to cope as most of their lives they used alcohol to cope. My son is very immature and his mental growth is not that of a 41 yr old but of a immatur 20 yr old. He needs to learn adult coping tools just as ur dear friend Susan. 

My heart goes out to you Susan. Your friend must fight the addiction to stop the spiraling down. Yet there is no way he can unless he does this for himself. It's painful to watch. We can support here and stand by you and share our advice & experiences. Yet  nothing can stop the drinking until he is ready to quit.

My son is 41 and lost it all for the upteenth'stime. 22 yrs al addiction. On the streets again, I hope and pray he will find the strength to find a safe place to live. 

I never loose HOPE. This is where HOPE grows thru many posts  ,EDUCATION and lots good solid support and experience.

HOPE4CURE

• Posted

Oh, that was so awful to read, so sad for you. I'm going through the same thing with my husband and now he's sixty he's reaching the end of the road.

I cannot imagine how I would feel if it was one of my children. Much, much worse, of course.

I also can't think of anything to say to you except that your son is relatively young so  maybe he'll accept treatment at some point.

That was one of the most difficult posts I've ever read - what a tragedy, and you're right, medical people don't give much attention to addicts, which is a disgrace but a reality.

My heart goes out to you. Please let us know if we can help - just by being here, if nothing else.

• Posted

Hello Tess,

life with this disease is difficult for everyone. If it be a wife husband, brother, sister or son any close member of the family,sobriety is always the HOPE.

I share my story to help others give meaning and purpose to their lives this disease touches everyone one way or another..

Tess you have lived thru a lifetime of addiction and pain . No different than my story. I wish you the best. You have a sweet & kind personality. I appreciated  your offer to help as I extend my hand to you.. I have been thru years of therapy coping with my sons addiction and grief therapy due to the loss of my first husband in a accident. 

We were hit by a drunk driver put me in a coma for 3 months and rehab for almost a year. My son was 3 yrs old at the time.

Never would have dreamed that my son would become a drunk driver.

in middle school & high school he ran the meetings for MAAD. Yet life happens and down he went.

My 2nd husband was a alcohol counseler for many years and had a al father which lead to the reason for his profession.its the system he had tried to change for years to treat al addiction. His hands were tied in so many ways. 

will support you too!  will write more later this site is not working well.

• Posted

Hope, I'm going to PM you a link from a TEDx talk by Claudia Christian. She was quite addicted to alcohol and tells how she finally turned it around, after suffering relapse after relapse. I'll include a link to a book too, that explains why this is such a difficult disorder to correct and talks about one way to correct it.

There's another book written by a woman that used to work in marketing for a major brewery. A dear friend of hers was addicted to alcohol and she was trying to find some way to save him. Unfortunately he passed before he could get effective treatment, but she decided to pull her research into a book so others could read about all the options open to them. It's mentioned in the last post in this link:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/useful-resources-487627

• Posted

Thanks so much for all your help. I think your heart is in the right place. 

Will Read the book and saw the video. AUD Is treatable. Sent all the info to him.

take care appreciate your concern VERY MUCH!

Hope4CURE

• Posted

It's so nice to know I have such a thoughtful friend. 

Peace & Heeling Blessings sent UR way! confused

• Posted

Oh Hope... After reading this, it crossed my mind that you weren't his Mother! I see so many similar pattern's with him. I actually went as far as calling his Mother at work to tell her that I KNOW that her Son, is going to die, if he doesn't stop. He also is a "benger", no job, no family (As they have wasted many year's trying), no place to call home... Kevin, is almost unrecognizable, as he has aged quickly... Alcohol has taken its toll on him. I'm not going to enable him, but I just can't turn my back on this one, as he has my heart! He is worth this fight... Sober as of today now, for 7 whole day's... I'm very Proud of his Courage, however, if I don't get him some place to start his journey... I know the inevitable outcome! I appreciate you being able to tell your story, and I'm here also to support you! I'm sending prayers your way...
    • Posted

Hi Susan,

It's not easy to watch our loved ones become so sick from this disease. AUD 

Alcohol use disorder effects so many and yet treatments are still in most cases difficult to obtain. 

You are a survivor and the frustration, pain and anger you feel needs to be addressed with alanon, for you to help yourself first. You can do all you can till your exhausted. This is a very difficult disease to control.

I always tell my sons girlfriends when they ask why cant he stop at a few drinks? They say They love him so much and want to make a life with him. I always tell them the painful truth. "Love is not enough to make the Alcohol addiction go away or for him to take help and stay with a program to  sobriety" it only lasts a few weeks before the alcohol cycle starts again then the relationship suffers and ends badly.

. Learn all u can about this disease and what is available in your area. You can love him, be there for him,support never enable him and that's all. He must do the rest. 

There is so much information on AUD on this side bar page and the First two posts on this site.

The brain controls the addiction and triggers are what sets the ball rolling.  . Some can't just cut down they need to stop with a controlled program educating themselves what their triggers are and why they drink. It takes time to understand all the consequences of this disease and knowing that there is a "Science to addiction and "Science to relapse ( LOOK UP THE SCIENCE ON Google) it will give you a better understanding & help you cope with a loved one with this disease. This in an incredibly difficult life for everyone involved. No one with AUD wants to live in that mich pain that addiction bring them. 

My son always says he he happier when he is locked up in jail, he knows it sound strange. But in jail it's the only way he is finally free from alcohol.

Many heeling Blessings sent your way.

HOPE4CURE

• Posted

Your advice is MUCH better than mine which was to RUN....

Nice hope4cure!

• Posted

Hi Missy , everyone has their own experiences. Everyone is different. I hope you are doing well! 

PEACE & Heeling one day at a time.

• Posted

Yes, this is high and needs treatment. Any blood pressure with the lower figure consistently above 90, especially someone who is only 38, needs medication.

But do remember that everybody's blood pressure fluctuates all the time. He may have had some much lower readings as well as the one you mention.

I would still say go at once to the GP and get advice. Stroke is a big problems with alcoholics and high blood pressure increases the risk enormously.

Best wishes from Tess.

• Posted

Hi..there are a couple of Nurses here...that are saying the BP is high.

And I know it is high too because it has happened to me.  I have googled how high is too high for BP and this is what I got.

you get a systolic reading of 180 mm Hg or higher OR a diastolic reading of 110 mm HG or higher, wait a couple of minutes and take it again. If the reading is still at or above that level, you should seek immediate emergency medical treatment for a hypertensive crisis.

I just feel like his diastolic of 99 was close enough to 110...to at least require some treatment until it was lowered.  

I do know for myself, when I quit drinking alcohol after about 2 weeks, my BP became NORMAL.  The high is usually when the alcoholic is not drinking...and mine was always in normal range when drunk.

So..if he is not going to STOP drinking...than while drunk he will be ok...I think...but when he has periods of not drinking..like being at work all day...the BP could become high enough to cause a stroke...

• Posted

Or a heart attack. I think we're agreed that the medical system has let this man down and he is fortunate to have Susan to care enough about him to seek guidance. There is a clear consensus from two nurses that this BP is not within normal limits, It is a tragedy that addicts are treated so badly. It's that "your own fault" thing............I wish there was something proactive that we could do to raise awareness of the dangers of addiction (to anything) and to stop hospitals chucking patients out with absolutely no support once they've sorted out whatever brought the addict to hospital in the first place.
    • Posted

Yea...you all need to move to the US.....great treatment here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.