Male Alcoholic with high blood pressure

Posted , 15 users are following.

My friend is a Male, who is 38 year's old. He was just released from a local hospital with diagnosis being ETOH intoxication and suicidal ideation. They released him as they stated he wasn't showing signs of withdrawal severe enough to admit him. His BP was 153/99. Isn't this BP unsafe for a severe Alcoholic? Any advice would be appreciated!!!!!

1 like, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Working the medical field I have to ask what is his "normal" blood pressure?  Mine runs extremely low like 100/78.  My husband's however runs about 148/82.  So, it all depends on what his norm is.  Also, did they get a pulse rate?
  • Posted

Susan, if he's interested in doing something about his alcohol addiction, there are a couple of ways of going about it that seem to work well:

1. Detox, then start something like Acamprosate. It takes a couple of weeks to work, but it will kill the alcohol craving that would normally drive him back to the bottle.

2. Keep drinking and use The Sinclair Method to slowly reduce his drinking to much lower levels (or even quit altogether). This doesn't require detox as the decrease in drinking is gradual. No willpower needed. More info on that here:

https://patient.info/health/sinclair-method-for-alcohol-use-disorder

Do you know about how much alcohol he's going through per day or per week?

• Posted

At least 8 beer's everyday, up to a whole case a day! He doesn't stop drinking :'(
    • Posted

And by a case, you mean 12 beers or 24?

I was drinking about 12 beers a day (84 per week) before I used The Sinclair Method. I'm down to about 15-20 per week now. My guess is that if you get this info in front of him, he'd be willing to give it a go. The only thing that really needs to change is he has to take a pill an hour before he drinks. 

Is he taking any other meds, expecially benzodiazepines, anti-depressants or opiate / codeine based meds? 

• Posted

It is a little high the BP but hospitals can stress you out to cause this reaction.  Try and exercise. Go out for walks or use a gym.
    • Posted

That's true, but it's the top figure which rises in response to stress. It's the lower figure which is important.

Don't take strenuous exercise till your BP is under control!!!!

• Posted

Wow...I think a bp that high is showing withdrawal...but I guess for treatment if the number on the bottom was over 100...they would have kept him...they are REALLY bad there. 

Advice usually given...if he wants to stop drinking...take prescribed medication for withdrawals...vitamins B mostly...lots of fluid, water and Gatorade.....and small meals until he acquires an appetitie again.

your a good friend looking out for him. 

• Posted

Susan, no one on this forum is medically trained.

In addition, there would be too many variables to take into account - such as height, weight, general health, family history etc.

Please contact a proper medically trained professional and take their advice.

• Posted

Medically trained as in what sense?  I am an RN but I feel we're all looking for support from others.   I work part-time in an assisted living facitly for the elderly and the rest is voluneer work (off the clock training)  at an in patient alcohol and drug facility in Pennsylvania.  Same rehab I went to in 2002 when I stayed sober for 11 years and screwed that up. I started working there a year ago hoping to help with my sobriety.  Seems we're all in the same boat just different paddles.  I agree with what you said to Susan as I've asked what his normal BP ranges and if they gave a pulse rate.  I'm not concerned about the Systolic rate but the Diastolic pressure worries me.  When that number rises the heart muscle is resting too much to refill with blood between each beat.  But, again, I do agree that a doctor should be contacted as this seems too serious for this forum. There should be no advice given until treated by a medical professional as you said. 100% agree with you Joanna!
    • Posted

Apologies, didn't realise you were an RN.  In that case, you most likely have the most accurate knowledge on blood pressure than anyone else on this thread and I am glad that you agree than a doctor should be contacted.

I hope Susan takes this advice.

Jo

• Posted

You're absolutely right about the variables (height, weight, does he smoke) but the fact remains that a lower reading which is persistently above 90 in a 38 year old man needs medical treatment, which I'm sure Susan will do now she's read all these replies.
    • Posted

Even before I posted I tried to keep in mind the majority of blood pressures I do take in a day are elderly and 70% of them run extremely high and most are on medications for it.  At the rehab center where I work it fluctuates.  That's why it's nice to know what it normally runs.  That's one of the questions asked when doing an assessment of the person's history of drinking.   

But, overall, hearing how RGHB responded that Susan might be on here looking for advice because she isn't getting the medical advice she's looking for is something I can relate to in other areas.  I like to get opinions on here too, take what I want and leave the rest.  I say a second opinion would be the best route anytime there are medical questions involved.

P.S.  I do thank you for all advice you give on here!!! 

• Posted

This sounds insane, but really it is'nt that high. The 153 is due to anxiety, white coat syndrome, panic disorder maybe. The 99 is above normal but not extreme.
    • Posted

153 is normal only IF that is their normal BP!  99 is above normal though!
    • Posted

No sorry your wrong. 153 is completely normal for anyone who may get anxious when in hospitals.  Systolic blood pressure can raise as much as 40 points when someone is feeling anxious. Its called white coat syndrome. research it.

• Posted

I don't want to argue.  I don't have to research it.  I take blood pressure's every single day.  Some systolic numbers as high as 170.  My husband is 48 and his runs approx 148/82. Sometimes higher and sometimes lower.  He don't drink, smoke or do drugs.  He is healthier than me as addict.  But, if this gentleman's blood pressure is normally lower than he needs to seek medical attention.  Esp if he runs 100/78 like I do and THEN his BP is elevated.  Definitely reason for concern.  I still haven't heard what his norm runs.
    • Posted

Joe, a diastolic (lower) reading of over 90 is extreme in a 38 years old man. He needs to see his doctor within a few days. Even though I'm a nurse I don't know his medical history etc but anything that stays above 90 is in the treatment range, especially in such a young man.
    • Posted

Joe, a diastolic BP of 99 is NOT a reaction to White Coat Syndrome. It's the #systolic that rises when people are anxious.

I'm beginning to feel like a parrot here, but a man with a diastolic of over 90, especially a man of 38, needs medicatiion for his blood pressure! And especially because he drinks so much. I daresay it's the drinking that's caused the high BP but I'm not sitting with this man right now and I know nothing about his medial history. He needs to see a doctor, end of story.

• Posted

I take them every day, too, Kelly, so we're on the same page. As long as this man sees a doctor soon for assessment and treatment, his BP is probably going to be the least of his problems.........
    • Posted

I agree.  And it's not the top number that scares me it the bottom number.  And i agree that 99 is not a reaction white coat syndrome either.  But, medical attention (a 2nd opinion) would be the solution here.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.