Male Rigid Cystoscopy and dilation uk

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I'm 33 years old and from the UK. I'm booked in tomorrow morning for a rigid cystoscopy and dilation. I've been told I can choose between a general or epidural anaesthetic but I'm scared stiff. In the past I had a few drug problems which has rendered most of my veins collapsed, hands, arms and feet. Even just getting a blood test for my pre op was difficult, I have serious concerns that they will even be able to put a general anaesthetic in to me. I don't like the idea of having an epidural and being awake. I'm also worried that they will be able to fit the cystoscope in to me. My urethra seems really tight especially at the opening. It started 3 years ago when I was peeimg blood, not just a trace but full on dark red blood, ever since I have had agonizing pain when I prefer, it's getting harder and harder to pre aswell. It's been a nightmare but I have to bite the bullet tomorrow. I know they may recommend self catheterization but recently I had to go to A and E because I couldn't pee at all and they couldn't even get a catheter in to me ! My past mistakes have caught up to me in a way I never imagined 😢

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Pete  Did you tell your doctor about your problems.  If you did he is a ware of everything.  When I had mine I had a general which I think is the best I think.  You will not know or feel it.  Do you have a stricture.  And did they ever find out why you were bleeding.  The doctor knows what he is doing Good luck  Ken
    • Posted

Hi thanks for the quick reply, to be honest they don't know what it is yet at first they thought prostatitis or urethritis because of my age, but when I ended up in A and E they did say it could be a stricture. That's why my consultant wanted the rigid over the flexible because they can have a look, take a biopsy and repair it hopefully ! I have told them at the pre op about my concerns but they just said the anaesthetists are professional and do this daily. It's just the whole build up to it I'm scared stiff of but I can't continue with this, I have an extremely high pain threshold but this is really killing me 🙁

• Posted

Pete if your out when they do it it will not hurt you.  You may have a stricture that is why there going to try to dilate it.  I would like to know why they are doing a biopsy if you do have a stricture  Ken
    • Posted

I think they want to take a biopsy because they think there might be something there, they aren't sure what it is exactly yet, hopefully I will find out more in about 16 hours time..

• Posted

Hi. How old is you urologist? At least in the U.S. many of the older urologists do rigid cystoscopies while the younger doctors do flexible ones for the same conditions. My older urologist wanted to do a rigid to look for bladder cancer, but I had two additional consults and both urologists said a flexible would be fine. A flexible cystoscopy is like night and day compared to a rigid. It's also done with no anathesia, just a numbing agent, and is relatively painless.

I'm not saying you don't need a rigid, sometimes you do, but you might want to get one or two more opinions and see if the rigid is really required or if it's just the preference of a particular urologist who has been trained on one.

Jim

• Posted

Hi, my urologist that I originally spoke to is not the same one performing my proceeded apparently, we did discuss a flexible but because he wants to take biopsies and try to fix whatever has happened rather than put me through a flexible then have to go back again he thought it best to just do the rigid, kind of all done in one go 🙂

• Posted

Reasonable but that wld not be my decision. The flex isn't putting you through anything, it's a nothing procedure. The rigid with general is a different animal. Also many docs biopsy with the flex? How old is your doc? I wld either go for a second opinion or take a step by step approach with this doc. He may not see anything with the flex so the rigid then becomes unecessary. Simple risk management IMO.

Jim

• Posted

There shld not have been that first question mark. Most docs DO biopsy often with a flex.
  • Posted

Dear Pete,

Probably the four-letter 'F' word is your worst enemy here (Fear). I am not a doctor so what I say are my suggestions only. Bearing in mind that the procedure seems to be exploratory in nature, I would opt for the GA. The principal drawback for most people is, I believe, that a GA requires longer recovery time, assuming that there are no other contraindications. Make sure that the anesthetist and surgeon are well aware of your medical history and, I would think, your vascular problems in particular. 

Best of luck for tomorrow, Pete!

Regards,  alan86734

• Posted

Thank you, I probably will go for the general, I just found out they can go in your neck if no where else is available so it has put my mind at ease a little 🙂

• Posted

Don't know your age, but google "post operative delirium in elderly". My suggestion again is not to do the rigid, but if you're going to the the rigid I would opt for regional versus general anesthesia.

Jim

• Posted

I did put at the start I'm 33 years old, I don't know how old my consultant is because the one I saw before isn't doing the procedure tomorrow. I've had to wait about 6 months for this operation so I don't really want to change my mind now and have to wait another 6 months. Our national health service is in crisis at the moment with waiting lists and bed spaces. To be honest I don't think they can put a flexible in there either, they couldnt even put a catheter in it was almost closed up. They are doing a urethral dilation before the cystoscopy. I just want whole thing over and done with now. 3 years of constant pain, I'm kind of glad it's a 3 in one operation rather than constantly going back. I think I'm more concerned about them getting the anaesthetic in to me than anything else

• Posted

Pete   I can see them doing the urethral dilation on you first because there most likely a stricture.  That is why they could not get the catheter in.  I had the same problem.  After the dilation they will be able to get the scope in.  But I want to know what are they doing a biopsy on  Did the doctor tell you anything.  I wish you luck Let us know what is going on  Ken   
    • Posted

They don't know what it is that's causing it, they obviously suspect something or they wouldn't have said about a biopsy, they don't know if it's a stricture, prostatitis, urethritis, cancer or anything else

• Posted

I think you have a stricture but I do not think you have cancer.  You may have a very bad prostate infection.  At 33 you don't need that kind of problem.  Are you married and do you have any kids.  I wish you luck  Ken 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.