Male Rigid Cystoscopy and dilation uk

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I'm 33 years old and from the UK. I'm booked in tomorrow morning for a rigid cystoscopy and dilation. I've been told I can choose between a general or epidural anaesthetic but I'm scared stiff. In the past I had a few drug problems which has rendered most of my veins collapsed, hands, arms and feet. Even just getting a blood test for my pre op was difficult, I have serious concerns that they will even be able to put a general anaesthetic in to me. I don't like the idea of having an epidural and being awake. I'm also worried that they will be able to fit the cystoscope in to me. My urethra seems really tight especially at the opening. It started 3 years ago when I was peeimg blood, not just a trace but full on dark red blood, ever since I have had agonizing pain when I prefer, it's getting harder and harder to pre aswell. It's been a nightmare but I have to bite the bullet tomorrow. I know they may recommend self catheterization but recently I had to go to A and E because I couldn't pee at all and they couldn't even get a catheter in to me ! My past mistakes have caught up to me in a way I never imagined 😢

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Update, Just got back from hospital I had the general with no problems they used ultra sound to find a vein, did a dilation and partial cystoscopy, got about half way in towards the distal urethra and found a very dense stricture. I need to go and have a urethrogram type x-ray done before they proceed with fixing it apparently. Our hospitals are really in dire straits right now with time limits, bed spaces etc there were so many others there today waiting. I'm very sore, had a couple of pee's since, not very nice, a lot of blood but I'm feeling better now I know what caused it, plus I'm not as worried about the next operation, my anaesthetist really put me at ease today and went out of his way to make sure a vein was prepped before hand. 🙂

• Posted

That is great.  So you have some kind of stricture.  I never ask have you ever had any kind of surgery in that area or have you falling and hit yourself.  I got my stricture from kidney stone surgery Never knew I had till I got older  Rest up and don't worry  Ken 

• Posted

No I've never had any kind of injury there but I have had multiple bladder infections, they said that it could cause scar tissue to build up in to a stricture it's strange because it feels further up towards the prostate or bladder neck, it still might be there that's the problem but until they do this distal urethrogram and get past that stricture they won't know. They did a prostate massage too I kind of feel violated but it's all still very sore and painful

• Posted

I am a female I had a cystoscopy and biposy done I was scared too death when I went in there and th nurses where so kind they reassured me that I would wake up and everything would be fine and they was right. The urologist was concerned cause he found 2 red spots that only turned out being inflammation no bladder cancer and he also stretched my bladder too now I can hold it longer and wait instead of trying to go in my pants. But since April I been doing good so I wouldn't worry about this it will be done and over it those results is what you need to have though I would just let them get in there and get it over with and you will wake up and it's done. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.