Male urethral stricture

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’m a 26 year old male, had a urethrotomy at age of 16 to rid of a stricture but after a bad uti last year Iv had nothing but problems. Had a cystoscopy which revealed 2 strictures. One in penile and one in bulbar region. I then had an X-ray of urethra, whilst having this procedure my bladder was filled using a catheter then had to pass water. Since this day my symptoms got a lot worse. I have no trouble passing water my flow rate isn’t too bad, but I do get a lot of dribble after and pain in bladder. I can’t determine if it’s just dribble or my bladder leaking now which is worrying me. Anybody else have similar symptoms? I was booked in for another urethrotomy to open the strictures but unfortunately failed my pre op with thyroid issue. Hopefully will be under control soon so the op can go ahead. 

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Lad sorry for your problem.  Have your doctor ever tried a balloon dialation on the stricture.  I have one that is just before the prostate  It has been pretty good.  Over the last few year Had a lot of catheter.  My doctor has only told me that I can only have a 12 or a 14 Fr Coude catheter but the one surgery they put in a 26 3 way to flush me out.  I will be having it checked in a few weeks.  Good luck to you.  Your to young to be going through this  Take care  Ken  
    • Posted

I went for dilation, the doctor started with small catheters and got upto size 14. This didn’t improve any of my symptoms though. He also said I’m too young and there needs to be a long term solution, so he said try one more urethrotomy then if the stricture recurs he will try urethroplasty. The frustrating bit now is all the waiting as they won’t put me to sleep until my thyroid levels are back to normal. 
    • Posted

That is a strong step to take at your your age there is a lot to go wrong with that.  I look urethroplasty up when I first found out about it.  There is end to end and the graft.  If it ever comes to that I would never do a end to end.  I would try the graft.  It still takes time to heal.  You may heal faster because your young but I heard a horror story about end to end when I first was looking it up.  This guy in his 50 had on done.  The doctor told him that he would only take 1/2 a inch off the urethra he said ok no problem.  But when he woke up from the surgery the doctor told him that he had a problem and he  had to take 3 inches off. That cause him a lot of problem.  He had trouble having sex with his wife.  He said every time he tried it fell out.  I guess they had to try different ways.  Just be careful  Hope this one last for a while.  Ken   
    • Posted

When I spoke to him last he said it would be a graft from my mouth and the success rate was 95%. I’m looking for a quick and easy fix really but Iv read lots of stories about people suffering for years and operation complications. Can’t imagine staying like this for the rest of my days. 
    • Posted

Yes the graft is much easier in a way.  Doctor do not tell you when you older about penile shorting.  You just have to be careful.  You just have to remember it's your body and you are the one that has to deal with the outcome and side effects.  Not the doctor.  Good luck my young friend  Ken

• Posted

Just an update on my situation. I’m currently sat in hospital awaiting discharge, I was put to sleep earlier today to have urethrotomy on the 2 strictures. Spoke to the surgeon after surgery and he took the option for balloon dilation on the strictures. He’s quite optimistic it should do the trick, he’s left a leg bag catheter in place and said it will be removed in 10 days. Then to self catheterise twice a week for the next 3 months until I see him again. Going to be a long 10 days with this catheter In but I’m hopeful my symptoms will be much improved. I hope that’s the first hurdle out of the way 
    • Posted

Hey Lad hope all goes well for you.  Did your doctor tell you how long it will last.  I have a stricture and my doctor told me 3 years ago that if we have to do it that it will only last 6 month's to a year.  Good luck  Ken 

• Posted

No he never said. I have to see him again in 3 months time and he will X-ray to see how the strictures are looking. Quite a bit of discomfort at the moment with the catheter but hopefully improves over next couple of days. How long did your balloon dilation last for/work for?
    • Posted

I have not had one yet but over the last 3 years I have had many size catheters in.  I was first told by my doctor when he found out the problem (  Went into the hospital and they could not get a catheter in )  I was only to have a 12 or a 14 fr coude catheter.  Had any where fro a 16 to a 26 straight catheter. I had a UROLIFT done in 2015.  Was good for 9 month's  My doctor checks every 3 to 4 month's to make sure it's good.  Feb of 2016 He check and one of the clips let loose.  He tried to put it back on but it hurt to bad.  3 weeks later I had it replace and the other 3 tighted because my prostate got smaller.  Had the catheter out on Monday.  Was good all week.  I woke up on Sunday morning at 5 AM to go to the bathroom Sat down and it felt funny.  Got up and it was full of blood.  Call the doctors service.  I told them what was going on.  They said I must have busted a blood vessel in the bladder.  Told me to drink a lot of water and it should flush it out.  So I drink a bottle of water and had to go  I stood and all that came out was red blood.  That is when I stopped with anything coming out ended up in the hospital with bladder spasms.  I told them what size catheter I had to have because of the stricture they had to flush me out. The nurse give me morphine before she put the catheter in she flush me for 15 minutes and I was still bleeding.  The doctor that was on call ( which was not mine ) to see what was going on.  The nurse told him.  With in 10 minutes they took me down for emergency surgery.  He said that there was either something wrong with the bladder or my prostate.  I would not sign the paper for surgery until the doctor sign a letter saying that my prostate was not to be cut for any reason.  It took him 30 minutes to agree and sign the paper and the nurse witness it.  Well what the problem was I went back on my blood thinner to soon and ended up with 3 blood clogs on the prostate.  He burned them off and he must of been mad at me because he put in a 26 fr straight 3 way flush in me.  It made the pee hole a little bigger but I have not had a problem.  Was in the hospital in November of last year.  Doctor was doing a ridge cystoscopy and if there was a problem he was going to do a dilation. Sorry this was so long.  But had to explain.  I would have the balloon if I have to.  Would never have the other surgery. ( Ureteroplasty )  Take care and good luck  Ken           

• Posted

You’ve really been through the mill there ken. Take care
    • Posted

I deal with it. Like we all have to.  Take care of yourself Let me know how it goes for you.  I forgot to ask were are your strictures. Mine is in the bulbar area.   Ken
  • Posted

I have one stricture in the bulbar just before the sphincter and one in the penile region to the base of the penis. Also he said the opening of the penis was very narrow so he had dilated there too. Iv never had trouble passing urine I don’t think my flows to bad but can always feel urine in there moving about afterwords trapped between the 3 narrowings. I can go to the toilet shake off and all’s clear. Go back 10 mins later and shake off more. So annoying 
    • Posted

Yes that can be annoying  Mine is where one of your is just before the prostate.  It was caused by kidney stone surgery Never new I had it.  2014,was a bad year,  Had 6 bladder infection and sepsis.  I had a small steam I through it was just from getting older  Ken
  • Posted

I suspect I got the bulbar region one from a very minor hypospadias repair as a baby. Lived with it all my life without even knowing, if you don’t know anything else it’s pretty normal. Got a bad bladder and urethra infection last year which has caused further damage in other areas of the urethra and Iv had nothing but problems since, fingers crossed this balloon dilation has given me some relief even if it’s short lived. 
    • Posted

I’m doing ok, not in any pain. Just counting down the days until I can get this catheter out! Getting bored sat around all day as I don’t like moving around much with the catheter in. 
    • Posted

Next Tuesday (after Memorial Day) I go in for an outpatient dilation procedure of my penile stricture.  I will have to have a catheter for a few days per my doctor.  Not excited about it.   He said I could take it out at home a few days after the procedure. 

I am saving some paperwork from my job to do those days while I sit at home 

• Posted

Good luck I hope all goes well for you, iv never been so eager to get back to work in my life. Is it balloon dilation you are having?
    • Posted

Thanks.  I think it’s just typical ( using the increasing diameter urethral sounds to expand it) 
    • Posted

With mine they used different size catheter.  And being out at the time they know it was not going to hurt me Was told not over 14Fr coude but when I was in the hospital in November he use a 18 fr Have not had any problem with the stricture  Take care  Ken
    • Posted

You self dilate, right Kenneth.?   If so, how often and with a 14? 
    • Posted

Right now I don't have to.  Stricture is good.  But if I have to I have catheters at home that my doctor gave me.  When I have a procedure done in the hospital  My doctor has all ways gone up in size to make sure I am open.  12 Fr coude up to a straight 26 fr.  I have it checked every 4 month's or so or when I see the steam getting smaller.  Take care  Ken 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.