Male urethral stricture

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’m a 26 year old male, had a urethrotomy at age of 16 to rid of a stricture but after a bad uti last year Iv had nothing but problems. Had a cystoscopy which revealed 2 strictures. One in penile and one in bulbar region. I then had an X-ray of urethra, whilst having this procedure my bladder was filled using a catheter then had to pass water. Since this day my symptoms got a lot worse. I have no trouble passing water my flow rate isn’t too bad, but I do get a lot of dribble after and pain in bladder. I can’t determine if it’s just dribble or my bladder leaking now which is worrying me. Anybody else have similar symptoms? I was booked in for another urethrotomy to open the strictures but unfortunately failed my pre op with thyroid issue. Hopefully will be under control soon so the op can go ahead. 

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Today I had my catheter out after a long boring 11days. Flow is definitely improved and dribble after urinating has disappeared too. Before I left I had to self catheterise, I now have to do this 3 times a week with size 14. It hurt me a little and still a bit sore but I’m happy with the results, See the surgeon again in 12 weeks for a X-ray of the urethra to see how things are. 
    • Posted

I am glad it is working out for you.  I know what you mean about the catheter  The last time I had one was for 9 days.  Hope thing work out for you  Ken
    • Posted

I hope you are doing  well. 

I had my dilation on Tueday and have to wear my catheter until Monday. The tip of my penis is very sore. 

• Posted

Yes I know what you mean with the painful tip, i had this several times and I think it was down to night time erections. Hope all goes well for you. 
  • Posted

In another post, someone wrote about a procedure used after a urethrotomy called hydrostatic dilation.  Apparently, the patient is instructed to do this when they urinate.  Start peeing, then clamp the end of the penis to put pressure on the urethra.  According to this 1999 report, which I will try to link, it was shown to be effective, during a trial in Tanzania.  Here is the link:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10734538

• Posted

I would add that they call it Hydraulic Urethral Dilation (HUD), and that it was done for a month after urethrotomy.   If this really works, it would seem to be a great option, since it's not invasive, and the patient does it himself.   I've never seen it mentioned by any US urologists.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.