Mammogram fears

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi Ladies,

I've been on HRT for ai while now, ive noticed that my breasts have become very tender. so much so that ive had to start wearing a padded bra because my nipples are so sensitive..

to add this im getting a creamy like discharge from both nipples.

my Gp has arranged a mammogram for me this Friday. its my first one and im quite worried about the test. my breasts are so tender i dont know if i can stand them being flattened for the screening.

can any of you ladies advise on the mammogram screen and how painful it actually is and how long it lasts

im very nervous

Diane x

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi diane, I had one last year and am due to have another soon. (my obgyn wants one every year because of my dense breast tissue) I am 41.

It was uncomfortable, but I would not say painful. The machine I had made me stand. I have seen others sit though. I am not sure if larger chested woman find it more uncomfortable. Good luck with your test!

• Posted

awww thank you Lou,

im quite large in the breast department x

• Posted

oh, the whole thing lasted less than 1/2 hr.

• Posted

It sounds like too much estrogen.

When i was super estrogen dominant my breast cysts were off the charts and so painful.

Maybe you can request an u/s in place of the mamo?

• Posted

Hi Suzanne,Ultra sounds are usually only ordered on breasts if the mammogram detects something abnormal. Having just an ultra sound does not give a true image of the breast.Some women think having a breast ultra sound is a better choice, but it is not accurate if using it for screening alone.

• Posted

hi Diane im on hrt have been gor nearly 3 years get alot of cysts on my breasts. had my first mamagramme 5 weeks ago. lasted about 15 minutes and was painless. all came back good xx

• Edited

i get painful breast too, few months ago i had some discharge from my nipples, yellowish colour, went to my doctor he says hormones evn though my last child is now 27yrs old. i was scared too but my doctor says its normal during menopause, he checked my breast for any lumps and he says the pain is coming from my ribs underneath the breast tissue. and he says its menopause taht causes these bone pains and it reflects in my breast. evening primrose capsules is helping my symptoms.

• Posted

It usually takes less than 30 minutes. It's uncomfortable but not painful and I have large breasts. My sister has much smaller breasts and it does seem to be more uncomfortable for her. At least you're going to get a mammogram for peace of mind.

• Posted

Hi Diane, I have had several.......8 to be exact, plus three call backs........The technicians are very good and understanding, tell them your concerns, they dont flatten them like a pancake which is what I was led to believe.You tell them when you start to feel discomfort and they stop, take a pick and release....its truly only seconds...the longest part is them fiddling getting your breast in the right spot. Its one of the easiest tests out there.

• Posted

I agree! Lol! It takes them longer to get your breast(s) positioned just right than it does to take the picture. Also don't wear any deodorant or creams. You also have to hold your breath while she takes the picture, but not long.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.