Mammography Maddness

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had 2 mamms in my early 50's and both questionable, and then went to work on my research and found a great amount of info on this subject and also a foundation who does a lot of work in this area.   I have not done once since and I'm 76 and have no plans to do anymore.   The info below came in from a friend today...just proves all I've read over the years.

In the Cochrane study, 90,000 women were followed for 25 years.   This is a very huge study, so the scientific weight of the study is also huge.  The result is that mammograms provide no significant reduction in breast cancer.  And that does not consider all the invasive procedure complications from a false positive, unnecessary surgeries, hospital acquired infections and similar.  In fact if you have the BRCA1 gene, mammographies increase the likelihood you will get breast cancer.  The Swiss have responded by no longer recommending mammographies.  This is interesting about the Swiss....they are pushed like crazy in the U.S.

Another problem is that if you have dense breast tissue, a mammography is useless, can’t find cancer even when you have it but women are not warned about that.

This is creating lots of controversy.  And show again how some of the past science was not really science with studies done incorrectly  or biased.

3 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

thanks for this info i have never had one and dont intend to have one . i am 54 and have lots of lumps in my back arms and bust due to the fibro fat lymph stagnation i would say due to inactivity, well iv had them for over ten yrs and i am still here.

i also here women who have the mamogrammes regulary say things like it hurts due to the way they pull the bust around and squeeze them in to position.and more worring is they say that they bust have got bigger,

well that would worry me because surley if there are pre cancerous cells in your bust they would also get bigger, my friend died from breast cancer aged 47 ,well not from the cancer from the treatment ..il take my chances .

• Posted

Pain and radiation, those machines....

I count on my iodine daily for breast tissue and all other body tissues and grape seed ex as we were told it "may" prevent cancer back in 1995.

I think asthaxthin is the latest powerfl antioxidant.....this is the order I know about on the powerful antioxidants:   pycnogenol, grape seed extract, resveratrol and asthaxthin.   I have with the first 2 since 1995..  

• Posted

It was my best friends Aniversary on the 20th of this month. 5 years ago aged 49. Now this is something i would like to talk about. My Dr wants me to use ovestin for the atrophy but its a hormone replacement and after using if for about a week my breasts were huge and sore. I have heard hormone therapy actually increases the risk of breast cancer. Has any one got any ideas about this?

Wilma

• Posted

Hi Wilma--I'm using bioidentical hormones, and when my breasts enlarge or get sore I know that the hormones are not balanced correctly.  Yes, it is also my understanding that when there is breast growth (and also uterine lining growth) there is the possibility that we are adding to cell proliferation, which can be later associated with cancer. So, I play with the doses to make sure that my breasts do not get sore--sometimes that means a lower dose of the estrogens, sometimes higher or lower progesterone.  I just adjust each a bit until the soreness is gone but so I don't have breakthrough bleeding (the magic balance).  I make sure to monitor my hormone levels with blood tests that my practitioner uses to keep an eye on things. Can you talk with your doctor about lowering the estrogen dose or adding more progesterone to balance it better?  Perhaps there is a someone there who knows a lot about adjusting hormones optimally?  --Suzanne
    • Posted

Oh, and the metastudy that suggested that hormone replacement therapy is potentially problematic used SYNTHETIC hormone replacement therapy (not bioidentical creams) which were found to be risky when given to older post-menopausal women who hadn't menstuated for a number of years,  and it concluded that HRT increased risks for breast cancer in these older women (see the women's initiative study, I believe).  So, if that's your situation, you may want to consider a lower dose, or a bioidentical cream to lower the associated risks if you're having side effects.  I'm not a physician, so I'm just giving you my opinion.  --Suzanne
    • Posted

Thanks Suzanne. I dont really understand what you are saying but i will write downn some of it and ask my Dr when she next visits here. Thanks so much for helping. 

Wilma

• Posted

have you heard the latest joy , doctors in the uk are going to be given £55 for every case of dimentia they diognose .

now that fills you full of confidence dosent it .

thats not going to be open to abuse is it ?

how bloody stupid. its like taking a car in to a garage and saying il give you £55 for every fault you find . and the garage saying i couldnt find any .

half the cases of dimentia isent real any way its caused by drugs taken for something eles . THE WORLD OR ME HAS GONE MAD .!

• Posted

yes its going mad ...but the likes of us WILL stop it !!

We'll just keep plugging xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Posted

right on we have started the revalutionlol

for better health ,and more say in how we want to be treated

did you see that stupid scientist  article the other morning on the net

saying how she proved that homeopathic medincince did not work by taking 50 homeopathic tablets for sleep . and still remend awake

jsut shows how daft these people are . anyone with even the smllest amount of knowledge on homeopathic medincine knows it dosent work that way.

• Posted

Here in the U.S. the medical world pushed or still pushes Premrin made from horse urine as I understand it.....back in the 90's I finally tried some from a doc and my breasts got so hard and so I got off the drug.

Finding integrative MD's was the best thing I could ever done, the first IM I saw did a DHEA test and sure enough I was LOW....so I've been on DHEA for a lot of years  now, my breasts are soft and supple....I do a self check often.    J 

• Posted

Thanks Joy. I have been having one annually sine i was 39 and always they came back clear. My mother had breast cancer so i am a bit torn on this subject. I feel i am doomed if i do and doomed if i dont. 

Will try braving it and at least extend it out an extra year or two befor i have another one. 

Wilma

• Posted

My mom never had a mamm, the women in her days didn't and I don't think they were even available until the 60's or so....none had B/C and at 86 my mom's doc sent her a postcard to get a mamm and she asked me and I said "mom your breasts are fine"....she threw the card away....she lived to 91 and I think she had some blood cancer in the end....we never knew for sure....
    • Posted

sounds like common sense to me hun , at 86 by the time they had pulled her about and proberly done some biopsies she wouldnt have been in such great shape ,anyway, lets face it radiation and chemo are to much for a young body . so why put someone of senior yrs thru it. leave athem alone you did right by your mum hun . 91 is a great age .
  • Posted

Hi ya joy,

I vaguely recall the Cochrane study...wasn't this a "meta analysis"? just cannot recall. Regardless...I agree with mm/s as you state..flawed....invasive, and potentially dangerous.

You and I were around in the 50's when ulcers and "spastic colon" (now IBS) was caused by "anxiety"...took 40 years for the entire medical profession to refuted by clinical proof...although IBS cause is yet Unknown..they have some good guess'es..then we both have good ones too.

I see now where this FodMap diet is getting a lot of "traction"....wager it will end up much like that of all others..however it will cause some troubles down the road quite sad for some....I'm still you elder...and hope to remain so for another 100 years.....claudio

• Posted

thanks claudio for coming in.

just trying to follow your comments about IBS and the bowel...the seat of autoimmunity.

what is your point about

1/ IBS...is it that its been misunderstood?

2/ Fodmaps (are you for or agin?) 

Thanks claudio...do want to try to get what you're saying!

xx

• Posted

Sorry bout slow responding...I haven't been receiving all e mail notifiations...but have been assured today by moderator they've resolved the issue.

IBS back in the 50's the medical profession was confident it was stress related. Today ask any skilled GI and the answer will be "we don't know"..although in some cases they actually do have some good ideas..such as a major digestive infection/viral/bacterial...as either IBS or IBD can quickly follow.

I'm neither for or against FodMap...but my take on diets ought to be "specific"...we differ...I've read where FodMap diet is now being hyped....i.e. "inulin is bad"??? where is the data? it may be one of the most studied extracts in recent times...why? because of its positive influence on our health. Leave it to our food industry , they now put in everything...I suspect not a heck of a lot it..The 10 person test done by one nutritionist wasn't a study..and yet its being used as the basis for all kinds of hype...It would seem reasonable to avoid anything that might be cause for concern but show me the data. ..The big print....Avoid Inulin if you have IBS as it causes excess water and gas...the small print...if its consumed in excess"

Hmm...think its in Buckwheat, asparagus, and even banana...bout the same as some (not all) processed foods...

The big Kahuna Nutritionist in SF states "if you have a digestive issue...avoid all processed foods"...although my Former GP (now retired) stated "limit" not "avoid" I happen to agree moreso with the Kahuna but respect my GP's advice as well....I'm confident both

have supportive data for their advice since "avoid/limit" might be

patient/s specific.....hope this clarifies my thoughts...good bad or indifferent...... have alotta garden chores to do tomorrow....claudio

• Posted

thanks claudio !

enjoy your garden chores tomo. very generous of you to get back with such detail. thank you again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.