Mammography Maddness

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had 2 mamms in my early 50's and both questionable, and then went to work on my research and found a great amount of info on this subject and also a foundation who does a lot of work in this area.   I have not done once since and I'm 76 and have no plans to do anymore.   The info below came in from a friend today...just proves all I've read over the years.

In the Cochrane study, 90,000 women were followed for 25 years.   This is a very huge study, so the scientific weight of the study is also huge.  The result is that mammograms provide no significant reduction in breast cancer.  And that does not consider all the invasive procedure complications from a false positive, unnecessary surgeries, hospital acquired infections and similar.  In fact if you have the BRCA1 gene, mammographies increase the likelihood you will get breast cancer.  The Swiss have responded by no longer recommending mammographies.  This is interesting about the Swiss....they are pushed like crazy in the U.S.

Another problem is that if you have dense breast tissue, a mammography is useless, can’t find cancer even when you have it but women are not warned about that.

This is creating lots of controversy.  And show again how some of the past science was not really science with studies done incorrectly  or biased.

3 likes, 40 replies

40 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Just on the radio the issue was Breast Health and Cancer and it was saying that Latina women have a less incidence of B/C...and the reasons being that they have more babies usually and breastfeed their babies..

A good friend who has issues that I don't have like asthma and colitis, gets all the tests her conventional MD wants her to have, mamms and colonoscopies (I've never done one of these).....  She takes a lot of meds I've never taken and has a history of fibroids and she gets mamms annually I believe....

Her doc has wanted her off coffee but my friend still drinks probably 1 cup per day, I drink two cups of organic if that makes things better, I think it does....no extra pesticides in the coffee...

She was a big starbucks coffee drinker and her MD said this brand of coffee is the worst for fibroids, evidently the processing they use.   I have not touched a starbucks drink in many years and no plans to.

Her birth area of Calif is a big oil industry area and huge agricultural area with tons of fertilizers in the grounds and air....plus she smoked for a lot of years as did all her family.....so her start in life was very compromised. 

• Posted

Just talked to my daughter who is 51, she's a busy mom raising her 2 teens, the kids father (55)  died last year of lung cancer and  she's left with these children to raise and doing her very best...thank goodness he left some financial help to them.

My daughter went thru sudden hearing loss in 2005 so she wears a cochlear implant and now working with her insurance etc to get the latest  upgrade after 9 yrs with the one she uses....they are advanced a lot.....so she has some issues as well as being the sole caregiver to her children.....the dad's brothers just don't come thru.....what else is new.

Anyway, just a bit of info on her....but she is getting pressure from her MD to get a mamm, she may have had a couple in her 40's I forget to ask her when we talk.....

She is thinking that her MD could dismiss her if she does not do the mamm, she is resisting doing one at this 51st year of her life.....I've sent her a lot of info and she knows the controversy and knows I  have not had one for about 25 yrs.....

I've told her about iodine and breast health and I'll remind her again.....although I didn't get on iodine until my early 70's not that that is a criteria.

Now can an MD dismiss a patient for not wanting the mamm?   How can this be to force a patient to do this?    thanks all.... 

• Posted

Re: the issue with your daughter's MD pressuring her to have a mammogram, I've addressed this issue with my practitioners by saying that I've reviewed the data on mammograms and have made an informed decision to not do screening.  Her MD may push for thermography as an alternative.  I believe that the data says that most women discover tumors themselves, so have reassured my practitioners that I do regular self-checks.  Maybe she should find a different MD if she continues to feel pressured!  
    • Posted

great advice to mention 'an informed decision' this is how i tackled it with my GP practice. she'll be fine ....just pleasantly say no thanks and that she'll let them know if she changes her mind ...then she can throw the reminders in the bin ...with confidence !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.