Manipulation Under Anesthesia

Posted , 10 users are following.

Well, at exactly 12 weeks post-op, I had a manipulation done on my right TKR yesterday. I know everyone is different, but I wanted to share my experience here for anyone who wants to know more about it. The procedure was done at 7 am and I was awake by 7:45 am. I could move my knee way more immediately, even though my surgeon didn't tell my measurement, (I'll find out today in PT), we've all been watching our measurements for weeks and have a good idea of what numbers look like, right? I would say I easily gained at least 10-15 degrees, putting me probably at about 115-117 flexion. Side note: I didn't even get sick from the anesthesia! (I always do), probably has to do with the shorter time under. I can now sit with my leg bent comfortably at 90 degreed or more, can get up easily, it doesn't look like I'm getting on a horse when trying to get in the shower! First of all, my surgeon is amazing, and I trust him completely, I had complete faith in him and this procedure and expected an excellent outcome. I have probably 5-6 more physical therapy visits (only because she is donating her time to me as I am out of insurance benefits), and I stretch, bend, and stretch that knee some more every 2 hours, even at night. You only really have to do the stretching at night for like 3 days. I set an alarm and understand my sleep will be wrecked for a few days, but know it's totally worth it. I am motivated and dedicated to doing it though, I do not want to go backwards. Hope this helps anyone looking into doing it. I am so happy, and wish I had done it a month ago.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm only 3 + weeks away from surgery. Pain is more or less under control but the swelling is preventing me from getting a good position for sitting. Seeing PT and GP on Monday.

• Posted

I'm really happy for you knowing what we've all been through. I had Chiro treatment today which has eased my knee pain and hip pain. My pelvis was a bit tight and my L4 and L5 were 'out'. Walking and bending my knee is not as painful. He was impressed with my ROM 5 weeks post op. Get well soon everyone!smile

• Posted

I have this done yesterday too!! I'm so excited. I was stuck at 95, 125 after manipulation. Immediately upon waking up, I was in a lot of pain. They got that under control and by evening I was able to walk with No pain. I jumped up this morning and immediately measured. My bend is still amazing! If you fully trust you surgeon, this procedure is completely worth it! Be aware that your window to have this is no more that 4 months post op. So don't delay talking with your surgeon if your bend isn't where it should be....happy day!!!!

• Posted

That's amazing Lisa! I think it's important to realize that nother everyone can get there on their own. Especially if there is a limit on time and resources.

• Posted

Michelle, thanks for explaining this option. I'm week 4.5 and am not improving this week. I think I'm developing a UTI, so primary care gave me 3 days worth of antibiotics. Ive reached 98 degrees and holding. So if I don't move beyond this range, I will consider other options including a manipulation - if recommended by my surgeon. Still not sleeping more than 1 to 2 hours at a time at night even with 5 MG of meletonin. Swelling around my knee and thigh are impacting my ability to bend my knee. Going to see my surgeon next week, so we shall see what he thinks. Thanks again.

• Posted

Unfortunately, I had issues right around my fifth week and I think that I did not push back hard enough during physical therapy to keep that scar tissue from building up. That causes excessive swelling which made it hard to bend my knee which made it hard to achieve results. I think a lot of Surgeons will wait and try to see if you can get there on your own, but if that doesn't seem to be the case, I think manipulation is a good option. Good luck to you!

• Posted

Sue, try not to get discouraged. Your doing great after 4 weeks! As far as swelling and stiffness. For the first 6 weeks, if I wasn't up and moving around, I was consistently elevated and icing for hours everyday. I also had and still have a lot of swelling. It's a slow process but you will get there!! I had mine yesterday. Under general anesthesia he measured me at 125. I had been stuck st 95 degrees for weeks. Now almost 4 months out, he measured my swelling and it was down 4 inches. I have a ways to go but am confident I and you will get there!! God bless, keep your chin up!! Just have to be patient. Prayers for you!!!

• Posted

That is so cool !!!  You must be feeling so much better.

Thanks for the update.

• Posted

That is the way to take the bull by the horns , congratulations on your hard work.
  • Posted

Wow!

Michelle, perhaps you can define "manipulation" as applies to your knee...

thank you

judith

• Posted

My surgeon was able to manipulate it and stretch it so It lay flat on the table, and then he also bent it and flexed it until he got 120 degrees bend from it. 3 days later and I'm still maintaining the bend, and everything is easier! So glad I made the decision to have this procedure done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.