Manipulation Under Anesthesia

Posted , 10 users are following.

Well, at exactly 12 weeks post-op, I had a manipulation done on my right TKR yesterday. I know everyone is different, but I wanted to share my experience here for anyone who wants to know more about it. The procedure was done at 7 am and I was awake by 7:45 am. I could move my knee way more immediately, even though my surgeon didn't tell my measurement, (I'll find out today in PT), we've all been watching our measurements for weeks and have a good idea of what numbers look like, right? I would say I easily gained at least 10-15 degrees, putting me probably at about 115-117 flexion. Side note: I didn't even get sick from the anesthesia! (I always do), probably has to do with the shorter time under. I can now sit with my leg bent comfortably at 90 degreed or more, can get up easily, it doesn't look like I'm getting on a horse when trying to get in the shower! First of all, my surgeon is amazing, and I trust him completely, I had complete faith in him and this procedure and expected an excellent outcome. I have probably 5-6 more physical therapy visits (only because she is donating her time to me as I am out of insurance benefits), and I stretch, bend, and stretch that knee some more every 2 hours, even at night. You only really have to do the stretching at night for like 3 days. I set an alarm and understand my sleep will be wrecked for a few days, but know it's totally worth it. I am motivated and dedicated to doing it though, I do not want to go backwards. Hope this helps anyone looking into doing it. I am so happy, and wish I had done it a month ago.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Michelle, do you see any down side to this procedure. I do my exercises but the ones to bend my knee are excruciating. I'm seeing my surgeon on Monday, which will be exactly 5 weeks, to see what he suggests.I sleep in 1 to 1.5 hour increments so needless to say I'm tired. Thanks all.

Suetkr

• Posted

I can't think of anything. Maybe going back under anethsesia so soon again after the original TKR?

• Posted

Hi Sue,

So sorry...are you awakening because of pain...pls share what your surgeon has to say about manipulationboy, I am really interested in this.

hugs

judith

• Posted

Hi. I wake up because I am uncomfortable my knee get so stiff, I get up and walk up and down my hallway. I saw the surgeon and forgot to ask about manipulation. He said I'm doing well and knee replacement is a whole lot more painful than hip replacement surgery - a major understatement. If I don't improve within the next 2 weeks, I'll call my surgeon and ask about manipulation and I will ask my PT person her thoughts about it tomorrow. I got a 2 week extension on returning to work so it will be 8 weeks before I go back to work.

• Posted

Perhaps a neoprene knee compression sleeve...it is specifically made to cradle to patella, knee cap. One should be available from the pharmacy. you will need to measure the circumference of your knee in order to determine the correct size.

It is best to elevate your knee above your heart while placing a frozen gel ice pack beneath the knee as well as on top of the knee for an hour while you read, telly, chat, knit or whatever.

Then extend your leg straight up and hold it up for 30 seconds. Now slip the sleeve on. Be sure to properly allow the sleeve to cradle your patella, the knee cap. Flex your knee a couple of times to ensure that your patella is able to properly glide without impingment.

In about another hour you should have much less discomfort and pain. You may sleep in the sleeve. You may walk in the sleeve.

You will be pleasantly surprised at how much easier walking and range of motion exercises will become because the swelling will come way down.

Kind regards

Judith

• Posted

My 17 year old daughter had a manipulation under anaesthetic 8 weeks after getting a trochleoplasty, osteotomy and a complete reconstruction of her ligaments as she had so much scar tissue. She had this done last December and it made a huge difference to her recovery. Before the manipulation she only had 35 degree flexibility, after it she had 120 degree flexion. She was kept in hospital overnight due to being sick with the anaesthetic and her blood pressure was to low but most definitely worth her while getting it done

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.