Manipulation under anesthesia, your experience?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I go on Friday for this and I'm a bit concerned. I am diabetic, and am finding out that an mua often fails because of this. Surgery is most often needed due to failure.

What has your experience been with your mua? Did you feel better right away or did it take time?

0 likes, 104 replies

104 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kristina, I'm not a diabetic but I had MUA and arthroscopy and needed to have the bone shaved - the surgeon consented me for MAU and to proceed if he couldn't release all the adhesions - so he had to do arthroscopy! Best thing I ever did!!!!! But I did need a further MUA 6weeks later but that did the trick and I have not looked back!!!! Unfortunatly my other shoulder is now slowly freezing  sad  When it is fully froze I will go the surgical route again - FS is a vile condition but you don't need to suffer as surgery is availble and you will get your life back I promise smile Good luck for Friday you will be fine smile gentle hugs x

• Posted

Thank you so much for your response. My surgeon has not had me sign a consent for surgery if the mua fails on Friday. I don't think surgery would happen the same day.

The reason he's doing this now, only 2 months after the frozen shoulder diagnosis, is because I have ankle surgery in August. This is hopefully going to help me so I can be on crutches for 6 weeks.

I am expecting good results initially, but am also planning for the possibility of surgery sometime next year.

• Posted

Hi Kristina, I had my first MUA in January 2014, after suffering with FS for about 4-5 months. It was very successful and I now have full range of motion in that shoulder. Early this year, I experienced another bout of FS in the other shoulder. I had an MUA for that one in May. I have just completed 6 weeks of physical therapy and I am at about 80% range of motion now. The doctor says even with MUA, it can take 6-12 months to fully regain range of motion. I am not diabetic and have no idea why I've been plagued with this horrible condition, I wish you great success with your MUA. Work hard in PT afterward and your chances of regaining motion and lessening the pain will be much better. Hugs to you, you can do it and ultimately you will be fine! smile
  • Posted

My mua is tomorrow and I'm a nervous wreck. I was never this nervous when I had surgery. Wish me luck, and I'll post when I feel up to it.

• Posted

Kristina you will be absolutely fine smile Just think you WILL get your life back! Its amazing so worth while!!!! In no time at all you will be washing your hair, shaving your pits, doing your bra up, throwing away your baggy tops, you will be living again!!! Just do the excersises they give you and the world will be your oyster!!!!! Big hugs! x

• Posted

Thank you Linda, that is the hope after today. But the real hope is to be able to get around after my next surgery, so I'm not completely helpless. It's 7 weeks until that surgery, so here's hoping.

• Posted

I have been home for almost 2 hours, and I'm in a world of pain. They gave me morphine and fentanyl to try to control the pain, it took about 3 hours for the pain to dissipate. But hopefully I feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi Kristina did you just get MUA or did they proceed and do arthroscopy?? I'm so sorry to hear you are in so much pain I can't believe they didn't put a block in for you! You have a very cruel surgeon! Are you in the UK? It seems where you live depends on how FS is treated! I hope you've managed some sleep? Sending gentle hugs & wishing you a speedy recovery smile xx

• Posted

Hi Linda. No I'm in Canada. I don't think I got a block yesterday, or back in February when I had the initial surgery. I got very little sleep because of the pain, and it's just as bad this morning as it was last night.

• Posted

I forgot to say that only the mua was done. I'm still pretty out of it right now, been sleeping most of the day away because of the pain.

• Posted

I am concerned right now. I can't find any information online about this.

Since yesterday, pain and stiffness has been increasing in my neck. In fact, I just woke up not being able to move my neck.

The worst is not being able to move side to side.

• Posted

I had neck issued shortly after MUA. Are you going to physical therapy? If so, tell your therapist about your neck. He or she can help you with some exercises to ease the stiffness. Also, tell your orthopedist, maybe he can expand your PT prescription to include ultrasound and STEM treatment for your neck. I did these things and now my neck is just fine ... Good luck!!!
    • Posted

I never did get a referral to physio after this procedure, but when I see my family Dr on Tuesday, I will be getting one. I will also tell him about my neck.

As for therapy, they will deny me any treatment for my neck, one problem at a time they say, which sucks.

Hopefully things get better.

• Posted

Oh gosh Kristina how awful for you! In the UK you are given a physio appoinment staright after the surgery! ThOmkat is right you must tell them about your neck! Definately mention it to your GP I'm so so sorry you are still suffering...........hope you get some relief soon - sending gentle hugs x

• Posted

Well, a hot shower helped my neck last night, the pain and stiffness are less than it was. However, there is still a lot of pain in my shoulder. I have less range of motion now than I did before, I don't think that's a good sign.

Hopefully in Wednesday I'll get some good news from my therapist, and we'll see if I can get the motion back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.