Manipulation under anesthesia, your experience?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I go on Friday for this and I'm a bit concerned. I am diabetic, and am finding out that an mua often fails because of this. Surgery is most often needed due to failure.

What has your experience been with your mua? Did you feel better right away or did it take time?

0 likes, 104 replies

104 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The neck pain has cleared up on its own, so I didn't bother talking to my therapist about it today. Physio was torture today, so much pain even though I took 4mg of hydromorphone. I've also started taking the slow release pain meds, can't remember what it's called.

I got new exercises to do today, and I was actually able to clasp my hands behind my head. I have never been able to do that since the injury.

Its 6 weeks until my ankle surgery, and I've been trying to raise funds to rent a scooter. They are not covered for temporary use, so I don't have a choice but to rent one. I need to get to appointments, and there's no way I'll be strong enough to hop around on crutches all the time.

I am blessed to have such wonderful friends, they have donated some funds to me, but I'm still working on getting the rest. I have less than half the funds raised.But I keep hoping for a miracle, I have some money coming in that will get me a little closer to where I need to be. While it won't be enough, I'm hoping I can cover the rest of it on my own.

If it weren't for this shoulder problem, I wouldn't have to rent a scooter, I would be able to get around on my crutches.

I'm still waiting to find out if I'm qualified for free home care, I find out on Monday if I am. I would be placed on a waiting list, and referred to private pay home care if I don't get through the list before surgery. I will keep my fingers crossed that I don't have to somehow find a way to pay for home care.

• Posted

So glad that your neck pain has finally eased smile Hope things have finally started to improve for you smile xx

• Posted

Thank you Linda. One day at a time for me. In time I know things will get better.
    • Posted

Hi Linda, 

Wow, Kristina is so lucky to have a friend like you, though I'm so sorry to hear she has suffered so much, I question the treatment she has received from her sugeon. 

I'm from Seattle , WA USA and its my understanding that per my surgeon I'm to go to PT right after MUA. I've actually had a case of bad luck as he told me yesterday: I had anthroscopic surgery 3 months ago with what I thought was a speedy recovery as I returned to work quite quickly (36yo and not a diebetic). He did not diagnose FS and decided he had to shave off a spur on the rotator cuff and drain the bursa as the cause of all my inflammation though I always believed I only needed MUA. But the last three months have been a cycle of good and bad days with continuous PT, water therapy, massage and even acupuncture to loosen muscles around the shoulder, neck, pecs and back rib cage. Sadly all that I have done has not been getting better that limits me from activities, work, and sleep comfort. So yesterday he said it didnt work and I will need MUA after all and has diagnosed FS. The initial thing I am concerned with is that he suggested for me to first try a cortezone injection under xray with PT manipulation but only for 3 weeks to see if theres improvement. If no improvement persists, I must have MUA plus anthroscopy to clear any excessive scar tissue. Such a dilemma but my surgeon agrees, I can't go on with these limited range of motion and discomfort any longer. Thanks for listening...

• Posted

Your surgeon sounds like he can't make up his mind about what's wrong. I would get a 2nd opinion from another surgeon.

• Posted

It's been just over a week, and I'm still on my pain meds, but only at night and before physio.

At this particular moment, my range of motion has returned to its pre manipulation state, which is raising my arm to just above shoulder level. That is an improvement since starting physio on Wednesday.

I am heading back to 4 days in a row of physio this week, then off to see my surgeon on Friday for my 2 week follow-up.

My pain is better than it was before the manipulation, and I'm happy about that. I never thought I'd see myself in less pain.

So far so good.

• Posted

That's already great news, keep it up and wishing you an even more speedy recovery. 

• Posted

Oh my gosh avi98007 you have been through the mill sad  I certainly would get 2nd opinion if you can.............I know any kind of surgery to the shoulder can start a frozen shoulder off so even if you didn't have it to start with you definately sound like you have one now!!! I had physio and tried accupunture but had no relief what so ever from it!!!! Unfortunately I'm now on my 2nd FS - the left side - non dominate...........having zingers ++++ sleepless nights etc etc - I will definately go down the surgical route when I'm froze solid!!!

I try and support anyone with this awful condition - it does get better honestly there is light at the end of the tunnel smile gentle hugs xx

• Posted

Thanks Linda

Today the pain is much better, and the mobility is improving.

I still have moments where I feel a pop, then a jolt of pain. The pain doesn't last long, but it sometimes feels like something's catching.

Other than that issue, I'm pleased with my progress. I see my surgeon on Friday. Hopefully he's just as pleased with my progress.

He has told me I'll regain 80% range of motion back.

• Posted

Hi Avi98007 ,

Just wondering how you are doing ? If you ever got a second opinion or your

Surgeon clarified your diagnosis. I am in western WA also. On my Third

Time with FS. I hope things are going better for you.

• Posted

Saw my surgeon today. He told me that when he did the manipulation, my arm did not allow for any more movement than I said it had. By the time he was done though, he had it moving.

He told me what exercises I need to do in order to get external rotation back, which is the last thing remaining to have complete range of motion.

He said once I have full range of motion, then I can work on strength training, which I really need, which he knows.

He says i dont need anymore appointments with him, but I can call if I need to.

My biggest concern is that my ankle surgery is in 5 weeks, and it's doubtful that I'll be strong enough to be on crutches full time after surgery. I'm having an impossible time coming up with the funds for a scooter rental, there's just not enough time to save it, and I feel that I'll have to sacrifice rent or bills in order to pay for it.

I just dont know what to do about that. All i know is that i need this surgery to get my life back.

• Posted

Morning Kristina smile thats really good news from your surgeon smile 

You still have 5weeks to go until your next lot of surgery huni and you will be amazed at how quickly your range of movements come back - at first its a struggle and you will get frustrated and impatient but you wake up one day and hey presto you have movement  smile strength wise it does take a little longer to get that back but I think you will have recovered sufficient enough to cope with crutches smile Stay strong smile you WILL get there! I'm guessing your pain now has lessoned? and that you are now sleeping? Keep up with the excersises smile 5 weeks is a long time away but I'm sure you will be strong enough to cope with your ankle surgery  smile big hugs xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.