Manipulation under anesthesia, your experience?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I go on Friday for this and I'm a bit concerned. I am diabetic, and am finding out that an mua often fails because of this. Surgery is most often needed due to failure.

What has your experience been with your mua? Did you feel better right away or did it take time?

0 likes, 104 replies

104 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm glad to find a current discussion on FS. I feel for everyone going through this debilitating condition. I had a shoulder injury in Feb 2015. I was in p.t. for 6 months before the discovery of a labral tear. I underwent a slap repair surgery in August of 2015. Did p.t. for several months before returning to full duty a work. Within a month I was having pain again. Come to find out in April 2016 it re-tore. In May I had another slap repair with a bicep tendinosis done (cut the bicep tendon and anchored it to the shoulder bone) so it wouldn't cause any further tearing of the labrum. 3 weeks after surgery I was in a lot of pain and couldn't move my arm and my Dr said I had FS. I did p.t. for 6 weeks with very little progress so he scheduled a MUA. He did the arthroscopic release along with it. Apparently I had a lot of scar tissue that he removed and he only was able to manipulate it just a bit further. Unfortunately the nerve blocker only numbed my arm and not my shoulder and had 4 doses of Fentanyl within an hr and a half. Luckily that helped. I'm a week post mua surgery and still don't have any better ROM and still in a lot of pain. My p.t. told me today he's not sure p.t. is even helping me (he knows my shoulder very well after a yr and a half). Going for my 1 week post op tomorrow. I'm hoping he just says give it some time (though a yr and a half is long enough) and doesn't say we need to revisit the o.r.

• Posted

Hi deb

Just wondering how you went at your 1 year post op appoint?

Do you have better ROM now?

• Posted

It went ok. The Dr seems to think (at this point) I'll be good in 4 more weeks but I'm still struggling with getting my arm to move in all directions. Only big improvement is forward motion. My p.t. can get my arm to 120 degrees but I can only lift it myself to 110. I still get a lot of pain during p.t. and when I over do it. My insurance is only coving 5 more p.t. appts so not sure how things are going to play out at least in the short term. I go back to the Dr on Wednesday so I'll post an update then.

• Posted

I did mua 2 months ago And still have limited range of motion especially reaching back like to put a bra on. In the other directions I have had much more improvement. It seems like even after mua it can take months to get full rom back. I am trying to be patient but it's hard. I still go to pt 3 times a week

• Posted

Yes having patience is hard. I've been getting anxious cuz I only have 2 and a half months of time off of work left and I've used up all of my p.t. that my insurance covers . Hoping they agree to continue. If they don't that scares me that I won't fully recover.

• Posted

Thank goodness I have good insurance. I have been off all summer and going back to work next week. I'm expecting my arm to hurt more but maybe using it more will help.

• Posted

Hope you are doing better. Hang in there
    • Posted

Thanks. I'm a trooper. But it's hard. Little things tick me off. Like a nurse who is not mine telling me that it was too early to wash up. She has no right to say anything like that.

I should be seeing the shoulder surgeon today, keeping my fingers crossed about that.

• Posted

So it's been a horrible couple of days, with a severe bout of pain yesterday resulting in an ultrasound being done this morning. I'm being medicated every 2 hours as well.

There is concerned a blood clot, although I don't see how since I get a blood thinner every day.

This morning my nurse wasn't able to give me pain meds before I went for my ultrasound just after 5:30 this morning.

I lay for more than half an hour before someone took me back to my room where I was finally able to get pain meds.

Tomorrow the splint will be changed, which means that I'm not moving out in the morning.

Hopefully things get better soon .

• Posted

Hope to hear about an improvement soon and that you can still move out of there tomorrow 😎

• Posted

I had another blood clot scare the other day. I wound up in emerg for hours and hours. At first I was in their resuscitation room hooked up to monitors.

I was in a lot of pain. A CT showed nothing of concern, but they never did deal with my leg pain, although they claim they did.

Today is a rough day pain wise, but I can't even bother to ask the nurse for pain meds as I don't like her. I'll just take my own, then relax in my bed.

I don't know what will happen Friday, but hopefully I do get to see my surgeon and tell him how much pain I'm still in.

I could be here until the end of November, although I was hoping I would be home before then. I just have to wait and see how it goes. With no muscle mass in my leg, it will be a while before I'm able to walk.

• Posted

Did get to see my surgeon today and discuss my concerns. He clearly doesn't feel they're important as my next appointment is in December.

I discussed the problem with my toes, and he says there's a tendon in the area of surgery that controls the toes. Said if it was damaged, it would affect all the toes. But he did see what I was talking about.

He put me in a walking boot, but not an aircast. It's called a rebound Walker. Look it up and you'll see what it looks like.

It is painful to wear. I will be calling the clinic on Monday, demanding that they find an aircast in my size. If they don't replace it, I won't be walking.

I will have to talk to him about pain I have in my heel when I do walk. I noticed that after I left my appointment so it was too late to do anything.

I was able to shower tonight, and it felt good washing my foot for the first time in 6 weeks.

I will still be in the nursing home for another 6 to 8 weeks.

• Posted

Wish I had good news, but I don't.

I had to buy an aircast online, the clinic has discontinued them, which sucks.

I did some checking, and unfortunately, all of my toes are affected, none of them work properly.

I see my surgeon Friday, and if he brushes me off again, I'm getting a 2nd opinion. If my other surgeon agrees with me, then I just might persue legal action since I will have trouble walking.

I am angry at my surgeon, and I have every right to be.

• Posted

Good luck. Definitely get a second opinion. Either you will get better treatment or if he agrees with current treatment at least you will know you did all you could.
    • Posted

Well, after some confusion about the appointment, I was able to see the surgeon.

As expected, he brushed me off so I am in the process of getting the 2nd opinion I need.

Here's hoping things go better with my other surgeon

• Posted

I go see my family dr on Tuesday, he wants to see for himself what's going on.

Today is a bad day for pain, my ankle hurts all over. I feel pain where the tendon is, pretty sure that means that I'm right.

I just wish this nightmare was over, it's very depressing. I want to go home. I will need to be home by November 11th, that is 3 months away from home.

I read up that if I'm away for more than 3 months, disability will reduce what I get for rent.

My worker hasn't been in at all to discuss the aircast purchase, and I was billed for the rebound Walker despite being told they would cancel it.

Hopefully I get that sorted out tomorrow.

• Posted

I managed to get the aircast issue resolved today, and the bill for the original boot was cancelled as well. That was a good thing.

Saw my dr who agreed that I need a 2nd opinion, so he's working on that for me. He saw what I was talking about with my toes. And he told me that my shoulder surgeon is an excellent ankle surgeon. I should have seen him instead.

As fory shoulder, it was doing OK until this morning when I thing I retore something in it. I have been in so much pain today, it's been horrible.

I have to wait until November 23rd to get ultrasound results. If I need more surgery, it will be next year. And if it's ankle surgery, I'll be back in the nursing home again.

• Posted

I really give up on life, after yesterday, I wonder about it all.

I went home for a short visit yesterday, only to wind up in emerg for almost 8 hours. I had a nice visit until my husband tripped over my bad ankle.

I got back to the home with worsening pain, I couldn't eat my dinner due to the pain.

I wound up going to the hospital with what I thought was just a damaged surgical repair, but I was never told if it was or not.

However, I found out, on my own, that I have undiagnosed rheumatoid arthritis in my ankle. I'm reading up on it now, and the more I read, the worse I feel.

I believe that waiting so long for surgery caused this. There is a lot of bone erosion.

I also found out the hard way that I'm allergic to morphine as well. I am far from happy.

• Posted

Please don't give up. It may be a long path but you will feel better some day. I think a key component is your pain fo you have access to someone who specializes in pain management? Good luck overcoming your many challanges

• Posted

You would think with the RA diagnosis, I would be referred to a rheumatologist, but they didn't bother.

Now I wait until next Friday to see my surgeon, who has done a complete 180 by the way. I have to wait and see what he says about the diagnosis.

• Posted

What country are you in? Just wondering cause it sounds like you have a different system there then we have in USA. Good luck
    • Posted

I'm North of the border in Canada. Free healthcare should be better than im getting.

• Posted

An update on everything.

Well, everything is a mess right now. I had my second opinion today, and my surgeon agreed that there was something wrong.

He's sending me to a different neurologist to rule out nerve damage, sending me to a rheumatologist to rule out rheumatoid arthritis.

He also says I need another mua on my shoulder, but he wants to wait until we get my ankle issues sorted out.

I'm also dealing with ulnar nerve impingement, I'm looking at surgery to fix that down the road.

So I'm definitely a mess.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.