Manipulation under anesthetic

Posted , 16 users are following.

My bend is not coming along very good I am 8 weeks TKR my bend is 110.  My surgeon has suggested I habe mu knee manipulated under anesthetic.  Has anyone had this done, does it work, and does it hurt afterwards? I cannot fid out much about this procedure on line.  I do not want to go ahead and have this done if it does not work that much. I woud rather keep up the exercises and hope my bend improves.  Any answers

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Personally I think you are doing well. I would continue with your exercises & give yourself longer to recover & improve. Sometimes having it manipulated this early results in more scar tissue which causes more problems with your bend. Don't rush in.
  • Posted

Maggie, I can't see a problem with a bend of 110 at 8 weeks! He does seem to be in a hurry! My physio thought a 120 bend at 10 weeks was great. I reached 132 a couple of days ago which was exactly 13 weeks post op, and most of it seems to have happened in the past 4 weeks. I'd say give it time and you'll get there without any more "help" from the surgeon.
  • Posted

I had manipulation done at 7 weeks. My pain before was tolerable but after the pain has been intense. Took 6 months before I reached 125 bend and 0 straight. Still on pain meds also. Not sure I would have the manipulation if I had a choice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.