Marijuana Induced Hell (PLEASE READ/HELP)

Posted , 268 users are following.

Hi,

In December of 2012 I made a completely moronic mistake. I smoked a lot of weed and had a panic attack. I took a few hits of a joint, was already too high without realizing it and then I got passed a vaporizer and hit that without realizing how powerful it was. I didn’t even know what a vaporizer was, it was my 3rd time smoking pot in my life and it has been haunting me to this day.

The next day when I woke up I felt what I later found out to be depersonalization/derealisation. I went on an SSRI and after 2 months of complete HELL I was able to live…decently. That being said, my anxiety was through the roof, I was having physical symptoms that I never, ever had – or even knew existed for that matter, I’ve been getting weird, annoying thoughts, halos around lights, visual distortions and a bunch of other stuff that’s been hard to deal with.

Now I’m really ambitious and despite feeling this way I just kept pushing through, I ended up moving cities, switching my life, was studying nonstop, doing music production, working, blah blah and I had a panic attack one day that seems to have relapsed me into the exact same hell that I endured when I smoked that pot.

I should also mention that I got off of my SSRI about 3-4months ago because of sexual side effects and I think that was a bad idea. I’m back on Ciprilex 10mg, in a mood and anxiety program, I’ve purchased a couple programs, im eating better (when I can actually eat), going to the gym, etc. I will do ANYTHING to get my life back. Before this I was a 3.97GPA student and I was making good money, loving life. Now I can’t go to school this September and I’m flat broke – I feel like I’m living in hell.

I knew I had GAD before this but it was always controllable. I was always told marijuana was good for anxiety and I know firsthand that for me, it’s not. I obviously triggered a latent disorder or exacerbated my pre-existing condition but I am praying that I can get it back to where it used to be (its 100x worse in every way possible) and get rid of this depersonalization in time.

Has anybody ever experienced a reaction to marijuana like this? I messed up, I know it but I’m praying I didn’t ruin my life/future. I'm not suicidal and I'm absolutely determined to get better, I will fight nonstop and do everything necessary -- but in 5 years if I'm still living like this I would honestly kill myself. I do not want to die and just the thought of that and having these thoughts in my head are killing me because I have so much good to offer the world and I love life more than anything, it's truly beautiful, I want to be me again.

Please help me. I’m desperate.

45 likes, 522 replies

522 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I started smoking pot after I broke up with my girlfriend and it was a release at first. I eventually ended up doing what I always do and abused it. I was smoking an ounce every three weeks and it messed me up. It made me hugely jittery and paranoid. I had to quit and it was very, very difficult. You literally take it one hour at a time, but it can be done. You can't get addicted to pot like other drugs but you do get addicted to the feeling. I got to the point where I knew it wasn't doing me any good so I knew I had to quit using it, and that is the key point. Knowing it's bad for you gives you a very good reason to stop. It's hard, but it can be done. If I can give it up, anyone can. 
  • Posted

I know a lot of people down talk cannabis.... But I suffer from PTSD and GAD and I smoke, not all the time, a couple of times a month, but when I'm high the majority of the time I'm good. My twitches stop, I don't have panic attacks, my clammy hands stop being clammy.... It sounds as if you've just had one bad time with it. Not everyone is like this. I think sticking with medication isn't a long term thing, but it does help. Good luck!
    • Posted

I think its almost universally accepted that illicit drugs and mental health issues is about the worst thing u can ever do. If you chose to do it, no problems but be aware of the risks. And the risks are severe
    • Posted

I think FW got some bad, contaminated marijuana. Who knows what they put in some drugs nowadays. Here in Montreal, Canada they are about to open up marijuana outlets all over the city. Now that is for medicinal marijuana only and it will be pure and protected by the government. 

My friend's son who has Lyme disease and was suffering terrible joint pains, and unable to work, on the advice of Lyme disease medical experts, took marijuana for a month in pill form. It completely cured him of this debilitating pain. When he stopped the marijuana, the pain did not return. 

Of course many of our top medicines have a botanical source such as the heart drug Digitalis which comes from the beautiful, flowering foxglove plant. 

I see, FW that you have changed your name. There is less anger in the new name. Good for you. 

Don't forget the advice from Athol and myself! I know my message is long...but every bit of it is worthwhile. These are not just my ideas but are gleaned from credible medical sources on the internet....especially the magnesium/anxiety/depression connection which I can't stress enough can help your brain in its recovery.

Best of luck!

Robin

• Posted

Robin.. Wow I may think again about the pill form for my pain. I have debilitating joint pain. Yet it get to a point were I would like a better quality of life.

many new M outlets opening up here in the NW. I don't trust the M in shops no regulations UR at the mercy of here say...

the shop opening today was a bust they had people waiting all day the shipment never arrived until late evening. What a mess. I don't like the risk of smoking so I have been tossing the pill forms M. I am allergic to opium based drugs.. Others bad reactions.. 

Hope u ur well...

• Posted

I changed my name because a moderator requested that I do so as children visit this site.

The marijuana I smoked was government issued, medical marijuana from Ontario. There was no laced substances, etc -- about 30 people all smoked the same stuff with me that terrible night.

It is obvious I had a latent condition that was triggered, now I just need to figure out how to control it and get my life back.

Any advice I get I will pursue, I want my life back and am committed to recovery.

And to anyone who said don't smoke again, trust me, I know. It was my third time in my life (im 24) -- I wasn't much of a drug user in the first place.

• Posted

No kidding! Everyone else who smoked that weed was fine... and it was medical marijuana... Are you Canadian, 'Ihatethatweed'? Are there resources for people who have this kind of reaction to a drug? Can you do a major research and find people who are experts in the effects of drugs on the mind and how to recover? 

THere is a lot of talk these days about gluten allergies or intolerances.. I read the book Wheat Belly and the doctor/author suggested that it isn't gluten that is the issue, it's wheat itself. Without getting into a whole spiel about how wheat genes have been altered, he claims that this tampering with its genetic code has produced a brain toxin...which he feels is behind mental illness and even ADHD.  If I were you, and as desperate as you are to get back to normal, I would eliminate all wheat from my diet for a month to see if there  is any improvement. Unfortunately wheat is mixed in with other grains such as in rye bread etc.. You could eat corn flakes or rice krispies instead of toast and you can buy gluten free bread which is wheat free. 

I have read in the past..as I am sure you knew even before you smoked the marijuana, that marijuana can trip vulnerable people into schizophrenia or bi-polar disease. But then I have read that this is unsubstantiated... 

My friend's son who is exactly your age and who was an occasional marijuana smoker, had a psychotic episode 18 months ago with paranoia and had to be hospitalized for about a month. He was non-compliant with his meds and had to be rehospitalized once. But he has since taken a program and graduated as a carpenter and has a job and life is good! Maybe in a sense you have gotten off easy because you certainly have your wits about you. 

As you suspect, maybe this condition was waiting in the wings. Does it run in your family? This is often the case.

Are you going to follow the advice that Athol and I have given you? Not to be harsh, but I think that 'figuring out' could be replaced with 'taking action'. And you certainly sound like an action kind of guy. 

I suspect that in no time...maybe a month, maybe sooner, you are going to start feeling a lot better if you take good care of yourself. Go back and copy, paste and print the recommendations and follow them.

If you are from Toronto, come up to Montreal on the bus. (Stop Kirkland) and I will personally pick you up (5 minutes from my house) and take you to see Juan Wong at Ki Nature et Santé. 

Take care 'Ihateweed89'.

Robin

• Posted

I'm glad of the name change . I hope u have found peace.

feel better soon. So much advice and right on the money .

take it one day at a time 

• Posted

Hello IHW89, 

I am so glad I found your post; I've been going through the SAME sh*t. I've only ever smoked 3-4 times in my entire life, after I turned 21 and joined University. For me, it was just a way to ease the stress in my daily life and three days before I went home, BAM. The panic attack I experienced was something that I'll never be able to forget. This was in December 2013.

Since then, I moved cities, switched schools and changed my entire life and friends. I moved back home with my parents (it got really bad). I kept reading every where online that it would take 8-9 months to subside so like an idiot I waited. In between I was on Cipralex and Seroquel but foolishly quit without knowing what the side effects would be. Anxiety was terror and it took over my life. Negative thoughts, hopelessness, the feeling of guilt the WHOLE THING. (Endless Crying, thinking I had a nervous breakdown..)

Currently it's been around 2 months since I've been put on Zoloft (50mg). Although the depersonalization is gone and the anxiety has subsided SLIGHTLY (I spend alot of time painting), I am still scared to death that this will all rear it's ugly head again and nobody will be able to save me (myself included). 

Sometimes I think I've completely lost myself; I know I'm still me but my psychiatrist told me I was depressed; I don't understand.

I don't exercise anymore/sleep right etc.. because I've just given up on all that. The zoloft seems to be helping after a month I feel alot better but perhaps I could add/change up some things in my recovery.

My question to you is, after 2 months of the cannabis induced anxiety, you were on an SSRI (Which one?) 

Also, you mentioned : "My anxiety was through the roof, I was having physical symptoms that I never, ever had – or even knew existed for that matter, I’ve been getting weird, annoying thoughts, halos around lights, visual distortions and a bunch of other stuff that’s been hard to deal with." - Was this despite the SSRI you were taking?

"Now I’m really ambitious and despite feeling this way I just kept pushing through, I ended up moving cities, switching my life, was studying nonstop, doing music production, working, blah blah and I had a panic attack one day that seems to have relapsed me into the exact same hell that I endured when I smoked that pot."

- Were you still on the SSRI when this happened? How did you know you relapsed?

Also, I understand your pain very, very well. I want nothing but to regain my life; However, you should consider the fact that this is all a learning process; not all is lost. Whenever I get a panic attack or start to feel uneasy, I remind myself that in the present moment, I am safe and I'm not alone. I know atleast two other people that have gone through the same thing. One of them is now running his father's company. Keep in mind that he had it far worse than you and I; he was on ecstacy and weed at the same time and ixed it al with alcohol; needless to say within six months of treatment (Zoloft and CBT) he was back in school and back on his feet. I know it feels like hell - please don't give up hope. I will be visiting this site regularly to check up on your progress! Stay strong! xox

• Posted

Hey man any tips on this? I recently started having these changes last monday. And have you gotten any better?  Please reply soon thank you! 
  • Posted

To the OP,

Thanks for sharing your story. I have gone through a very similar ordeal, and I am glad to have come across your story. Here's mine (sorry for the length in advance):

Like you, I have only done a few times before (3) once when I was 16 and two other times in my college years. I had been living on my own for almost a year and was doing well, but not without hardships. No real anxiety/depression/etc before and even though some tough stuff had happened, I felt as though I delt with it in my head and moved on. I was on top of the world back in August of this year, best shape of my life, feeling great emotionally and mentally. This was despite an event where I fell for a scam and lost $2,500 - I processed what had happened and decided to move on.

Then, on October 18 - just last month - I decided to smoke weed just one more time. The way I rationalized it, it would be my "last time" before graduating off to my new life. A workmate of mine supplied it. There was a part of me that didn't want to smoke it, but I ignored it and forced myself to smoke the weed. And that's when the nightmare began. I smoked a joint but only smoked maybe 1/4 of it, but I took big puffs and held it in my lungs for way too long, plus the weed was very potent. It was way past my tolerance level and I started to have a massive panic attack. It got so bad at one point where I lost all feeling in my right arm and it felt that the artery running through my right shoulder and arms were on fire. There was a moment where I accepted that I was going to die, but was too much a coward to call 911 (I'm in the USA btw). 3 hours later it subsided and I got off the high, but it took 6hrs later for me to calm down enough to sleep. Next day, I felt shaken but thought I was getting better. But then I started to get bad physical symtops like my neck locking up, couldn't stay asleep and was sweating profusely. etc. Two night later the symptoms got so bad that I got scared and went to the ER. Got tested and everything looked clear except I had high thyroid activity. Went to my primary doc next day and got a blood test but said that I was perfectly normal even though I knew I wasn't.

Anyway, suffered from serious and near-constant anxiety for two weeks after the incident. On top of that, I got surgury for my wisdom teeth removal 1 week after the weed incident. I reached a breaking point early last week Monday (Nov. 3) where I called my dad and wept over the phone. It was the first time I ever had a chat with him like that. I think that I tried to lock the incident away in some part of my head, and that was the first time I ever cried in front of him (over the phone). Talking about the trauma of the incident helped immensly. I also talked to my brother over the phone. We had always been buddy-buddy, but never really close emotionally. First time for me to open up with him too, and my bro had issues with social anxiety and issues from bad decisions in his college years. That week, the near constant anxiety has stopped. Since then it's been replaced with depression that comes and goes, but I still feel very empty at times. Still have pretty bad insomnia (can stay asleep, have vivid dreams and wake up, but I no longer sweat and have severe dehydration during sleep). 1 month of insomnia and I'll admit that it's been driving me mad.

I did see a psychiatrist but said that I was dealing with it mentally that I don't any sort of anxiety disorder. I was given vistaril when I needed it and seroquil to sleep, but I only got side effects from seroquil so haven't taken it again. The doc said that I probabaly just need some good sleep for my body to reset, which I haven't gotten yet but I have a followup next week. But what I want to say ultimately is that I have had some time this past month to reflect on what has happened in the past, what has changed as a result of deciding to smoke weed this one last time, and how I want to get better again and put this behind me. I'm just as desparate as you to get my life back. I want it badly. Smoking this one last time seems to have ruined my life and there are times I've felt that I'll never get better. Granted, my issues seem more physical than mental/emotional than yours, but I'm just as scared and frustrated. And I'm the type that tends to over-analize and brood and think of the worst.

But talking to my dad, my loved ones has done me a lot of good. I feel much closer to them then I ever had before. I now understand how one innocent thought can destroy so many lives, not just your own. My dad won't tell me, but I know he's suffering in his own way knowing what I've been through. But now I know that I will come out a stronger person. For better or worse, I have "graduated from weed", but definitely not in a way that I ever could have dreamed - I will never smoke weed again and I have vowed to never go astray from my gut feeling and make hurtful decisions again. I'm only just starting to learn this, but dwelling on these crappy feelings will never do me good. It's good to reflect on life so far and I'm glad I have, but you gotta move forward - me included. Even though the insomnia is really starting to get to me and is not letting up, I'm looking at the positives. Finally got off some powerful antibotics so I'm hoping that this will give my immune system half a chance to help fix my body. My neck is still popping every time I turn my neck, but just gotta ignore it and hope it goes away with time - I'm going to start stretching more and do yoga which I never did before just cardio and bodybuilding/strength. A lot has changed, and while I still think about "what if I can never get back to normal? What if my body will never return to it's normal state again to where I can be physically active again?" I was completely healthy before all this, but now I sometimes can't help but think I have some ridiculous physical defect or disease.  It will take time to heal. I don't know long it will take me, but I won't give up either.  It's not "if" I get better, but when I get better, I will be a stronger person as a result, to the point where I never have to go through these crappy feelings ever again.

All the best with your recovery man. Rooting and praying for you, so do the same for me. We aren't alone anymore.

• Posted

Hi I am going tru the same at the moment it's been 3 months I feel like I have lost my old self. I used to smoke weed on and off but then I didn't smoke weed for about an year then on day my friend asked me to smoke so I did 1st day I was fine then 2nd day I was also fine but then the 3rd day I smoked abit more than what i was smoking for past two days I got a really bad panic attack and I thought I was going to die at first I didn't it was panic attack bcoz I never heard about it but the I read about it anyway the next when I woke up I was still feeling high dizzy light headed I was just constantly thinking about the incident happened with me and I wasn't feeling normal and now its been 3 months I am still the same I never felt normal since that day, my symptoms are, constant chest pain, dizziness , light headed , tingling sensation in my body specially my hands and feets I have done all the test and everything came out normal I went to the phsycatrist he prescribe me seroxat cr ( paroxtine ) I took it for 2 weeks then I stopped taking it bcoz that tablet was making too much numb I just want to know is there anyother way I can deal with this thing I desperately want to get better I have missed my semester bcoz of this plz help sad
    • Posted

It will get better even though it feels like it won't..it will I've been there..i got better gradually but I got a lot better..my therapist says after lapses of being ok and not ok eventually they will get fewer and fewer ..for a while there maybe longer periods of bad will happen fallowed by longer good ones..but it will get so much better ..I was done with life..but now I love it again 
    • Posted

i smoked once and had the same experience. Read my other comments below I think it wil help  smile
    • Posted

Hi all, just wanted to provide an update on my condition.

I can proudly say that mentally, my depression and shock from the incident has pretty much subsided, not 100% but pretty darn close. I was on Prozac for a little while. While I can't say for sure that it helped or not, it's true that shortly after taking it that I have regained my "old self." I am no longer taking any psychiatric medicine either (I was also taking trazadone for sleeping but no longer need it). As an aside, my psychiatrist was convinced that I was in denial and that I have been depressed my whole life, so I made the concious decision to quit the medicine and stop seeing her (doctors have to make a living, too) because I thought the relationship over time became very toxic for me.

Just as every person is different, the way that I have "healed" from the effects of smoking weed is different (from the people posting before me and for those of you who have more recently joined this discussion). In my case, perhaps the prozac helped me in some way, but once I felt I got to a certain place I felt that I can fight the rest of this on my own power. My advice for you all is that if you feel you need to or have nowhere else to turn, go visit a doctor and get trust what they have to say. From there, the rest of up to you to follow the orders or to make your own judgements (I took an "extreme" decision in a short period of time, but it worked).

More than anything, what helped me through this ordeal was talking to the ones I cared about most. Before all of this, I have never cried in front of my mum and dad, much less open up my soul to anyone (since I'm a very private and independent person). But, they were there for me. For a long time, I never told my mom about my ordeal, either. But not telling her was killing me on the inside, and when I did tell her I was a mess of tears and snot, but over a period of several days I think it really made a difference. Obviously, don't tell just anyone; just the ones you care about the most. If there's a reason you fear telling someone about your own incident, ignore that fear and tell that if they are important to you. Keeping it inside will only make it worse.

The other thing is just give it time. It seems as though my period of suffering has been shorter than some of you other folks (e.g. a year or more), but it doesn't mean that my suffering has/had been any less at any point in time. There were points where I would look in the mirror and couldn't recognize myself. It was like looking at a walking corpse. With all the avenues in which I sought help, on a day to day basis I didn't notice much change. But, there came a point where I felt that I had come a long way since one month prior, and then the next and the next.

What has lingered are some physical oddities and not so much the mental aspect. Stiff jaw muscles, kinks in my back and shoulders I never had before. My own personal opinion is that my personal weed incident (which I had written about previously) probably caused my body to go on adrenal overdrive and then caused my system to crash and burn. Example: when you get an adrenaline rush, the "rush" stays with you for several hours before getting back to normal. In my case, the weed incident caused my body to be on overdrive for a period of days, causing my "recovery" to be much longer. But these things I can deal with, and am already seeing a chiropractor/muscle tightness specialist to help me get back in to prime shape. Also, I am sleeping normally again (I learned that sleep deprevation is a form of cruel torture...and probably contributed to my previous depression).

Just as some other bits, I also ate good, nutritious foods (see some of the posts earlier in this thread), and gradually try to get active physically. I recommend taking it with the approach of "I want to get in the best shape of my life" and it might help conquer or at least lessen overruling depression. I say all this, but I also know that I had come to learn how it feels when the depression is just so bad that you can't and don't want to do anything. To that, I say that you should seek help, whether it's just friends, or your doctor, just try not to be alone. Being alone will make it worse and you will be stuck in small little world of just you and your suffering. That will never help you, and that should be unacceptable, but getting there to such that frame of mind will take time. We're all different, so it will vary, but until such a time though, please hang in there. None of us deserved to go through these ordeals, but you deserve to have your life back. Believe it.

• Posted

Hi I wanna know if you ever got back to normal life, a healthy worry free life. I have the same symptoms with you and just like you I have no trace of anxiety before I tried to messed with that subtance. Now I feel like my life is in danger all the time. I am having these weird symptoms and physical pain that I have never experienced ever before. I hope you got better because I so hope I'll get better as well sad
    • Posted

Hello there, how long did it take for you to get better? & what were you doing in the time to recover, I smoked it all the time & I was fine, the one night I smoked a joint & I hit me hard I freaked out, i really thought that was it.. I started shaking, my heart went through the roof, now it feels like my senses are just as aware like my eyes are closed😳 I didn't know what to do, that's been like 4 months & I can still feel the same, my doctors tell me it's anxiety, but I keep thinking it's more than that, I really want to move on with my life & get better but I just dont know what to do, please get back to me soon!
    • Posted

Thankyou so much for posting this, gives me some hope. I thought I was going crazy and have avoided telling anyone what I've been going through, but I feel like I should now.

It's a relief to hear that I'm not alone though. I've never purchased weed but have smoked "socially" for maybe 5 years (as in, once every few months with friends). This was all fine until I was out camping with friends, and began to "green out" for the first time just as e veryone went to bed. I didn't know what was going on, but felt like I was going to die. I was numb, tingling, heart was feeling like it was about to explode from my chest, and I was in a pitch black forest totally alone to top it all off. I paced in the dark panicking for 3 hours and it was hands down the worst experience of my life. When I woke up, I just felt a bit fuzzy, but this subsided within a few days. Then, out of the blue 2 weeks later, with that panich attack being the only one I've ever gotten, I started getting them  again, when I would just be sitting at my desk at work, doing nothing stressful (mind you, at about 1/4 the strength, and only lasting a few minutes). After a week they subsided, but the next week I started becoming overly concentrated on my own breathing and the feeling of not getting enough oxygen, but noticed that distracting myself helped and concluded it just must be mental. Those Subsided, but a week later (this week) I began mostly feeling tightness in my neck/lower jaw, which immediately triggers a fight-or-flight/suffocation response in my brain . Those have been getting worse and worse until today, where I've been feeling it almost the entire day, and they only go away if I 100% distract myself with something else. However, I tried to go see a comedy at the theater today to really distract myself, but ended up spending 40 minutes having on-and-off again panick attacks and wanted to just leave the theater and run laps around the block.

The only thing that has calmed me down today was seeing this random massive thread of people experiencing the exact same thing, convinging me that I'm not going crazy and definitely not alone. And moreso that they do being to fade.

I'm definitely going to cut out coffee, of which I'm used to drinking 4-5 cups a day at work, and staying up until 2 am/getting 4-5 hours of sleep.

Thanks for your post.

• Posted

Wow. This is so similar to my story. I smoked in July of last year. I couldn't focus at school or work. It's been a year and I still haven't improved. I'm used to it now but it still sucks because no one has any idea what I'm going through. I didn't think anyone else experienced the throat jaw thing. But it's hard to swallow and it just feels tight. When I do swallow my body thinks it's not breathing so it has a small panic attack. Can you give me your email or something so I can tak to someone who is similar to my experience
    • Posted

Hi I'm 15 I have felt what your feeling you need to get mental help going on drugs will make it worse smoking, drinking, etc it won't help you need to let your body do it's thing naturally keep your mind off death even when experiencing deja vu (if this happens to you too) but do get mental help get lots of sleep too it will help
    • Posted

I am currently experiencing a lot of what you described. Just curious to see how you are doing and what helped you. Thanks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.