Mars 777

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm sure I suffer with Diverticula, I get bouts of using the Loo often, I have been like this for many years now. I have had investigations & was told I have mild Diverticula. Does anyone take any medication for this? I get the nausea & light headedness, I also feel very week when I get a bout of this & generally feel unwell.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I also had these symptoms on & off for many years, IBS was mentioned at one time but nothing pursued. I went into hospital 3 weeks ago and was told I had diverticular disease after having a bout of diverticulitus (infected diverticular apparently). I had a Ct scan & X-ray which confirmed it, I was given antibiotics metronidazole and cipro  to clear infection. I still have nausea & light headedness, think they only give medication  when they get infected? You may need to speak to your GP, I'm still trying to manage diet to get on top of it, not going too well at the moment, can't seem to find the right balance but hey ho I don't give up easily 😀 Good luck

• Posted

Thanks kaz. I am having a MRI scan this Thursday, also I was given COLOFAC tabs @ intervals for IBS? but never sure what I have really ? But I need to look into diet perhaps.confused
    • Posted

Good luck let us know how you get on. I'm still learning about DD at the moment,still having various symptoms but generally feeling unwell, back in work now though.  On a health & wellbeing mission at the mo to get back on form 😃 

• Posted

I will let you know how it goes, its that unwell feeling it's not good, good luck with your mission will keep in touch confused

• Posted

Hi kaz , MRI scan done today all went well. Just have to wait for results now! Iwill let you know when I get them smile
    • Posted

Hi Mars, glad all went well , how long before you are given the results? At least when you know what's going on you can move forward 🙂

• Posted

Hi Kaz, it takes 3 - 7 days for results? As soon as I have them will let you know. Take care speak soon confused
    • Posted

Hi Mars, did you have your results after? 
    • Posted

Hi kaz , yes took over a month all fine, No systematic symptoms. I have an appointment with my consultant next month just after Xmas. This will give me chance to ask him questions I have, be good to see what he says ? Hope your well x
  • Posted

I would say if it's mild learn as much about managing it yourself with diet etc as you can.  The only medication you'll get is antibiotics (see Kaz'z reply) if you get infected in there, or maybe Fibrogel-type stuff to keep things moving.

The Fibrogel will just get your bowel hooked until it refuses to move things along without it.  Antibiotics are never a good idea as they kill off all your good gut flora as well as the bad stuff.  Also, the ones they give you, Cipro especially, are very strong and can cause permanent damage to your body.  (Check out the Cipro/fluoroquinolone discussions on this site for more details).  If you do unfortunately get so bad you have to have some please bear this in mind. 

Meanwhile, do what you can eating and lifestyle-wise to help you get through this without needing meds.  Again, look through the discussions here and search the net for tips on eating, de-stresing etc.  Good Luck.

• Posted

Hi Miriam I'm also new to this, recently admitted to hospital, severe inflammation & infection to bowel. Medication was awful however did get rid of pain. This site has helped me understand more about DD, still trying to find balance with diet. I tend to have a drop in temperature and become really cold after a bm is this part of symptoms?

• Posted

Hi Miriam, thanks for info, yes will look into eating & lifestyle, as I said to kaz I have an MRI scan Thursday so hopefully show some light on things? I have had a colonoscopy & sigmoidoscopy in the past which showed up mild diverticular, my bouts can last for up to two weeks not nice x

• Posted

Hello, I too have D.D, and as you rightly suggest, there is no medication on offer. However I have taken a 

capsule probiotic for the past 2/3 years, which puts good bacteria into your infected area.  I had a CT scan ,for another part of my body. which showed up a perforation. met  the surgeon from the colorectal  team ,who told me that it had self healed. (Thank goodness)  I did ask him about FOOD,  do's and dont's. he said that nothing made any difference ,and to eat normally, which I do, but small meals, and I make sure that my bowels do their job,daily. 

Stressing about it, is futile ,it's there for life,  

• Posted

Hi, has the capsule helped with your symptoms? I have asked about food & was told to eat what I liked, but if anything triggered a bout of it then to leave off those foods, Thing is I tend to keep away from spicey foods as was told to when I was first diagnosed I had mild diverticular that these foods would trigger it ,I honestly think that stress has a lot to do with it myself? Thing is with me I never have any trouble with my bowels working its always ok. no constipation @ all .. it is there for life  I agree.

• Posted

Hello .I did tell the surgeon that I was taking the probiotic and asked what he thought, he said it couldn't

do any harm. My bowels are well organised, and always have been. I make my own curries, quite spicy, .I went through the Fright Mode, in the beginning, eating mushy tasteless food ,as the diet sheet said. Don't eat was as long as the M 1 ,and can eat was a garden path, I think that the brain goes into stress mode about food, and I tended to look at stuff I enjoyed ,and fear put me into No-No. can't. It's more important to get rid of what goes in, and not give it a  chance of getting into a pouch. If I do get the odd twinge, I give it a rub,and tell it to "sod off"   Don't let it rule your life.     

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline. I have had my MRI scan results, there is no systematic symptoms going on, I am going to see my consultant next Month after Xmas. This is to ask any questions I have. He gave me this opertunity so I thought yes, as my Drs doesn't know enough about Divertiular? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.