Marsupilization experiences

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, just wondered if anyone who has had this procedure could tell me how the recovery was?

Had it worked? How big was the hole that is left? How long after before you were able to drive? How was the pain afterward?

It's looking like I need to have this done as nothing is shifting my cyst and it's getting so big and uncomfortable now that it needs doing!

And experience stories would be great!

Many thanks

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had mine done 6 weeks ago and the healing process isn't was good. It was a little uncomfortable the first few days but not painful. You can't even see the hole/incision they make. It's under the skin. I've been to my doctor with fears that it would come back, he told me that if the procedure is done by a gyno who knows how to properly do it, there should be no reoccurences, as this is the only real way to get rid of them.

I took a week off work to heal, and didn't drive for about a week. Only because I just stayed at home and my mum drove me places if I needed to go anyway.

They use disolvable stitches that should stay in there for a couple of months as everything heals, and they'll break down on their own.

Good luck. Everything will be fine.

• Posted

Hi Sarah, thanks for your reply, I'm not too sure what you mean when you say the invision / hole is under the skin? I thought you would be able to see the hole when looking?

Where in the world are you if you don't mind me asking? I'm in the in, and would you have been able to drive earlier if you needed too do you think? Did it swell and bleed a lot after? Did you have it done under general anaesthetic?

Sorry for all the questions! Thanks!!

Debbie

• Posted

By under the skin I mean you have to lift the flap of your vagina to the side near the hole of your vagina to actually see the incision. It's noticeable unless you are actually spreading your legs and you use your fingers to move the flap of skin over a little (if that makes sense) .. It's not disfiguring & your husband/boyfriend won't be grossed out. I had sex with my boyfriend for the first time after the surgery at 4 weeks post OP and for him it didn't feel any differently.

I'm in Australia. I could have driven earlier if I needed/wanted to. Sitting was perfectly fine for me, long periods became a little sore but otherwise I could sit. I bleed a lot right after the surgery, I went to the bathroom when I was back at the ward and I was bleeding heaps, after that initial time I had no more bleeding. I had it under general. So I was a little groggy for a bit. I had my surgery at 7am, was back in the ward by 9:30am from recovery & my boyfriend was able to take me home at 1pm after I had lunch just to make sure I could keep food down as I was feeling sick and threw up from the general (I think it was the taste in my mouth). I also was put on a final bag of antibiotics by IV.

• Posted

Yes I understand what you mean now :o) thank you! How big is the hole would you say? Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks for replying it really helps!

Xx

• Posted

It's okay. There is enough on the Internet about this procedure or the cyst itself so it's good to hear from people who have been through the same.

It's not necessarily a 'hole' it's an incision about 3 fingers long.. It's not big at all which is good and even better that it's not disfiguring (not that I think that area is that pretty to begin with.. Haha, good that it doesn't get uglier)

• Posted

They stitch it to stay open though don't they so that it crates a new drainage hole?

It is really good to hear actual experiences! Xx

• Posted

They slit the cyst, and flip it so it's inside out and make a pouch out of the cyst walls how I understood from my doctors explanation of the procedure. The incision made will probably stay open as it is, so it can drain out properly so the 'pouch' doesn't clog up.
    • Posted

I see, sounds horrible! lol not looking forward to it at all! Did u find anything helped to relieve it after the surgery! Witch Hazel, tea tree etc? xx
    • Posted

I just had sea salt hot baths. I haven't ever heard of witch hazel.. You can try it and see what it does for you. I stopped taking pain killers two days after my surgery as they were no longer needed & id sit in a hot bath with salt. When I went back to work, in the afternoons when I arrived home, the first thing I would do, was sit in a salt bath to clean the wound. Helped with swelling aswell.
    • Posted

Thats great, thank you so much! How big was your cyst if you don't mind me asking? I saw gp yesterday and she said mine is the size of a medium egg xx
    • Posted

This time round, it got to the size of 3cms.. So a size of a grape, they caught this one very early thank goodness. My previous ones had grown to the size of a golf ball. I regret never going and having surgery done years ago when I was having it regularly. But can't do anything about it now, I've had it done now so that's all I can be thankful for.

Ouch. That does sound quite large and I'm sure it's not comfortable. When is your surgery?

• Posted

I'm waiting to see the consultant so won't be for a while yet, I was due to have it done last year but when I got to surgery they decided it was too small to do anything with so left it! It's never hurt or bothered me until a few weeks ago when it got bigger and quite sore so I've got antibiotics at the mo incase of infection and waiting for my appointment with consultant to come through, this is the only one I've had and it's been there for a few years! Must have been very upsetting to have them keep coming up! xx
    • Posted

Are you able to walk into the ED at your hospital and go through for surgery that way? That's how I got in for surgery, I had seen my GP because I was in so much pain, I was crying in her doctors room so she gave me a letter to take to the ED but she didn't think they would do anything.. Within an hour of being taken back to the treatment area of the ED, I had an IV in and a gyno surgeon had come down, examined me and i was admitted for surgery. I was taken in to have surgery at 7 am the next morning because they had emergency c - sections come up so I got pushed back.
    • Posted

I don't think so unfortunately :o( I think if it abscessed I would be admitted but as it's just large and very uncomfortable I have to wait :o(
    • Posted

Oh that sucks. Hopefully your consultation isn't too far off. Living with an infected one is bad enough but living with one that just never goes away would be just as annoying and draining.
    • Posted

Hopefully not, although last year I had to wait 7 weeks to see the consultant and then another 8 weeks for a surgery day :o( it didn't hurt or bother am at all then though so in hoping I may see him quicker this time. Feeling quite down about it today :o( going out with friends this evening to a restaurant and really don't think I'm going to be able to sit on a hard chair for very long :o(
    • Posted

It's just a temporary solution but I've found wearing a tampon helpful when I have a cyst. Seems to move it forward and make it much less painful. But that could be helpful since you have to wait around so long.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.