Massive alcohol withdrawals but didnt happen last time?

Posted , 7 users are following.

A year ago I quit because I was taken to jail...I had been drinking daily for 2 years.  When I was in jail I had no withdrawals except some cold sweats.  But 5 weeks ago I was released and resumed my drinking...it seemed my tolerance never changed since last time...I quit the other day and on the same night, I started experiencing massive alcohol withdrawals(I think).  I have everything on the list right now...but the one thats getting to me the most is the suicidal thoughts(i actually tried!)  Ive never had those thoughts ever, even though I have anxiety and depression sometimes...im wondering if im getting withdrawals this time because of the so-called "kindling" effect? meaning once you quit and start and then quit, the withdrawals are worse...im really afraid of these sudden feelings of hopelessness and suicide...does anyone think this is delirium tremens? (the most advanced stage of withdrawal)

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Ya bduby22

Very worried about your situation! you obviously done some research into nurology and have read about "kindling"? This shows a high degree of intelligence on your part, so can i ask you a favour and research Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome. Unlike kindling it is not a theory but a biological fact. However where the hightened anxiety,tremens even seizures can be explained logically and biologically by Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome your scuicidle attempt cannot. This would suggest an underlying psychological problem which i urge you to speek to your doctor about. The brain and the mind are two very different entities.

I wish you all the best for the future

Allan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.