Massive broken ankle

Posted , 9 users are following.

September 12 2015 I was walking in my kitchen and told my wife something was wrong as I was falling to the floor. She thought I was having a heart attack. She noticed my left foot was pointed in the wrong direction. Anyway I broke all three bones in my ankle. I have a 8" plates on each side of my legs.surgeon said it was the worst ankle break he had ever seen. Terrible pain. I have no idea how this happened I was just walking. Surgeon does not believe that is what happened he said no way I could have that much damage by just falling down. Anyone have tan idea what happened to me.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I broke my ankle about six months ago, you can take all the meds you like, but time is the healer. My ankle still hurt, but it is nowhere near in pain to six months ago. It is almost no pain. But as each day pass it gets better. Make sure you take bone vitamins. Patience will nurse you on time. Sorry that you had to experience this. And understand that you must love your accident, accept it. If you repel it, and let the break control you, then it wins. Fall in love with it. Heal it mentally first. Keep it lifted above your heart on pillows for swelling. Ice is great for swelling too. I do not have pins and a plate, but I can understand what you are going through.
  • Posted

People think that it takes about 8 to 12 weeks for a broken bone to heal, I believe that it takes about a year.........if not even more.
  • Posted

I had a similar exchange.  Fell taking trash out and received a pilon fracture.  Turns out that I forgot or blocked out that the trash bin fell on my ankle after I fell.   Could something have fallen on you? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.