massive mucas & saliva build up

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, Had my first band fill two weeks ago not sure how much fill i had as they didnt tell me, i can still eat quite a lot if i choose the right foods. last week i had my first sicky moment i put this down to eating to fast and not enough chewing but it stopped me in my tracks after just a few bites i threw the lot in the bin. but i was still left feeling hungrey so had a bag of crisp instead at least i know i can tolorate bad foods but i was desparate and hungrey and needed a quick fix lol. Then  a few days later i ate a tiny bit of food the next thing i was in pain like the food was stuck like i swallowed a massive lump of meat that wouldent go down very painfull i began bringing up lots of froffy stringey mucus saliva i was acctually blowing massive bubbles but it felt good and the pain of food being stuck went away. How weird and bizzar. i was in robbins hoods bay today and my partner bought us both a fish t cack so i sat my self down and took tiny small bites after a few bites i got that food stuck feeling again that immediately stopped me in my tracks again i was rather angrey at this point i was starving and wanted this fish buttie but it wasent happening and found me giving it to my partner who i may add quickly grabbed it off me as it did cost £5. i was in pain again and just wanted to wrench up but all that came up was loads of mucas and soliva. if any body has visited robbin hoods bay you will know it is busy with people popping out of every nook & cranny you have no peace and all i wanted was 5 mins to wrench my guts up in piece. NOT HAPPENING. good job i have 2 dogs in tow as i ended up using there doggie bags to puke in i got to the point i wasnt botherd if people saw me i deeded to be sick and this went on for a good hour. please tell me this is normal behaviour and is there any way to over come this most embarrassing time ever. Thank you jackie

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jackie

Yes this is normal I had it last week for the first time. It is caused by food backing up in your eusophagus from eating to fast or to large bites..

I find eating to fast does it to me. The really slimey saliva is your bodies mechanism to dislodge whatever is bothering you in your gullet.

Bread, fried foods are apparently the biggest culprits and mine involved bread so must be some truth in it..

Its a learning curve good luck moving forward

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply glad to heare im not alone and YES WHAT A LEARNING CURVE omg not nice at all especially when you have no privacy it makes it worce. and pluss you are hungrey before the band i could have eaten 2 of those butties to reach the sides not joking.i had  3 wheatabix for reakfast went down no problem it certainly a massive learning curve. some how dont think this is going to be the end but i will post and let you know. Thank you jackie
  • Posted

Yes I have experienced this also and was a weird feeling. The saliva etc is normal, natural lubricant for the body when chocking or a blockage happening. Helps food to make its way back up.

Fatty foods clump together so cause a blockage and bread is a big no no. Same as some carbs as they stick together in a mass and cause a blockage.

After bringing something back up its normal to struggle to eat again as it sometimes causes the tissues to be inflamed and slightly swollen. So a liquid diet is best to have for a day or so afterward then give it another shot.

Eating alot or more than advised can cause the tummy to stretch so you will not get the best out of the full procedure.

• Posted

You need to follow 20 20 20 rule, chew 20x, 20 sevond rest and stop eating after 20 mins.

Your bite sizes should be no greater than a 20p piece.

I cant tolerate bread, pizzas or chips so you just need to learn what you can eat.

Its a learning curve everyone with a band goes through. oxo

• Posted

HIYa - the first band fill is usually eagerly awaited but in most cases it does not make a big deal of difference and it takes several small fils over a period of time to build up to that ultimate level of restriction - but whilst you are getting  to that 'sweet spot' as it is often called  you can practice healthy eating habits and as you are finding the bad does not like dry foods but a bag of crisps you can grind to dust and it goes down easily but unfortunately the crisps are a waste of callories and you would be better having something that will satisfy your hunger for longer - you dont want dry food as tht will get stuck but you dont want liquid either as that will go straight through - you need something in the middle so next time you are out and can smell the fish and chips have a fishcake - that is just about the right texture- even if you only eat the middle - then that way you are eating something that is relatively filling - as you are finding you really need to chew your food well - soft meats done in a casserole are best rather than roasts, chops, steak etc as it is too fibrousy and not very band friendly - the frothy saliva is very typical i have to say - and once you have had such an episode the area may be agravated by further eating so try to stick to something like soup  for the next meal  rther than risk something else getting stuck and making the area even more irritated and poss even swolen.  Bread is something i cannot manage at all as it is too claggy and just sticks solid - rice and pasta can be difficult too cos they can cont to swell and also get stuck - you will learn with practice which are your danger foods and avoid them at all costs.   Though it is fair to say that these could change after each band fill as your restriction becomes greater and some foods that were previously ok before a fill can also become no no's.  Like it has already been said, it certainly is a learning curve - foods that are good for me are sheps pie, fish pie, bolognese withou t the pasta, chilli but no rice, scampi, fish fingers, smooth soups, baby bell cheese, baked beans/sausages, corned beef, fish cakes, cheesy mash, tuna mixed with some mayo, yog, banana, crispbreads, cream cheese, cottage cheese, oats so simple, mash pots,  - good luck and hope next time you PB it is at least in the privacy of your home or a public loo at least

• Posted

Hi Thank you all for your comments its nice to hear you have also experience this not so nice side effect if this embarrasing episode as tought me anything is to think twice while im out & about in public to ignore the inviting aromas of fish shops and other tempting foods on offer. ps doggy bags a must in pocket Thank you all jackie

• Posted

Hi Jackie, you are defo not the only one. I once had to make my husband pull over the car in the middle of a busy high street so that I could open the door and puke, and it was the same consistently as you described! Any way, you will get to know what foods you can and can't have and how you have to eat them in order to keep them down. I'm still learning now X X

• Posted

i hope it does not stop you from enjoying your trips out and in time you will learn what you can and cannot eat with ease - good luck
  • Posted

Hi Jackie, I got my band in Feb and am slowly getting where I need to be. I can't drink at least 20 mins before or after eating something as I get the pain and saliva. It has been so much more difficult than I imagined. I thought that with a band I could eat the same as everyone else just smaller portions ! How wrong was I , food used to be my comfort , now I look at food like it's got razor blades in it. I can't eat meat unless it's mushy eg mince then it's a slider food and doesn't fill me up. I can't eat bread or potatoes unless it's mash ( slider again ). Some people say that fried food is a problem but if its crunchy I can eat it . A piece of cod from the chippy goes down great !. I'm really trying to eat more protein because my nails and hair have never been so crap. I bought some protein bars but it's not the same as a nice juicy steak!. I have lost 3.5 stone since Feb so can't complain , it's just not at all like I imagined it would be. I had .3 taken out of my band last week cos I had a cold and with extra mucus couldn't eat much and developed a cough. I was told if my band was too tight that could make me cough so had a bit taken out. Can eat better but still got my cough! .Try to steer clean of junk food I can eat crisps , biscuits and the like no problem and when you're hungry it's hard not to give in to temptation. Hope you get on okay , We Will Be Thin !

• Posted

yes eating and drinking together is one of the big NO No's with a band infact some providers specify waiting an hour after eating before having a drink cos otherwise it washed the food straight through and generally it is advised not to eat half an hr following a drink of any  kind so if you are getting away with 20 mins either side you are doing well however you might get better results if you did stretch it to 30 mins  if you could. Lots of people think wgt loss surgery is the easy way out and it most def is not - its just a tool to work with to aid wgt loss and does not do the work for you - it can be abused and cheated but then you are just cheating yourself really - i would say mince and mash is ok as long s it isnt too sloppy - salmon is probs the easiest of the fish cos it is softer and if its in a nice sauce of some description that helps too - sounds like you are doing well though so keep up the good work 

• Posted

Hi Happycat. yes i was in the dark aswell thinking i could eat what ever but smaller portions if only it was that simple. nobody told me the bad side effects apart from if i over indulged and not chewed my food i would be sick. i wasent told about the pain of food getting stuck or how to deal with it nobody mentiond bringing up huge amounts of saliva and blowing the biggest bubbles iv ever blown lol that i did find funny i bet everyone on this forum has had an a few funny embarasing stories to tell im now laughing about yesterday at robbin hoods bay i must have looked a right site i wouldent mind i was still at the botton of that steep hill when it happend the thought of getting to the top just added to my pain with my dog dragging me in every direction and pulling me my partner said my face was white as i was walking i could feel me wanting to be sick god knows what people thought watching me with a dog bag around my mouth i couldent have been in a worst place. so i can laugh now but omg i wouldent go through that again. well it probably will as some point. as anybody else had some stories to tell ? you all must have. spit it out. jackie
  • Posted

i think sometimes it is good to join either a forum or support group for reseach into such things and talk to the people actually living with these surgeries cos they are the ones who will give you a 'warts n all' account of what to expect - obviously we are all diff and its not exactly the same for everyone but it does give you an idea of what to expect and of course its not too late to join any such organisations where you can share info, tips and advice - sometimes the hosps doing these ops have their own groups or  you could join somewhere like WLSinfo which has support groups and a forum - its just as well we can laugh at our own mishaps though and your story from Robin Hood;s Bay is one which i dont think you will forget in a hurry -t ake care

• Posted

Just happened to me again! Got caught up in conversation and swallowed a large piece of steak. I now know the true meaning of STUCK. That was horrendous. Forget the sliming etc this was proper painful. After and hour of trying everything to get it out had to resort to sticking my head down the toilet and even then I couldn't get it out! Took 10 mins of fingers down throat to dislodge it. Worried now that I may have damaged the band.

• Posted

I've found it the easiest meat up until today. Have struggled with chicken and salmon. Today I had rump for the first time I think it was to tough and didn't chew properly either. Entirely my fault but that was really bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.