Mattresses for arthritis sufferers

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello, Can anyone advise on best type of mattress for arthritis, fibromyalgia etc.  In the past orthopaedic seemed the way to go, but my mattress although not ortho is too hard and uncomfortable.  I have been told about pillow top.  We are pensioners so cannot afford top prices.

Thanks.

2 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have a spinal problem and used to have an orthopaedic mattress.  But I now realise that I need a firm base to the mattress with a slightly softer topping and have found that my Dunlopillo Latex mattress is just right
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.  Never considered latex will look into them.

All the best Carol

• Posted

Hi Libralady

I used to have a board under my mattress but that eventually was too hard as illness increased

I have OA in hips, lower spine neck and ankle, also kyphoscoliosis and and osteoporosis.  I like my memory foam mattress. If you cant get one of those you can get memory foam toppers.

I have a memory foam topper for the caravan.

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen, I have OA in both knees neck and spine as well.  I once tried some memory foam pillows but they were so hard could not use .

I have heard also that memory foam makes you sweat, which is something I don't need.  Do they start off hard until you get used to the them?  Which make mattress did you buy?  It is hard going, at the

moment as when I start to walk the pain down my knees and legs is awful.  Have been looking on line but there are so many to choose from.  I am waiting for an appointment back to see consultant about knees, it is taking ages despite chasing it up.  I do appreciate you replying.  Best Wishes Carol

• Posted

Hi Carol,

Thmemory foam pillows are dreadful....or at least the ones I tried were.....like a brick!!!!! I couldnt use it.

As for the mattress.....I got  new bed so it came with that. I had heard about the sweating but have had no problems

Why dont you try a nice thick duvet underneath you?

Thats what I used before getting the new bed

Good  Luck

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi,we have chosen a no pressure points tube water bed. .it is designed to fill the 6" width water tubes with water for a custom fit. It has 25or more long tubes 6" wide and the length of the bed. I don't feel any movements as a regular mattress, or the old single mattress water bed. It's absolutey in my comfort zone and no stress points. See tube mattress on line. It's the most comfortable mattress. If UR side is too hard remove some water for adjustment. And vice versa to soft. It's a soft sides water bed and looks like a regular pillow top mattress.looking at it u wouldn't know its a water bed. The mattress unzips for easy access to the water tubes for adjustment.

My side is harder than my partner. His is softer. Never effects us as far as the comfort level.we barely feel movement . It's really a good match for us.

It takes regular deep pocket fitted sheets and easy off easy on..

• Posted

Morning Carol

How's things with the mattress or lack of it wink

Have you tried anything yet?

We kept changing things every 2nd or 3rd night to try and get it right.....not buying mattress's of course......duvets underneath

I still take a duvet away with me when on holiday or a strange bed {for underneath } not as good as the new bed but a lot better than the old mattress...hope you find something soon

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hello Eileen

Have not got round to trying anything yet as have not been well last few days with my asthma reflux and oral thrush has started off again.  I will get round to it and appreciate your help.  You might be right about the duvet underneath. A couple of times not being able to get comfortable during the night I have layed on the duvet and found it a bit more comfortable.  Take care  All the best Carol

• Posted

Hi Carol

I found the duvet worked well for me and was transportable  LOL

That was when we couldnt afford an expensive mattress....we are pensioners as wellbiggrin

Then whenI got a new bed......the one I was using was absolutely ancient it had a good mattress with it.

So Good Luck

Take care and rest {asthma etc}

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Carol

How are you now.....you wern't feeling very well a while back.

Have you experimented with anything for the mattress?

Is it still as bad? Do you still need a new one or something in its place?

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen,  Still having trouble with reflux/asthma/thrush thing.  Have been to Gp and she gave mesome spray don't think it is doing much to help.  I was sure that I had thrush again, but she said no.  I have read a lot of the threads on reflux etc and people seem to suffer for year without really getting a lot of help.  I still think it stems back from first taking the amlodipine for blood pressure started summer 2007 

this started end of September.  At the time did not connect anything with blood presure tablets.  It did clear up and was at a manageable level but never cleared up completely.  Now it is back.  It is the almost

constant problem of trying to clear throat and bring up mucus.  Makes my throat already sore worse.  I have gone back to salt water nasl spray as it helped before.  Anyway you asked about the mattress,

we could not decide whether to buy a new mattress as we may move up nearer to daughter and would like to buy a new bed then.  I found 4" thick mattress topper on Ebay ( seconds but looks ok to me). for £43.  It had a  lot of good reviews so bought one.  Last night was the first night.  It seemed much softer but did not sleep too well worrying about the throat and nose problem.  Time will tell but seems like a good buy.  The pain from my knees has improved a lot.

I have been able to go out for short periods as long as I sit down if I feel it coming on.  Just using paracetamol morning and evening and pernaton as required.  Having my hair done this morning will cheer me up.  I have an appoinment to see consultant 25th of this month. See what they say.  Dont think they will say it is bad enough for TKR and reading what I have about the pain afterward etc, I don't relish it. Whether they will suggest an arthroscopy I don't know.  This is a different consultant this time the other one said was not sure it would help anyway.  Hope you are ok and not in too much pain and still getting out and about.  We looked after my grandson last Thursday I had him bring all his toys onto the sofa so I could play with him. I have been out to lunch with friends and did a small shop in supermarket.  

Thought I was getting on well then this throat thing.  Always something never mind.  You take care and thanks for your support and advice.

Carolx

• Posted

Hi Carol

I'm sorry to hear you are suffering with so many other things as well as arthritis.

I hope the mattress works.....I'm sure it will take a few days to get used to the change.

I bet you feel better after having your hair done.

It really lifts you doesnt it. I had mine done yesterdaybiggrin

Your grandson is going to get used to you not bending and him having to come to you.....like bringing his toys onto the  sofa.

We went to Scotland today.....We knew we would stop at the borders for coffee and cakewink At the large Edinburgh Woollen mills and Jedburgh  Mills and 2 coffee shops.....we only went to one.LOL

After that we didnt know where we were going.....stopped at another 3 places and walked around.

We did quite a bit of walking....well it was for me..... on crutches....and I'm sore now.....will be sorer tomorrow probably but thats when I think.....well I enjoyed yesterday so its worth being sore and it will get better {well back to its normal pain LOL}

Take care

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen, Sounds like you had a good time in Scotland.  Hope you are not too sore today.  I spent most of the night unable to sleep because of this constant retching, and trying to bring up mucus.  Hoping I can get a couple of hours this afternoon.  As well as the spray the doctor gave me, I have been using my reliever inhaler, only normally need the preventative.

Tried to get a gp app, none of course.  I have one next monday already booked with my gp.  You know what it is like have to know in advance when you are going to be ill.  I book all my appoinments on line, waste of time calling, can never get through, and when you do all appoinments are gone and they tell you to call next 8am that's if you can get through.

I sometimes think it was better years ago, when you just turned and waited your turn, at least you could decide whether to wait or not. Yesterday throat started out bad but did get better so had hair done and then supermarket shop managed to get half way round then sat down and chatted to a lady and rejoined my husband at the check out.  Leg 

had started to hurt halfway round but improved as soon as I sat down.

I had a good day then last night it all went wrong sat downstairs from 1.30 till about 5.30 then fell asleep until about 6.30 then the mucus thing started again still have it now but not so bad.  Frightened to eat as it makes it worse after eating.  Had just 1 slice of toast.  I think it is definitely related to the reflux and has agravated my asthma which is normally quite mild.  I am sure I still have thrush might have to ask for a referral if this does not settle. Have a good weekend.  Sorry to go on.

Carolx

• Posted

Hi Carol,

I did have a good day in Scotland yesterday.,...very sore today. When it was arthritis soreness I could cope but since this stupid fracture when I'm sore I'm very sore.

Make a deal......you "go on" as much as you like as long as i can have a moan as well biggrin

My night wa dreadful as well......OK the night itself wasnt bad when I did get to sleep but when I woke up I could hardly move.....the hip bone was really sore and all across my lower back.

You sound as if you had a dreadful night.

The sooner you se the GP the better and you are right...ask for a referral.

I make my appoints on line and order my prescriptions on line. butyou are right......going and sitting in the surgery and waiting your turn was a much better idea.

What did you get done to your hair?

You got out to the supermarket....great wink OK you sat down and chatted half way through but so what. I go and have given up trying to help with the shopping. Look at magazines, cosmetics and bits and pieces and if I'm sore or tired before Peter is finished I sit down as well.

I cant imagine how you must feel.....just it must be awful to be scared to eat.

Well tonight I'm going to sleep on a different side {the unoperated one} although its never as comfortable. In the morning Peter makes a cup of tea, {in the bedroom} he takes his back to bed and I take mine to the computer and sit and answer a few posts, take painkillers and drink my tea and hope they kick in. Tomorrow I'm not going to sit as long at the computer.....going to get up but put electric blanket on.....have tea and painkillers and get back into bed and see if the heat helps.

Oh well.....we have to try all sorts

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen, Yes it's a deal we can both have a moan.

Hope you get a better nights sleep.  Good idea to go back to bed with electric blanket after all the walking you did.  Feeling a bit more comfortable tonight with my throat.  Trying everything the spray gp gave me, salt water spray for nose, both asthma inhalers and head over bowl with steam and obus oil.  Can't think of anything else.  Will see gp on Monday, still think I have a return of the oral thrush and my mouth has cold sores as well, but I have always suffered from them usually when I have a cold.  My husband is taking the  car for it's MOT tomorrow and Saturday he has his appointment at the ENT.  Hope they will find out what's causing the extra hearing loss, and then can have his new hearing aids.

Have a good weekend and take care.

Carolx

• Posted

Morning Carol

It looks like we are throwing everything at our illness to try and counteract it biggrin

I hope you had a much better night than the previous one

I put the blanket on last night for a while before getting in then had it on low while I read for a while. Forced myself to sleep on the unoperated side which I dont like.....Managed that until 4am then had to get up. Got back to bed, lay on the comfortable side then thought "dont be silly" so rolled over. I'm now up as you can see but after having taking my pain killers and finished this tea back to bed for about 15 min with the blanket still on.......do a few gentle stretches and see how I am. At the moment I'm sore but nothing like yesterday morning......it must have been the waklking that madeit so much worse.

You say your husband is taking the car for MOT ....do you drive?

I didnt realise he had hearing loss.......mine has tinnitus

Hope you waken up refreshed this morning

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Good morning Eileen, glad you had better night, and hope if you are back in bed even if you don't sleep, youc an relax and think happy thoughts. I do slept much better last night I am just about to take all my morning tablets and the throat regime.  It is still sore a bit one side and the mucus is still there but not so bad.

No I don't drive.  We only got a car when the childrens were grown up

mostly because we could not afford it and my husband was then an HGV

so was driver all day.  I remember humping all the shopping on buses

pushing a twin pram (my girls are twins, plus older son) when they went young also laden.  No wonder we end up with arthritis everywhere. When you are younr and fit you just take it in your stride with no thought of what happens when you are older.  

Yes my husband wears hearing aids as do his 2 brothers and his mum had tinnitus, so it's in his family.  At the last hearing test they found that the hearing in his left ear was much worse than the right and they think

he might have a blockage in the tube which runs from nose to ear.  That is why he has been waiting so long for this appointment tomorrow.  I do hope they can sort it out.  He swears it is something to do with when he was a teenager and he had some fluid in the ear and they could not get to the bottom of and told him to clean them everyday.  Normally they tell

you not to poke about in your ears.  

Whilst typing this I have drunk a glass of water to try and loosen up the

mucus and it seems to be work so will now take all my tablets etc and have a cuppa tea.  

Will let you know how it all goes.

Love Carol

• Posted

Hi Carol

Got into bed and lay for 15 mins relaxing.....that was enough. I end up with a headache if I stay in bed long.

Problem now is my right shoulder is sore and down the arm and back of hand. It could be arthritis and on that side all night or it could be crutches. I use 2 for a long distance but they are such a nuisance if I'm not going far I only use one and I think it is shoving that shoulder up. Think I might have to go back to 2 crutches???

Glad you are a bit better today lets hope it continues. The sun is shining here. Couldnt tell earlier when I posted....it was very misty (10.30) now

I didnt drive until my children were much older and like you I lugged them and buggy about, on and off buses etc. There was 16 months difference between them. Someteimes I thought twins would have been easier lOL If Sarah was 3 months Paul was 19 months....still a baby but I expected him to be grown up  LOL

If I turned my back for a min something was happening because he was that little bit older. I put her in a swing from the living room door {as I did with Paul} turned my back and looked round and he was pushing her....she could have banged into the sides of the doors  LOL

I was sterilisng her bottles when she was a baby but Paul was past that stage but still had a bottle occasionally, turned my back and looked around and he was feed her ...his cows milk from an untsterilised bottle LOL..........WHAT ARE YOU DOING???......Cry......Feed   LOL

I hope your husband does get an answer about his ears.....a positive one I mean

Hope the water helps you.

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen,  Hope your shoulder is better soon.  I have been doing family trees for many years now on Ancestry site.  I am doing one for my son in law at the moment. I find it interesting and relaxing.

Yes when you think back to when your children were young you cringe sometimes with what could have happened, although we can laugh now.

I remember when my twins were toddlers I went outside the front door for something Sally who was walking just came behind me and picked up the milk bottle and threw it down the path. I was holding Clare who was not walking and without thinking I stood her down and of course she just went on to her bottom. I ran after Sally who was laughing now but she fellow over where the glass was I think she had a tiny cut thats all.  It all happens so quickly.  My son who is diabetic (diagnosed at 2) was at school at the time.  I think you are probably right 2 children close in age are worse than twins. I must admit I don't remember much of the first 6 weeks all feeding and changing.  All those nappies to wash.  They would not do it now and mums are working so would not have the time.  Dustin my son was very good with them but I had to make time for him and then there was his injections and regular meals.  Oh well they all grew ok so we must have done alright.

Love Carol

• Posted

Hi Carol

It is laughable looking back isnt it but the things that could have happened.

Must have been harder for you having a son as well and diabetic.

Well I dont know about yours but mine are 33 and 34 now smile

I've often thought about doing a family tree butnever got round to it.

One other thing......I pickedup the phone about 11.15am an rang the consultans secretary and said that I would like an appointment before December as I was very sore. She was standing in for his secretary and said that she would leave a note for the secretary on Monday and see if she could fit me in earlier.

10 mins later a phone call......She said Mr Asaad walked into the room after I spoke to you and says he will see you at 6pm on Monday night if thats OK

How's that for servicebiggrin

I also rang the dentist {not my favourite person} GP is putting me on a tablet for osteoporosis and I have to have a complete dental check before I take any tablets

Thats me for now......Going out to the caravan....stored a few miles away. I think I left my TENS machine there when we were on holiday.

Then the chemist to pick up the meds {iron as well uggghhhh}

then a couple of things from Aldi and eventually Costa for coffee and cake mmmmmm!!!

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen,  Well that is good service.  You must just have called at the right time.  Hope they can help on Monday.  You mention osteoporosis.  I have osteopenia found out after they suggested a dexa scan when I broke my wrist in 2012.  Will have to have another in the next year or so. My gp just gave me Vit D3 as she said the osteporosis tablets might upset my IBS especially as they would be long term.  Calcium levels were fine but she said if the next dexa scan shows osteoporosis I will have to start them.  

My son is 42 and the girls 38 I had them at 24 and 28.  My son lives about an hour away as does one of my daughters.  The other moved 

up to Greater Manchester in 2010.  I think you said you were in the North East, my neighbour is from South Shields.  Hope you enjoy your coffee and cake once you have done your chores.  

Love Carol

• Posted

Hi Carol

Yes I was diagnosed with osteopinia about 3 years ago.

Then after this 2nd hip replacement {4 weeks post op} doing an exercise there was a crackkkkk!!!! my leg gave way so they whipped me into hospital. "You have fractured your greater trochanter bone, nothing we can do about it, it will heal itself but will take a long time".....7 months later still on crutches! The consultant there, the nurse and the physiotherapist all asked me at different times did i have osteoporosis? No but I have osteopinia so possibly by now I have osteoporosis. They said nothing else. Just asked if I had it. So I took things into my own hands when I got home, rang the GP asked when the last DEXA was and what did it say about follow up appointments {I wasnt on any medication for it} She said you are due to see her in December this year {this was Feb} so I'll get an appointment for you now. So....DEXA.....result.....osteoporosis.frown

Sorry where abouts did you say you lived.....I've forgotten.

My son is married with one little girl {nearly 11} and he lives in NORTH Shields.  Sarah isnt married and has a flat in Newcastle.

We got everything done, including a birthday card for Paul {9th Sept} but the family are going out for a meal....thats Paul, Anna and Grace and then Sarah and b/f Andy if he is at home.....he's a chef and self employed ....He's working in Yorkshire at the minute....a few daysw there and a few days at home. Not long ago he was in a hotel in The Lakes

aand of course Peter and I......we're the ones paying for it  LOL

I thoroughly enjoyed the coffee and cake.

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen, Heavens I hope mine does not go onto osteoporosis.  I must ask my gp when the next dexa scan is due, I think she said 3 to 5 years.

When I broke my wrist they kept asking if I had put my hand out to save myself.  It was a colles (wrong spelling) fracture which I think people 

with osteoporosis get.  I didn't though I was wearing a long cardigan

and I was holding it together as it was chilly, so my arm was across my

waist.  I fell on my left side with my hand underneath me.  Boy was it painful.  It's ok now just a bit misshapen.  They gave me lots of physio

but at the beginning I thought it would never get better, but it did.

We are in Greater London.  Have lived here all my life.  My son moved

away to Kent when he married because his wife comes from there

and was still there when they first met.  One daughter moved to 

Bedfordshire and the other although my first grandaugher was born here

they moved up to greater Manchester in 2010 and the 2nd one was born there.  I found it hard because I looked after my grandaughter from 5 months to about 18 months for two days a week.  It was tiring then 5 years ago, could not do it now. 

Have just had an email from our choir with details of the next song we will be doing.  We go back on 15th September rehearsals once a week.

Glad you enjoyed your coffee and cake.  You did not say when your meal was, is it this weekend?  If so enjoy yourself with your family.

Love Carolx

• Posted

Hi Carol

Mine was supposed to be 3 years between scans

That does sound a nasty break. Glad it has healed.

That will be nice......going back to the choir.....you did say you could sit down didnt you?

Yes......the meal is tomorrow night.

Just discovered that Sarahs boyfriend isnt coming.....he's back at work in York.

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Just to let you my husband had just come back from the hospital.  He saw the consultant who said there was no blockage, and it there was it has cleared itself.  He has to have new hearing aids a different type, so hear we go again waiting for the apppointment to come through. It has been going on since June, and although is it good to know there is nothing wrong, it does in a way seem like a waste of time in getting new hearing aids.  Oh well never mind.  Enjoy your meal.

Love Carol

• Posted

Hi Carol

Thanks for the update

It is good that there isn't much wrong but I know what you mean.

Hope he doesnt have to wait too long for his appointment

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen, Just wondered how things are with you.  Is there anything new they can do about your hip?

I have been to the orthopaedic clinic again saw a different consultant this time as mine was walking around with a stick, good advert.  This new one was very nice, but has said in addition to knees,spine and neck it is also in my hips although not too bad.  He said I need both knees replaced, but not to consider until I really cannot cope, as it is a very painful surgery and is not as successful and hips.  On the pain front I do seem to be managing better these days.  I take regular paracetamol and pernanton as you suggested.  It does take the edge of the pain and my husband uses it on his wrist when it play up.  Whilst my knees are painful it is the lower back thigh and outside of knee to foot which causes me most trouble.  Two years ago it was similar on the right leg that pretty well cleared up but now its the right one.  Sort of hoping it will go again.  At least I still manage to get out and about, but do pay for

it but I do try to pace myself.  I have also seen the ent consultant had a

throat scope everything fine no damage to vocal chords and singing again.  He just said I have rhinitis and gave me a spray. I have not used it as yet as it says to check with doctor if you have gaucoma or high pressures which I have.  I wish I had mentioned it to the ent man but you forget don't you.  It was my husbands birthday and I was thinking about taking him out to lunch so was glad to get out of the hospital.

I am going to try and ring the glaucoma clinic tomorrow for advice.

I am having laser treatment in May for eary glaucoma in left eye.

I have finished my sessions with the CBT councillor he was quite helpful.  My anxiety is much better but I still get odd moments when I panic a bit.  I have lost 1 stone which is great but seemed to have come to a standstill more to do with willpower I think.  My husband has had his hearing aids changed back to the old type.  He's still complaining though.  We have gone for turning the tv up so he could  hear to now turning it down because it is too loud.  I have 2 friends who both have husbands with hearing aids and we often when we go out to lunch joke about it, but seriously it must be horrible not to hear properly.  He still says I don't tell him things, but he used to say that 30 years ago, they just don't listen half the time do they.  We are off to see my daughter soon as it's grandaughters 7th birthday.  Looking forward to it but as usual a bit apprehensive about sleeping etc. 

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Love Carolx

• Posted

Hi Carol

Sorry this has taken so long to answer.......we were away with Arthritis Care for 5 days. We went to the Peak Ditrict....so I'm back and trying to catch up with things LOL  {9.20pm Thur}

No apparently there isnt anyting more they can do for my hipcry

I did get a cortisone injection in it....actually it was on the outside of my leg, the pain was in the pelvic bone {I think???} the bone that sticks out on your side, below your waist but above your hip....very technical. LOL The injection was much futher down my leg and I thought this wont work....but it did....for about 5 months, then I had an appointment to see the cosultant again. He gave me another one but gave it straight into that bone......it was useless!!!!!! No difference.

I had a weeks holiday, visiting my mam who is now 92. It was so hard to sleep in a strange bed. Home for a week and away with Arthrits Care.....same thing.....so sore in bed at night. I've got an appointmen.....t I think its the 18th of April so I will make sure he knows th 2nd one was uselesswink

I believe that the knee replacements are so much sorer and harder to recover from so I think he is right.....leave it as long as possible.

The thing about getting out and about.......I was always told to pace myself.....just do things for a short time then stop, rest and then start again.   The way I look at it is.....if I do too much house work I pay for it the next day.....I dont think thats worth it!!!

If I get out and have enjoyed myself.....well OK I might pay for it but I think its worth it  cheesygrin

Glad its nothing serious with your throat.....as for forgetting....I sit down and make a list of things I want to ask them , usually start making it and write down one or two things, then add to it as I think of any more.....otherwise I come out thinking....why didnt I ask that thingwink

You seem to be getting on well.

Hope you had a god tme at your daughters place and enjoyed seeing your grand daughter.

Well I better get on and try and catch up with a few more posts

Hope to hear from you soon

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen, Good to hear from you.  Sorry they can't do anything more for your hip.  Is there a chance it will eventally heal do you think?

I hope you enjoyed your time in the peak district. 

You are right about pacing yourself.  I am much better than I was but

sometimes if it is something you really want to do like being with grandchildren then sometime it is worth paying with pain afterwards but I try not to let it happen.  We had a great time celebrating in London at

the Bubba Gump restaurant for our grandsons 18th.  We went up on the underground and fortunately only a very short walk from the station although lots of stairs just took it slowly, but really did pay for it the next few days, but this was a special occasion which I did not want to miss.

We are going up to my daughters over Easter she has not been well so really want to see her and of course son in law and grandaughters.

Annoyed with gp surgery they have rejected one of my repeat presciptions.  When I phoned to ask why the receptionist did not know and said she would put it on again. Hope it does not happen again.

It is not the first time this has happened.  All the cuts I suppose.

Anyway take care

Will post again soon.

Love Carol

• Posted

Hi Carol

Sorry.....but I've been having problems with this site......Even now that I'm in its still a bit "iffy" so if I stop in the middle of it you know whycheesygrin

It keeps skipping letters only typing half a word.....not me this timecheesygrin

I dont think thre is any chance my hip will heal.....all I can hope for is that my muscles there get stronger and support me a bit better.

Pacing???? I'm still not good at it.....better at telling others abut it when I'm volunteering  LOL

I hope you enjoy your time with your daughter and family over Easter......where does she live compared to you? Far away?

The GP has rejected a repeat prescription? All of it? not just one item?

My last GP rejected my epilepsy meds one time......that is dangerous.

I've been fine for 34 years now but still take meds and am not sure what would happen if I missed themcry  I queried it and he said you were supposed to have them reviewed and you didnt come!!!! I think it might have said it on the prescription but the rceptionist could have rung me and said.  He didnt stop any others just those ones.....if he stopped pain killers that wouldnt be so bad but I rely on those to keep me driving etc.....cant walk far but I can still drive if I throw my crutches in the back....I would be lost without my car. If I had one tiny seizure I would lose my licence for 3 years!!!!!

Hope you go it sorted OK.

I'll try to post soon when this stupid site lets me in properly LOL

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen,  I know what you mean about this site it does seem a  bit hit and miss.  I need to get a new laptop as well. Mine is on his last legs. My son in law has just bought a chrome book and says it is very good so wil have a look at his over Easter.  We are going to my daughter in Greater Manchester, so 200 miles away.  I don't really like the long journey, we usually stop once but  I think with this pain in my knee and leg we might stop twice.  It is not as though we are in a rush. 

I have just looked on my GP's website and they receptionist promised me she would request the eye drops again.  Would you believe nothing

showing.  I will have to call them tomorrow morning.  Not much point in calling until after 9 as you can never get through just left on hold.  That is awful about your epilepsy medicine even if you have been fine for years they should not stop it without speaking to you.  Oh now this site is doing the samejust typing part of a word and jumping (maybe that's my computer).

I still just take paracetamol.  I could do with something  stronger but I've tried ibuprofen codeine etc and could not take the digestive side effects.

A couple of membershave suggested 2 others but they seem to have similar side effects.  I did not sleep much last night the pain was horrible

it seems to get worse from lying in one postion and after walking too much.

Today it has not been so bad.  I am sorry that there is nothing they can do for your hip.  As you say if you can get the muscles stronger perhaps that will help.  I wonder the same thing myself.  As I am typing this the pain is going all down the outside of my leg and back of the thigh. 

Tomorrrow I have to make a birthday cake for our grandson who will be 3 on Tuesday.  We are taking him to our local theatre for a dinosaur show which he is mad about. It has not had very good reviews so I am a bit concerned about it. 

As you know I don't drive and I would be lost without my husband to ferry me to appointments etc.   Wish in some ways I could have knee

replacement but they seem to think I should delay it. I don't fancy the recovery.  It would not be so bad if that was all but with the other leg and spine and neck arthritis I am worried also about pain relief the consultant said it is a very painful op and recovery.

Well I hope I sleep better tonight.

Have a  good week.

Love Carol

• Posted

Hello Eileen,  Have not spoke to you in ages,  Hope you are ok and coping well with everything.  Just wanted to say Merry Christmas and a Happy 2016.  I am still plodding along won't bore you with health problems.  My anxiety was set back in September when my husband got taken to A and E twice in a fornight with breathing problems.  It is most likely he has COPD (ex smoker although did give up 8 years ago). He is on 3 different inhalers.  He will be seeing the consultant (probably not the actual consultant) on Thursday been waiting since September it was suppose to be 6 weeks.  Just typical he somehow did not get referred back for A and E to clinic.  We phoned when no appointment came, just as well.  My son who is 43 had a minor stroke during all this.  He is fine and back at work caused they think by overwork,stress, but mostly letting his Diabetic control slip.  I hope next year is quieter in the health department,  Take care and all the best to you and your family.

Carol

• Posted

Hi Carol

I'm sorry I've not been on the forum for ages.

I must read back through this thread.....its awful to admit but I've forgotten most of it.

You've had an awful time what with your husband oin A & E twice and your  son as well.  The stress of this cant have done much good for you!!

I must try to get back on to this forum a bit more and find out whats happening.

You have to keep chasing hospitals for appointments or I find you do anyway. You'll have to bring me up to date about you....I think a lot of things have happened to me as well since we last spoke

Hope you have a happy Christmas and we both have a better New Year health wisebiggrin

I wonder why you 2 posts below mine were deleted?????? I dont recognise the names.

You take care and I'll try to get back to you and you let me know how you are getting on

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen,  I know what you mean I took a break from all the forums for a while but getting back to them now.  I seem to have been on loads of them at some time.  I did wonder how you were getting on with your hip.  If I remember rightly The greater something bone fracture which won't heal.  I agree with you hope next year will be better for us.  I have said this to a couple of friends I have (not on the forums) who have had a few problems.  

Hope you have a lovely Christmas what ever you do.  We will be spending it with family.  New addition expected next year.

Love Carolx

• Posted

Hi Carol,

Yes I was on loads at one time and then just took a break....like you.

Yes 4 weeks post op {hip replacement} doing NHS exercise and my hip fractured. The Greater Trochanter Bone  lol I had never heard of it. Well its a couple of years now and am still on crutches.  The consultant was giving me injections to stat with....thats the biggest problem ...the pain there. Not the arthritis or anything else. The crutches I'm coping with except at the moment its snowing and that is scary!!  The injection worked well the first time, 2nd time it didnt work 3rd time it worked for a very short time.  I went to the GP {for something else entirely} he was a different one and noticed that my GP {horrible person lol} had put me on 5mg of morphine, it didnt appear to be working so she said come off it and go back on to the codeine. Well when e noticed this he said "you've come off the MST? I told him why? and he said did she not suggest a slightly higher dose?"  He then said we GP's are "Scardey Cats" ..his words....and we have you on the lowest does of anything but if it doesnt work we try the next dose"  So he suggested I go on to 10mg.....not happy about it {a bit scared of it} I went on to it and it has made a difference.....not pain free by any means but a lot less pain than I had before.  I go back to see hime on Tuesday to tell him how I'm getting on with it.  Apparently he is only here for 1 year.....what a pity because he is lovely. So thats where I am at the minute.

You enjoy your Christmas with your family...you going to them?

Who's the new addition? I'm sorry can't remember how many you have and do you have any other grand children? I'm assuming its a grand child....not you??

The family are coming to us. I have 2.

Paul {son} and wife and 1 grandaughter 11 years old. We were going to them but they are just moving house before Christmas so they are coming to us.  So thats the 3 of them and my daughter and her partner but he wont be here until the evening. He's a chef and its his busiest time so he will be here shortly after tea time not for lunch. Thats it for us

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Thanks for bringing me up to date.  Things are about the same for me  arthritis all over, knees and back worse.  Still able to get out and about with stick, not like before when I was virtually housebound.  Ibs still playing up, had trouble with feeling spaced out and buzzing in ear, which I thought was probably my anxiety.  When to gp and she said I have had an outer ear infection. Got ear spray and nasal spray for my rhinitis, which is probably part of the problem.  I had laser treatment on my gaucoma eye, did not work so now on drops.  They seem satisfied don't go back until July.  

Yes we are going to my daughters the one with the  2 girls.  My other daughter who has the little boy is having another baby in June. My son just has the one he is nearly 19.  My girls are twins and they will be 40 in January and because other family members on my son in laws side are also 40 in January they are having one big 80s/90s party on New years Eve.  Jusy hope I  can last out the evening.

That's all.  Take care in the snow.

Love Carol

• Posted

Hi Carol

I'm sorry I havent answered sooner.  I dont know if you remember I live in the North East and my Mam who is 93 lives in her own house  in Northern Ireland.??  My brother is about 30 mins drive away but has his own house and she is on her own....thats the way she wants it.  Anyway he got a call to say she had had a fall and couldnt get up. When he got back the ambulance had arrived at the same time. She has broken her arm between shoulder and elbow. The only way she can walk around the house is with a threee wheel walker.......Anyway he rang me and we went over. The main problem is that with a broken right arm she will not be able to lean on it to support herself on her 3 wheeler so how can she walk? Even to the toilet?  Whe we arrived at the hospital after getting off the boat we went straight to see her. She seems to be quite well except for this arm which is black andblue and for someone her age???? We had to come back at the week end so I'm waiting for a call from Billy on Monday...there might be some news then...hospitals do nothing over the weekend  LOL

I'm glad you are able to get out and about even with a stick.....think of me with 2 crutches  LOL

Well our snow didnt last very long......dont know aboutyou?  Thank goodness it went quickly

I must get off now i'm still trying to catch up with posts and email.....once again sorry it tookso long to get back to you Hope you didnt think I didnt want to reply]

Hear you soon

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen,  Sorry to hear about your mum.  She is a good age. Yes you are right, hospitals don't do anything at the weekend.  I hope she gets on ok, I expect it will take time to heal because of her age.  Hope you hear from your brother tomorrow.  

I have been getting ready to go away.  Last week I had to go to the doctor, I might have told you.  My ears were so itchy and I started to get a low buzzing sound in the right one.  My gp said they looked dry and it looked like there had been an infection not in the inner ear just at the opening.  She gave me some ear spray to use for one week.  Well the itching improved and the buzzing went.  This evening the buzzing started in the other ear.  I am writing this as I can't sleep with the buzzing.  I fond it hard enough to sleep anyway.  Hope it is not tinnitus, my head has seemed congested and I do have rhinitis hope it's just that. 

Anyway have a lovely Christmas and I will get back to you again in the new year.

Love Carolx  Ps the buzzing has just stopped so will try to get back to bed and sleep.

• Posted

Morning Carol

I do hope you managed to get some sleep last night.

I've wakened up and am in agony ...I know its7am but I cant face getting washed and dressed yet because 'm so sore.....that small dose of  morphine was working for a while but it seems to have stopped!!! So I'm sitting here for a while after having taken some tablets and hoping the pain goes.......I know that you know what I mean.

You say  you are getting ready to go away?  Where?  I'm not quite with it at the minute sorry.

I hope you have a Lovely Christmas and we both have a Less painful New year

Love

Eileen xx

• Posted

Hi Carol

I've just skimmed through this thread of ours LOL  no one else seems to put anything on it after the first couple of postssmile  I noticed the bit about your knees...I had forgotten about the TKR {possibly}  did anything ever happen about that. Did you have one?

Sorry just thought.......dont epect you to answer this before New Year like you said but I'll forget to askwink

I had to laugh about the deal we made {over a year ago} you moan to me and I'll moan to you  cheesygrin

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen I did not expect to hear from you again before 2016 as well.  Your message came up when I checked my emails. Poor you I hope you find your pain settles this morning.  I appreciate it won't fully go away. My knees really are not too bad, the consultant advised not to have TKR until I really couldn't take it anymore.  It is my back that causes most problems OA I seem to get pain all over.  As you know I suffer from anxiety and all the health problems with husband and son seem to have brought it all back.  Now my daughter who is pregnant has depression problems so am worried about her.  We are going to my other daughters for Christmas and New year.  Looking forward to it but dreading it as well with my anxiety.  It is the pain and ibs and all the little different symptoms like my ears that I find so overwhelming.  Women are famous for multi tasking and my husband says how do we do it, but when it comes to illness I seem to be only able to deal with one thing at a time.  My son is coming to day to exchange presents so will find out how he is doing after his minor stroke.  I need to get away but just hope that I can keep up with everything.  There will be 4 children on christmas day and 9 adults so plenty going on.  Well a lot of washing to do before we go so better get on.

All the best

Love Carolx

• Posted

Hi Carol

I dont expect a reply to this.....well not for a while  biggrin I know you re away.....

I hope you are enjoying yourself and have had a good Christmas.

Thought I would bring you up to date about my mam.

You know she was in hospital.....well we went over and saw her for a few days. We got back here on the Sat and at the beginning of the week had a call from my brother to say they needed the bed {Whats new with the NHS LOL} They were putting a care package together for her so she could come home with more carers and extra equipment but needed the bed before that would happen so they were moving her into a nursing home opposite the hospital.

Billy said to me "I'm goingup tonight and I'll tell her she is going into respite for a couple of days.......nursing home seems very final.

He got to the hospital and the first thing she said to hime was "I'm going into a nursing home" Bless him he didnt get to break it gently but apparently she seemed quite happy. In hospitalshe was in bed all day and in pj's and was getting sick of that. 

Next day I got another call "She's on the move"  ?? She's in the nursing home already.  He then rang me after he had been to see her and said its like a hotel, she has her own room, OK she cant walk very well but they will dress her in the morning and if she wants to stay in her room she cand and if not she can buzz and they will take her to the community room or to the dining room for a cup of tea so it sounded OK.

Then Christmas lunchtime I got a call from her....she was back at home for a couple of hours.....apparently Billy can take her out anytime either of them feel like it. So thats the update.

Hope you are feeling OK?.....not any sorer than you are at home.?

I know I suffer when I go away....strange beds etc.

How is your son?

Have you managed Christmas Day  LOL  We just about managed it and we only had 7 people.

Well I'll go now

Love

Eileen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.