Mattresses for arthritis sufferers

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello, Can anyone advise on best type of mattress for arthritis, fibromyalgia etc.  In the past orthopaedic seemed the way to go, but my mattress although not ortho is too hard and uncomfortable.  I have been told about pillow top.  We are pensioners so cannot afford top prices.

Thanks.

2 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It is said that human beings can never sleep in one specific position. They start off with side sleeping and wake up in the morning, sleeping on their stomach. They keep on changing their positions in the night. It's quiet common to see that side sleepers are the most affected by hip pain. A right mattress can actually help them from this, without the need for any medicines. Although there are many causes for hip pain, arthritis is one of the prominent reasons.

Recommending the best mattress is actually a matter of personal choice. Some people find memory foam mattress very comforting. For others, it might be the latex. But when it comes to general reviews, latex and memory foam stands on top. Many people have found these two mattresses to provide a great relief for arthritis pain. I had gone through all the comments here and found one, that recommends to buy a mattress topper. Yes, that's right. I second to Eileen's comment. Buying a mattress topper is an affordable choice. Buy a 4 inch mattress topper of memory foam. If it's the side sleeping posture, that results in hip pain, there are specific mattresses for side sleepers. Choose a soft and comfortable memory foam mattress.  

• Posted

I have a memory foam mattress with 3inch topper and I wouldn't recommend a memory foam mattress. As since having the mattress 5 weeks I've not slept through the night without getting up or in pain. My previous bed was a divan with a mediums mattress with 2inch topper and wish I still had that bed .only got my bed as I'd moved into my own property. But then it's down to personal choice and trying them out before you buy

• Posted

Thank you for your input. I believe it is this mattress and I am going to return the bed but, I don't know what to get instead?

• Posted

I have an expensive Serta memory foam, split King and I have been having a problem with my legs and hip getting warm. I have to move over to another area for about 3 hours at a time and then it warms up again and I have pain that wakes me up. I've only had the bed about 6 weeks and finally decided after trying other pain relief thhings (Tramadol) and rubs that it is perhaps the bed? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! What mattresses do you recommend?

• Posted

Hello  As mentioned in another post it is hard to recommend any particular mattress, as it is a matter of personal choice.  I had a very uncomfortable one which seemed hard to me, so I thought I would need a very soft one, but they did seem a bit bouncy when I tried them. In the end I got one which was in the sale well known make and it seems great.   I don't get so many aches and pains at night, but of course with the oa I still suffer in the day.  I think a lot of people recommend a good quality thick mattress topper, maybe memory foam but not actually a memory foam mattress, although I think that as you have a problem with getting too warm they may not suit you.  I think there are mattresses available which specifically say they keep you cool, but which ones I don't know.  Sorry I can't be more helpful and I hope you are able to find one which which help you sleep comfortably and cool.

• Posted

Also meant to say I got a complete new bed kingsize instead of double and changed from divan to bedframe and mattress.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.