Maxillary sinus cyst!

Posted , 60 users are following.

Is there anybody else on here that has a maxillary sinus cyst and symptoms? I suffer with terrible headaches and facial pain, ear pain to name a few, but my ENT doctor thinks that the cyst is most definitely not the cause of my symptoms!! It's a long story but I can't begin to tell you how frustrating it is! Not being believed. I am in the U.K. and wondered if there was anyone else in the same situation? If you had it removed, what were the circumstances and who was your ENT surgeon?

Thanks in advance 😊

2 likes, 110 replies

110 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Pheeb, I'm from Wales, I'm waiting for an operation because I have an obstructed maxillary infundibulum. I've got nasal pressure and I feel it pulsating, I sometimes feel nauseous. A few months ago my eyes were bloodshot for 5 days and since then I have eye floaters, I had an eye test and everything came back normal. Sometimes the pressure feeling I get is mesmerising, I've also started to get neck soreness as well.

• Posted

I know the headache pressure feeling all too well. It makes you feel dizzy and out of it sometimes.

I feel for you. X

• Posted

Hi again, so far I don't suffer the dizziness but I also have persistent post nasal drip. My nose itself is ok it's like all the mucus is produced behind it, good luck to you also x

• Posted

Hi Pheeb, I have an appointment on tues 14 to get a biopsy done on something behind my nose which showed up on an MRI I got done for a pulsating left ear I'm hoping it is a cyst and nothing more sinister, I suffer from allergies and have a deviated septum, how did u find out you had a cyst and what symptoms did u have xx

• Posted

Hi Magi

I had headaches for years and they finally did an MRI scan. It showed the maxillary sinus cyst in my left side and also I have a condition called Chiari Malformation. I had brain surgery last august for the Chiari but I firmly believe that some of my headaches which are more pressure related, and the facial pain is down to the cyst. I also have dizziness, sore throat, a constant post nasal drip, eye pain. All pressure on left side and that's exactly where my cyst is. It takes up more than half of the cavity!!

I am sure yours will be a cyst. They are quite common apparently and normally benign too. Please keep us posted with how you get on darlin. I'm here if you want to chat. Xxx

• Posted

Thanks Pheeb x I definitely will Iv been googling so much lately related to this problem I'm so glad I came across this forum, as I write this my nose is constantly running my eyes are watering I pray I get it sorted when I go up next tues xx

• Posted

I'm sure it'll be something like a cyst. I'd imagine you've had tests done for allergies etc?

It took me 4 years to get a diagnosis for my Chiari Malformation and now I feel I have another battle on my hands with ENT. I'll be thinking of you on Tuesday. Please do let me know how it goes. Sending you a virtual hug 🤗 xxx

• Posted

Also Magi...a constantly running nose could be a CSF leak. Have they looked into that? The way to test this is with brown paper (like from a paper bag). Just normal mucus from your nose (snot) will be sticky but CSF is more like water. Google CSF leaks and how to test it. I'm not saying this to worry you, but more as a test you can do yourself.

Please know I'm here if you need to chat. Xxx

• Posted

I will do that Pheeb, and as for the allergy iv never been tested my gp said it's environmental they just gave me antihistamines, I'm going to look into everything and see what's happening I'm been too leaniant towards getting it sorted x

• Posted

HI Magi!! Just wanted to drop you. Line and see how you’re doing? X
    • Posted

i have a pulsating left ear which drives me crazy, im hearing it louder at the moment when my sinuses are blocked. what did your doctor say about it ? I've had it for about five years.

i went to the doctors last week and he said i had a polyp and swelling in each nasal cavity and gave me a nasal spray to use all year round. Since taking the spray my ears feel full.

HOPE WE ALL FEEL BETTER SOON x

• Posted

Hello Maxcyst I know you posted this a long time ago and who knows if you still follow this site but, I had a couple questions if you're still connected. I also have a chiari malformation and a mucous retention cyst on the left sinus. I'm getting ready to have my spinal decompression surgery in the next month. My questions are. Did your headaches and head pressure go down or away after surgery chiari one. If not did you ever get the cyst removed. I ask because if the cyst is removed and headaches go away is the decompression worth it or not because they say my surgery is elective my choose or not. Also one last question did you ever have a issue with you're left eye and ear throb. Thank you for you're time if you receive this message.

• Posted

I forgot to say I'm from Ireland and I also would have ear and throat pain in the left side when I swallow

• Posted

Magi....just wanted to drop you a line and see how you’re doing? Xx
  • Edited

I have a cyst in my left maxillary sinus cavity too. My family doctor seems to think that it's no big deal, and that it's too small to cause symptoms. Good thing I'm not going through him to deal with it. I go to the ENT that found it, and he said he could pluck it out when he does surgery for a deviated septum.

I get headaches on the left side of my head, and swelling of the left cheek. I also think all of the extra pressure is somehow affecting the left side of my throat. I'm also getting sinus and/or throat infections every couple of months, but I still feel bad in between the bouts of infections. The only thing that helps temporarily is a heating pad.

For what I've read, most of the time these cysts are found accidentally, and typically cause no symptoms. That might be true for some, but definitely not for all. Between the cyst and the doctor's beliefs, it's all so frustrating.

I'm in the US, but figured I'd let you know that you're not alone in this craziness, and I can completely relate to what you're going through. I hope you can find a better ENT soon, and get some relief.

• Edited

Wow, I could have written that myself Kim!

I've been having symptoms for 4 years now and they just keep telling me that a cyst doesn't cause symptoms. I'm going to try and find some medical papers or studies which suggest otherwise, and take it to my next appointment. I just hope they listen and give me the benefit of the doubt. I could actually cry right now, I'm that frustrated with it all.

I'm sorry you're going through this too! Let's hope you get some relief once they operate on your deviated septum and whoop that cyst out too! Keep me posted darlin if you can or want to. I do appreciate your reply as everyone just thinks I'm crazy. Xx

• Posted

Hi lovely! Just wondered how you were doing? Have you seen your ENT yet? xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.