May be getting sacked.

Posted , 9 users are following.

on my final written warning at work because had two seperate occasions were have been on the sick for anxiety and depression. First was four weeks second two weeks. But I have been told if I have another day off I will be at risk of losing my job, because I have suffered for eleven years and medicated  I'm supposed to be covered by the disability act. Previously I suffered severe depression and only this last year been diagnosed with severe anxiety. Now taking more medication and another one they want me to take but can't incase it makes me worse and have a day off. I had to leave the other day because I went into panic mode and trying hard to stay but the stress is killing me. If I lose my job I will lose my house and I'm a single parent, no other support. They have said I should knock on doors to speed things up ie CBT sessions and counciling and medication to work faster !! Stressed out, I don't want to feel Ill. Do they think Im not bothered ?  Don't know what to do . Has anyone else lost there job ? Who will employ me after this ? 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Unfortunately many employers do this kind of thing. From a business point of view it makes sense, from a personal point of view it sucks. The best advice I could give is if ure sure your going to get sacked, then it's beat to quit first - makes t easier to find other work
    • Posted

Know what your saying but not many jobs around and I'm a single parent and have a mortgage that needs paying . Just seems so unfair . And who is gonna employ me when they know my history now . Worked for the same place for many years now .
    • Posted

just want to say that i constantly see you on here supporting people and you have regulary replied to my posts, so think you for all your support jmcg2014 smile
    • Posted

Ah thanks that's kind of you. Your welcome, I know what it's like for things to feel so bad and just wanting to know your not alone,so I'm glad if I can do some of that :-)
  • Posted

Hi Sharon,  hat you have is a disability whether your eployer accepts it or not. You need to take steps to document your medical conditon. Start with you HR person and also start researching the steps tha you need to take. I know people who actually went on permanent disability because of this illness. Your physician will need to docume your situation. My Mom was one who ended up on permanent disability. Take this action before you get fired rather than having to sue after the fact. If you can afford a consult with an ADA attorney it would be a good idea. If not then google ADA laws for mental health. Good. Luck!
    • Posted

Thanks have it all documented already at work and they have it already . They are given updates every time I know something new and am waiting for a referral from one of the office occupational therapists to do a full written report . It's all there. So I'm not sure they can sack me to be honest but that's what they are saying because of business

Needs even when I'm there my stats are over 200% a day ! Im not a slacker I'm just poorly just so frustrating . Stress me out even more I'm sure it's making me worse . Have done everything they have asked of me chased my treatment . Got help . They just keep saying it's not fast enough .

• Posted

Sorry to hear about that will they not take a sick note from doctors
  • Posted

If you have been away from work for a certain amount of weeks, you will be contacted by your HR dept who sould refer you to occupational health. Occ health will look intoatr medical history by writing to your GP or sending you for an independent medical assessment provided you give your consent. You also have the right to see any report that is written before it is sent to your HR dept.

As your employer, they should be trying to ensure that you are happy at work and that it isn't a place that will give you unnecessary stress.

This is something that I would bring up with them.

If you need advice, perhaps discuss with you GP or HR dept.

• Posted

Thanks I'm waiting for a referral they refused

Previously but have agreed now so waiting for the appointment for a oh referral .

• Posted

Sharon thats just sucks. Ive been really lucky. I was off years ago for a couple of months but no repurcussions. I now work in an office with one other lady who was really supportive and the rest of my work didnt need to know. I could go for a walk if I felt the need and of course that lessened the pressure and anxiety.

What do you do if you dont mind me asking?

• Posted

I can see how that would be really hard work with anxiety. Like everyone says here they have a duty of care to you. Do you live in rented acc? If so you will get assistance. Please remember and I know its hard but there is answer to every problem.
    • Posted

Thanks live in mortgaged home so wouldn't get any help for 13 weeks .
  • Posted

Sharon your work have a duty of care to you! They should be concerned about your welfare and sending you to occupational health for an assessment! Don't let them bully you with the threat of sacking! You also have a duty of care to yourself so make sure you take whatever meds you need. Good luck with this. 
    • Posted

it really depends on the employer and the contract. for many they have a duty of care only while your actually in work, if your not fit for work then to be really honest - they can sack you for poor performance. many arent as harsh as this, but its within their rights to do it. again - contracts are the important thing. it does really suck, its very poor - but alas it does happen an awful lot

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.