May have emphysema

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I have been to the doc so today because of chest pain and some shortness of breath. They are testing me for emphysema next week.

i was fine until I had a cough which lasted about 3 weeks but was sent for a chest x ray which then took 10 days to come back. In that time, I convinced myself I had cancer but the x ray was clear. Unfortunately, I worked my way up into such a panic and anxiety that I couldn't seem to stop panicking. Was given anti depressants to help and was just starting to feel better. However, I still had chest pain and some shortness of breath, like I couldn't take a deep enough breath. I have now been having panic attacks all day again because I've managed to scare myself. I do smoke and was planning to give up once my anxiety was under control. I know I have to give up, I'm 48, but am so anxious now that I'm struggling with giving up. I am booked for a clinic next week.  Does all of this sound like emphysema?

thsnk you for any replies!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Have the dr do pulmonary function test, then you and he or she can discuss the results.  Good news the x Ray is good but that dose not show copd. Why are you smoking if you have chest pain. Go to the store and get a smoking aid please.
    • Posted

No the test isn't until next week and it's called a spirometry test. Is that the same as a pulmonary function test? 

I know, the smoking is the most stupid thing ever but I'm struggling because,I'm panicking.  I know it sounds ridiculous but it helps me.  I'm shaking all over, no appetite and very scared right now. Smoking is pathetic I knowthsnks for your reply ! X

• Posted

The spirometery is jus one of the tests but that's the one you need I quess first,  also no smoking a few days before the test.

• Posted

Thank You! I just don't know what to think I guess. I hate this awful anxiety and my head won't stop chattering about it!!! I guess you can lead a fairly normal life if you do get it? X

• Posted

Debbie just try hard to slow down. You are getting the cart ahead of the horse. I know waiting for tests and results to be honest is the hard part. The biggy is you don't have lung cancer. I was just diagnosed with COPD. It was overwhelming. That was two weeks ago. I was out on oxygen BUT only on excertion. Going up and down stairs. I was mortified when the equipment was delivered. Now that I have a routine I am no longer stresses. I don't need it while sleeping. I don't need it watching tv. I do need it on excertion. That works our to about 2 hrs a day and that's being generous. Please settle down. You may not even need it. Maybe just an inhaler. All is good. Take a deep breath and chill out. 

Ellen from Canada

• Posted

Ah thank you! I know I'm being stupid and getting ahead of myself. I don't get out of breath on exertion but sometimes feel I need to take a deep breath when just sitting down, but sometimes can't get that real lungful. Funnily enough, the chest pain has pretty much disappeared this morning although I'm still panicky and my heart is racing. I hope it is just my anxiety but will have the tests. I also have t had any shortness of breath for a couple of days and don't get it when walking up hills or anything, just the normal breathing a bit harder.

need to get my anxiety under control!

Thank you for helping me x

• Posted

Hi Debbie ( Robert in OZ ) 

Ellen Is right. Until you have ALL of the test done, just calm down because its YOU that is causing your problem at the moment. Your mind is working overtime and the CIGS are ( you think) giving you the prop to lean on.

We have all been brain washed by the cig companies. PLEASE make a choice.

YOUR WILL or there ADVERTISING B*** S***.

I tried for years, but one day I woke up and  realised I had not had a CIG for 3 days.

I really hope your results are good and even so, COPD need not be a death sentance. There are many of us around the world with this disease and here we are talking about.

• Posted

Hi Robert 

ah thanks for your reply.. I know you and everyone else here are right!  Until I have the tests I won't know.  You're right in that my panic attacks and anxiety are just making matters worse. I'm just thinking about it all day long and need to somehow switch off and calm down.  Easier said than done but have to keep trying.  

I only first started to get like I needed to take a deep breath when I had acid reflux which was in October. Was fine before that. Acid reflux meds don't work so have just put up with it. The. I got the cold from hell and then the cough. Doc decided on chest x ray and I convinced myself I had lung cancer. Waiting for the results just turned me into an anxious wreck, never experienced anything like it. And even when they told me they were ok, I couldn't stop being panicky and anxious! Weird!  I guess I've probably worked myself up so much that my chest pain and everything else just won't go away.  But I know I must have these tests to find out if I do have copd.  The doctor didn't help by being very rude as soon as I walked into the surgery, basically saying you have 10 mins to tell me your problems, didn't examine me at all and the just said it's emphysema!  Was a bit shocked to be honest which certainly didn't help my anxiety!!  

I'm booked into a no smoking clinic and am determined to stop. It has to stop as otherwise I will worry all the time now.  

Again, thank you for your reply

debbie...know Uk!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.