Me Again👋 I have Steriod tablets hope they work!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I received a callback today from my rheumy nurse who managed to speak to my rheumy doctor and she has prescribed me some Steriod tablets for the next 4 weeks until my next appointment on 23rd June.

I am Starting on 20mg per day for a week reducing them Down by 5mg each week and then stop.

Praying they help greatly with my joints and pain 🙏🏼🙏🏼😊

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I also hope the steroids reduce the pain right down.  The dosage is about right to start but reducing down by 5 mg is very fast.  10% of the dose is the recomended reduction e.g. 15 mg would be 1.5 mg reduction and at 10 mg  by 1 mg?

Best of luck, John

• Posted

Oh really ?I have no idea john I have it on my box and nurse explained it over the phone so following orders. Not sure what the side effects are doin it so fast if any ?

Thanks

• Posted

There is a reaction when the two are taken together.  The preds don't work as well if calcium is taken at the same time.  Eileen will no doubt explain better in medical terms.  The instructions on the calcium state 'Adults and Elderly 2 chewable tablets a day, preferably one tablet morning and evening'  I believe so it is easier to absorb in the stomach

Have you spoken to you PCP or GP about?  Steroids 'cure' the symptoms by supplying the body with cortisone because the adrenal gland is not supplying enough.  If the inflammation is still there when you get to around 5 mg - this is what the adrenal gland would normally produce - it will have to work overtime.  Long term use of steroids shut down the adrenal producing cortisone hence the need to reduce SLOWLY until it kicks back into action!

Also it takes a short time for the body to 'settle down' that’s why there is a gap at each reduction.   If this is the first time of taking steroids it will be not so much of a problem.

I don't want to frighten you but there are around 84 side effect!!   You will not get all of them and may will not get any - they are all listed on the data sheet that came with the tablets.   The reason there are so many, and it the same for most drug, is the manufactures are scared stiff of being sued so list everything possible!

• Posted

Hi Oregonjohn

are you talking about Adcal ? ( calcium and vitamin D)think you only get prescribed these on long term prednisolone course of tablets.

if I understand correctly this is Michelle's first taper of prednisolone, so no need to worry about the long term effects of prednisolone. My experience that rheumies very keen to only use pred as necessary. It s a godsend when the pain is so bad and you re waiting for something else to work. 10mg and less is considered a low dose and some people are on higher amounts for different conditions. 

I agree with you the ' possible side effect' sheet is crazy.....

• Posted

Yes your right rowbirdie- I am on a short term course of prednisolone. They told me I can't stay on it long term ,it is just to tide me over until 23rd June appointment. 😉
    • Posted

You don't need the other meds to counter the steriods side effects if it's only taken short term.  Adcal or Calcichew are calcium + D3 and are prescribed to reduce contracting Osteoporosis,   It's a rough old world when you have to take one med and then others to counter their effects, and they may have there own side effects etc etc.
  • Posted

Hi

really pleased you ve got that.

i had exactly that taper for my first steroids last July ! ( 4 months after diagnosis) It s good your appointment is straight after the 4 weeks as I found 5 mg not enough to keep inflammation at bay, but hope it will be good for you. 

• Posted

With regard to side effects, I found a bit of ' fight or flight' feeling taking pred. - a bit more emotional. Just blamed the tablets and was grateful it eased the inflammation and pain . Let us know how you get on.
    • Posted

I will keep you informed. I have never drove so quick to the pharmacy at hospital to collect them this afternoon! 😄
  • Posted

sad  I have been on and off prednisone for over 20 yrs. Was diagnosed in Arizona and Dr. gave me 160mg. injection then 60 mg. for next day and decrees by 5 mg. each day ....to get me home without pain. Got home and in hospital for a week . Started on RA drugs but they didn't help. After a yr. was put on MTX and once it kicked in I got down to 7 mg. per day but took 6 more years to get right off the pred. This past Feb. I got pneumonia and they took me off RA drugs for 6 weeks so back onto 10mg. pred. Then she put me back on MTX and added Orencia. They are working pretty good so am now down to 6 mg pred. per day. You CAN NOT decrees it quickly. My Dr. lets me decrees by 1 mg. every month.

The only side affects I have had is trouble sleeping and a bit of dpression at times.

Wishing you all the best .

• Posted

Wow Lois I Have been advised to take 20mg, then 15mg, then 10mg down to 5mg in last week. The capsules are 5mg each so take 4 per day to start with.

I when never taken these before and she did once I start I must not stop. A tad concerned now you have said this. Did you experience Any weight gain?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi michelle

sorry to keep cropping up here... But.... The slow decrease is if you have had a long time on prednisone . This happens if it takes a while to find the right meds or if the 5mg steps down prove too big. This was exactly what I was prescribed at first so must be standard practice at the moment.

You are on a short tapered dose so you are very unlikely to put on weight  in that time, though take care if you notice it going on. I would ask at your appointment  about side effects if you find out then that you might need  it for longer.take a step at a time as it is a bit of trial and error for them to find what works for each person.

• Posted

No I didn't have any weight gain. If you are only on for a short period of time you can decrees at a higher level , but I was on them for such a long period.  Was nice to be off them for several years so hope I can get off them again soon .

Good Luck , Michelle

• Posted

Morning

I have just taken my first 20mg dose hoping this starts to make a difference soon. I am struggling this morning with a lot of pain and had a rough nights sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.