Me - Menopause, migraine?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Where do I post this? Under migraines? Menopause? Topiramate? Depression? Anxiety? I don't know what it is?

I always suffered with migraines, I thought I'd got it from my Dad.....but then on what I thought was a seperate issue I was being diagnosed for infertility as I was unable to have children. You could practically set your watch by my periods, every 21 days, the pain was absolutely unbearable, FSH levels sky high, LH levels through the floor. Eventually I went into the menopause at 38. Around the same time my migraines got a whole lot worse and I now suffer with them every month. I think I get two types of migraines, but one of them around the same time each month. They can be so debilitating they can on occasion have me on a drip in hospital. They have seen me black out completely and just wake up wired up to machines and intreveniously trying to fill me back up with fluids to rehydrate me. Unable to walk, talk or anything.

So now, here I am at 45, my latest MRI is clear, my neurologist has retired and and I am on Topiramate and I have developed other symptoms not so desirable. I now also have Anxiety and depression, possibly caused by the Topiramate. Topiramate has a few contra-indications, as in it doesn't like many other drugs. All in all, it's a pretty stroppy drug who doesn't like to have friends! Wants you all to itself by all accounts....

So last week I was tried on Sertraline.....oh dear.....the doctor checked the contra-indications.....she said it would be ok.....instead of the normal 50mg, she would have me start on 100mg because I was not a small person.....well, within 24hrs I was in a pretty bad state and am still suffering a week later....my anxiety is rife....

So, there is my story. Still open-ended.....Does anyone have any experience with menopause and migraines? can anyone relate to anything I am going through? Can anyone share what they have done to deal with things?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Bella,

I really feel for you. I only came across this site by chance a few days ago and i love it the girls on here are lovely and soo helpful.

I too have migraines had them since i was 7/8 then about 5 years ago they becamme really frequent ( funnuily enough i was having hot flushes about 2 years before that) they were in a pattern of around 7 in 2 weeks then a break of 2/3 weeks and the cycle started again. They wernt as bad as the ones i use to have once or twice a year so managed to work through it. Had all the blood tests but they showed normal!! Although that would depend on the person and as they didnt have any to guage against waste of time really!! However i know my body! They then stopped around November last year until thsi week!!! Could of cried and they are painful!! same pattern as before sometimes 2 a day with a couple of days off!! Makes me want to scream!! I also suffer from sickness food tastes different or makes me urge i feel unbalanced sometimes very hot sometimes very cold and then surprise surprise period is a no show this month!! Despite my last lot of bloods coming back as normal if not a little high in the estrogen stakes!! So all in all 7 years so far lol

I just keeping watching dallas and smile!!

P.s Jay on here is brilliant about letting you know what supps to take i took my list Sat however got a migraine and had to come back!! It was like the little devil knew i was trying to get rid of it!! so fingers crosssed i will try again!

Chin up hun we are all here and in the same boat .

Big hugs xx

• Posted

Hi everyone.....thanks for your responses. I don't get chance to log in very often. Nice to see there is a lot of support. Not a lot of people with the same issue asme, but I can see from the responses that there is a good network here! smile

Silverluna, I do wonder if your migraines have anything to do with your cycle too? There's clearly a pattern?

My periods may have gone a long time ago, but I still feel that there is a cycle of sorts there, albeit perhaps a more decorative one that holds plants in the garden rather than a constructive one we might use to get us somewhere? wink

I take it you keep a diary? I had no idea until I started keeping a diary. Then all of a sudden, the 2nd or the 3rd or whatever kept coming up.....

I have the other fuzzy head today. I have my Imigran with me. My doctor has given me the same thing in the form of a nasal spray. I'm very nervous about trying it....it's gathering dust.

• Posted

Hi Bella

I am smiling as i have 10 years of peri meno diaries and now on my post menopause diary 😃 its like a book shop .. Boring read though..

Jay xx

• Posted

Not so daft a thing to do. Keep a diary Jay ,I tell my girl to do it ,as you put that meno list up ,look how many have related to that and ticked those off . 

So a diary is good write the lot down ,see a pattern as to this meno goings on .I keep note book handy ,for tips on any of my probs .Keep it handy for my girl whose having meno symptoms .xxxx

• Posted

The diary has proved invaluable to me Jay! I would recommend it to anyone. smile I think Ive got a bit confused over who I'm replying to and ended up talking to myself lol...
    • Posted

Hi Bella 

hahahahahahaha thats funny ...

yes the diary is good to keep track i use to keep note on all my peri periods ( i am post menopause now) i could see them how they got less each year .. etc ...  took nearly 10 years mind 😳

got there in the end ... i am age 50 now ..

jay xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.