measuring bp

Posted , 7 users are following.

ok, little rant here, but i really dont understand the way bp is measured and this seems to be an opinion shared by some doctors.

The instructions like no talking, no music, 30 mins after caffine, rest for 5 mins,  arm at certain height etc are just ridculous. No one’s day to day life is like that. 

if high bp is dangerous it shouldnt matter what you are doing with a few exceptions like exercising at gym.

I can understand doing it to establish a level to check whether trend is up or down but to determine your actual bp it all seems at bit false to me.

Certainly at the doctors they bever do that and when you wear a 24hr ambulatory device you are exoected to go about your day to day activities which makes sense to me.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The more I read about bp the more sceptical I become.

I mean were told in 90% of cases they dont know what causes high bp.

It has no symptons yet we sure its shortening life.

some say dustolic of 110 is crisis some say 120 , some say 130.

Sime say go straight to er with high bp, others say best treated with local gp.

• Posted

oops shouldve been deleted not posted
    • Posted

infraction...True...in most cases they don't know what causes bp to rise..BUT...if there's something going on in the body, the bp will rise. It's the body's way of saying..'hey, something's wrong here". Even if you're not feeling well, the bp will be elevated.

Many medical sites have encouraged doctors to try to find out what's going on in  person's body before they prescribe bp meds...but I've never heard of anyone doing such a thing..

• Posted

The more I read about bp the more sceptical I become.

I mean were told in 90% of cases they dont know what causes high bp.

It has no symptons yet we sure its shortening life.

some say dustolic of 110 is crisis some say 120 , some say 130.

Sime say go straight to er with high bp, others say best treated with local gp.

• Posted

oops meant to delete but somehow posted!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.