Mebeverine - how long until it works?!

Posted , 14 users are following.

A week ago I was given Mebeverine tablets by my doctor for IBS and so far I am experiencing little, if any, change in my symptoms. My main symptom has been chronic stomach pain, nearly always late evening/early hours of the morning. Perhaps it has helped to make symptoms appear slightly less frequently but certainly in terms of easing the pain there is no change. Am I expecting too much too soon?!

9 times out of 10 my pain is in the middle of the night (not every night thank goodness), and I have to get up for several hours as I can't sleep. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now. Needless to say I am tired and starting to get upset and stressed by it, which I doubt is helping!

I am seeing my doctor again this week but feel almost at my wits end, so any advice about whether Mebeverine needs a little more time to kick in, or whether others were prescribed this and it didn't work and something else was given to them instead would be useful to know.

I stumbled on this site by accident some days ago and like others have said, it is just reassuring to know that it is not just me, and other people know what it is like to have their life disrupted and controlled by IBS.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

T.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Mebeverine acts mostly on the Colon (so if your No 2s are a bit dodgy it can help) but if its your Intestines that feel like theyre jumping through hoops with gurgling and aching what you need is a medicine called [b:82f3adf224]Merbentyl[/b:82f3adf224], you can buy it (well 10mg ones) at the chemists smile
  • Posted

It's strange that you should wake up in the night with pain, as the gut normally 'goes to sleep' when we do. Also you say you have stomach pain, but I would say that my experience of IBS is that the pain is lower, in the abdomen.

If Mebeverine doesn't work for you, you can buy Buscopan (hyoscine) or Colpermin (peppermint oil). I don't often get the pain, but think I overdid the linseed this morning and suddenly had an excrutiating attack. I took the Buscopan, had a lie down with a hot water bottle on my abdomen, and it worked within an hour.

Excess wind can also cause a lot of pain, and charcoal tablets and peppermint tea can help with this.

Hope you get on OK with your doctor's visit.

• Posted

Hi SnazBaz

Thanks for reading my message and replying. I perhaps should have been more specific - the pain, generally, is very low down on the right hand side, so not really my stomach (although every once in a while it likes to surprise me and is higher up, not far below the rib cage).

We eat quite late, around 9pm, which I think must be a factor? But my husband is the cook in the house!

Currently I am cutting out/down dairy as a food diary suggests this could be a factor, although I am sure this bout was initially brought on by stress. Also got some peppermint tables that breakdown in the intestine and not the stomach, so am hoping that relief will come soon!

Going to see how I go, but if no improvement I will give Buscopan a try. Not seeing doctor until Friday, get results of blood tests too but feel certain this is IBS.

Best wishes

T.

• Posted

Hi

Check out A headache in the pelvis in YouTube it will lead you to there site which is very very interesting to say the least.

Regards Pamela

• Posted

Ah, lower right pain, yes Peppermint and or Buscopan might help, some Paracetamol might help aswell smile
  • Posted

Thanks for replying Dr Spock (both times!). Took me awhile to work out that paracetamol was going to be better than nurofen, which didn't touch the pain and as I understand, may have been making it worse.

Thanks again

T.

• Posted

Its true, folks with gastro problems should never take Ibuprofen. Yes the pains can be bad :? you should keep an eye on that smile
  • Posted

Hi there,

Ive been on Meveberine for over a year now. It didnt work for weeks and I went back to the Dr and they gave me Fybogel (which Ive also had before). I spoke to a colleague who has IBS and she said to persevere with the Mev so I did and now I cant be without it. I was on 3 a day and Im now down to one. I have to say that my pain is also lower left (colonic).

Good luck

• Posted

Hi cherry,sorry to bother you but could you please tell me how long it takes for men to start working? Have been on it for three days.thanks.
  • Posted

I have the exact problem, i got diagnosed yeserday and the tablets make me g dizzy and feel sleepy, . I dont feel like th tableta are workig to be honest xx
  • Posted

Hi, I'm new to the forum and just wanted some help. I've been diagnosed with IBS after four years of pain and many tests, plus the removal of my gall bladder, but still the symptons persist. Essentially, my pain is always in my righ side at the back, it's a cramp pain with varying degrees of severity. At the same time I get an indigestion pain in my stomach with nausea again varying degree of severity. I have changed my diet, completely wheat free and am very careful what and when I eat. The pain always came on in the day between 10.00am and 10.00pm, everyday and generally lasts for 1 to 3 hours - I get the odd day off, but these are rare. However for the last 5 months the pain comes on between 1.00am and 5.00am each night and I am so tired not only of the pain, but the disturbed nights. No pain medication has any effect on the pain and I am really struggling. I currently take Mebeverine 3 times a day and omeprezole once a day, I also take amitriptyline 20mg daily too, but nothing seems to make the symptons go or change them. My IBS is constipation and I take senna and dulcosate to help with stool transit. I wondered if anyone else has similar problem. Any help would be much appreciated.
  • Posted

I have just been given mebeverine for ibs! The last two mornings have been the worse! Waking early with stomach cramps and feeling generally unwell! Any advice you can give regarding the right diet for this problem please?
  • Posted

Hi, I was given Mebeverine and I think it made my symptoms worse, but I had better results with enteric coated peppermint capsules.
  • Posted

I am tskeing meveberine for a week i dont no how until long to work

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.