Mebeverine - how long until it works?!

Posted , 14 users are following.

A week ago I was given Mebeverine tablets by my doctor for IBS and so far I am experiencing little, if any, change in my symptoms. My main symptom has been chronic stomach pain, nearly always late evening/early hours of the morning. Perhaps it has helped to make symptoms appear slightly less frequently but certainly in terms of easing the pain there is no change. Am I expecting too much too soon?!

9 times out of 10 my pain is in the middle of the night (not every night thank goodness), and I have to get up for several hours as I can't sleep. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now. Needless to say I am tired and starting to get upset and stressed by it, which I doubt is helping!

I am seeing my doctor again this week but feel almost at my wits end, so any advice about whether Mebeverine needs a little more time to kick in, or whether others were prescribed this and it didn't work and something else was given to them instead would be useful to know.

I stumbled on this site by accident some days ago and like others have said, it is just reassuring to know that it is not just me, and other people know what it is like to have their life disrupted and controlled by IBS.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

T.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Mebverine can't do with me.I tried it many times.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.